Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-21-04, 03:50 PM   #1
FOXX

Default Unable to insert module with Slack 9.1 & 2.6.6 kernel

I've been beating my head on this for awhile and while I saw some similar posts none of them seemed to help with my installation issue.

The installer (and doing it manually as well) compiles a module for my kernel (2.6.6, running perfectly fine) to be used with my GF2 Ultra 32MB (old, but free). It compiles the module perfectly fine but it's unable to insert the module into the kernel and the installer dies, leaving the directories without the kernel modules within them.

I've recompiled my kernel three times (two different kernels), enabled and disabled various modules, run the modprobe myself in order to make sure it has no difficulty inserting and removing kernel modules (which it does). I've run the installer as root (hard root, not su root) and nothing seems to help.

I can list anything you think might possibly help with installing the driver. I just have no clue as to what to do anymore and I've stumped the entire Pensacola LUG. It shouldn't matter but it's an SiS board and the card is in the AGP slot (for whatever reason it had to be a 32MB card, couldn't support a 64MB card).

The card's been sitting in the slot useless for over a month now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
FOXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-04, 10:26 AM   #2
FOXX

Default Re: Unable to insert module with Slack 9.1 & 2.6.6 kernel

So after twenty-five page views nobody has any suggestions? Fun.
Old 06-23-04, 12:17 PM   #3
FOXX

Well, is there maybe some way for me to just compile the module and NOT have it inserted? Perhaps the installer is attempting to insert it incorrectly.

As it doesn't seem to have any issues compiling the module I'm inclined to believe it's reading the correct sources. I don't know why it's not inserting though because with Slack 9.1 I have the latest binutils suite (including modprobe).
Old 07-16-04, 12:53 PM   #4
FOXX

I've read about this problem many times above this post now (significant time has passed I figured) and nobody seems to answer it. What exactly is the problem with inserting the module?
Old 07-16-04, 11:27 PM   #5
skerb1

well what version of the driver are you using...
the only thing i can think of is that if you had 4k kernel stacks enabled the older drivers would not work...
make sure you are using the 6106 version of the drivers or disable the 4k kernel stacks...
skerb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-04, 02:22 AM   #6
blackrainbow
geforce fx 5600

Send a message via ICQ to blackrainbow

hi

i want just to make sure, that you use the "new" module-init-tools...
thats a mistake i often made.

i'm using kernel v2.6.6 with slackware 9.1 and it all works fine with my geforce fx 5600....

mfg,
steff.
blackrainbow is offline   Reply With Quote