Send a message via ICQ to _mick_
Angry Re: nvidia driver makes x flicker at random times

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarooticus
I had this problem until I turned off the hardware cursor:

Section "Device"
Option "HWCursor" "0"
Option "SWCursor" "1"

Let me know how this works out for you guys.

Cheers,
Kyle

I tried some of these option arguments which only makes the start menu and the KDE splash screen appear smaller. Still have the flicker problem though.
I thought recompiling the kernel (ver. 2.6.7) to exclude the frame buffer option would help, but the flicker continues.
Is it possible it might be the actual X server?? Ive been using KDE. Ill be trying Afterstep soon. Ive had a problem with KDE and the EZWGL GUI package (seg faults) but all was ok when switching to Gnome. Just an idea... since nVidia is so slow to respond or do anything to address this problem.
Personally, I think it shows a very unprofessional side to nVidia to provide release after release of dodgy drivers for non-Window$ operating systems. The application Im working on requires an OpenGL friendly graphics card and the popular opinion was OpenGL = nVidia (not ATI). At least a "yes we're working on it" or "so far we've discovered ..." update from nVidia would be good, but repeated emails with no replies has me regretting paying that little bit more for a laptop fitted with an nVidia card, and now Im questioning whether I should have taken the gamble with ATI.

Thats my 2 cents!
_mick_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-04, 04:19 PM   #38
biehl

Default Re: nvidia driver makes x flicker at random times

Actually I wouldn't ditch KDE quit yet - as "alexdeac" writes above a workaround seems to be to use the KDE system tool to change the update frequency - if I change my modelines to the ones that run at 60 or 75 Hz I get less flickering, but if I make KDE change the update frequency (from say 75 to 60 HZ) at KDE-startup then i get NO flickering!!!

Hope this helps
Anders
biehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-04, 07:07 AM   #39
alessio facen

6111 doesn' fix the problem. After a month, no replies from nVidia stuff. wonderful.
alessio facen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-04, 05:17 PM   #40
SparrowHawk

Unhappy Re: nvidia driver makes x flicker at random times

Just to add my voice to the people who are experiencing this problem. I've mentioned this problem it in another thread, and started one of my own (search for posts by me if you'd like to see them).

For people (like me) who don't seem to be able to solve this problem by turning off the hardware cursor, the only common element I've seen are that they are using "Go" cards (in laptops). I personally have a GeForce FX Go5600 in an Alienware 51m and am using RH9. I've tried all the suggested solutions ( modelines, kernels, HW/SW cursor ).

Its really quite an annoying problem, and is my only complaint about the nvidia drivers. They work quite well otherwise. I do finally have to conclude its something wrong with the their driver, b/c both Windows and the X "nv" driver don't have the random flicker.

I REALLY wish they would give this some attention. I'm happy to give any info to help them investigate.
SparrowHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-04, 04:54 AM   #41
alessio facen

News: 6111 x86-32 doesn't solve the problem, and actually now the flicker doesn't disappear after the resolution change (that worked with 6106).

After 1 1/2 month still no answer from linux-bugs@nvidia.com.

Three days ago I asked them at least whether they were working on it; I could have obtained the same answer sending an e-mail to a thick bricks wall.
That is, NO ANSWER AT ALL.

*sigh*.
alessio facen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-04, 06:31 PM   #42
champi

I've been searching for a long time on the internet, thinking it was a screen related problem. I even was about to call Viewsonic to change my monitor.

But I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having this problem !... But not glad nvidia can't fix it

I have a GeForce Ti 4800 SE, connected on a Viewsonic VP211B (LCD 21", 1600x1200) via DVI link. I tried all the tricks given in this thread, none of them worked.

Please, please, do something, nvidia !!!
champi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 05:57 PM   #43
_mick_
Mick

Send a message via ICQ to _mick_
Thumbs down Re: nvidia driver makes x flicker at random times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alessio facen
News: 6111 x86-32 doesn't solve the problem, and actually now the flicker doesn't disappear after the resolution change (that worked with 6106).

After 1 1/2 month still no answer from linux-bugs@nvidia.com.

Three days ago I asked them at least whether they were working on it; I could have obtained the same answer sending an e-mail to a thick bricks wall.
That is, NO ANSWER AT ALL.

*sigh*.
Yeah same problem here! I sent a few emails asking what's the latest... but no reply. I'm starting to think the linux-bugs email is a void address... for the sake of being able to say theyre interested in linux user's feedback/problems.
Its a shame that a company can put out such a shotty product and call it 'stable'... and then turn a blind eye to all the complaints.
I should have gone radeon

I have found a solution / work-around until (hopefully) nVidia get their act together... uninstall the nVidia driver, delete the install package from your system so you don't get tempted to reinstall it again, and change your xorg.conf or XF86Config file to use the linux-supplied nv driver. It may not be the best option, but it gives my Dell laptop its recommended 1680x1050 resolution WITHOUT the random flicker. It'll have to do for now.
_mick_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-04, 09:59 AM   #44
wgitscht

i already started another thread cause i didn't see that one.. i got the random flicker too ( go5700 ) and the only way for me to avoid it is to start x with an crt monitor connected and twinview to clone... then i can disconnect the crt monitor and work flickerfree till the next x restart....

i think this is a bug and one can't fix it with the options of the driver... hopefully nvidia will take care of it some time..
wgitscht is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-04, 04:50 PM   #45
bithir

Currently no replies in this thread at all from NVidia.
I am bumping this because we are a decent sized crowd all having this problem with the *Go-cards.
bithir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-04, 05:28 PM   #46
SparrowHawk

Lightbulb Re: nvidia driver makes x flicker at random times

I found a possible work around in another thread, though its still annoying for me. If not already there, put another resolution in your XF86Config other then what you normally use. Once you've got X running, do a CTRL+ALT+"PLUS" to cycle through your resolutions, all the way through to the one you use. (you need to use the + on your num pad, so if you use a laptop like me the actual key combo is ctrl alt Fn ; all at once).

This stops the flicker for me. If I close and restart X, its back. Id be intrested to hear if this also helps other people. Hopefully nvidia will get this fixed soon.
SparrowHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-04, 08:00 AM   #47
ChangWufei

Add me to the list of users with this problem. i have an Acer Aspire 1714SMi, go5700

Thanks.
ChangWufei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 09:53 AM   #48
biehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparrowHawk
I found a possible work around in another thread, though its still annoying for me. If not already there, put another resolution in your XF86Config other then what you normally use. Once you've got X running, do a CTRL+ALT+"PLUS" to cycle through your resolutions, all the way through to the one you use. (you need to use the + on your num pad, so if you use a laptop like me the actual key combo is ctrl alt Fn ; all at once).

This stops the flicker for me. If I close and restart X, its back. Id be intrested to hear if this also helps other people. Hopefully nvidia will get this fixed soon.

Hi, I believe that is the same phenomenon I see when changing the resolution (or less anoying - the refresh rate) through the KDE control center.

-Anders
biehl is offline   Reply With Quote