Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-22-04, 08:58 AM   #13
Imek
Fanatical apathist

Default Re: New drivers out on august/september

Please, no!!

They told me within three WEEKS, not MONTHS.. I suppose I'll have to abandon any hope of getting any 3D acceleration in 32 bit mode on my amd64 box for a very long time...
Old 06-22-04, 10:15 AM   #14
cabrilo

Angry Re: New drivers out on august/september

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuLinUX
Well hopefully then It should be a good solid quality release, why else would it take nvidia this long!
Because they don't employ nearly enough people/hours to develop linux drivers properly?

I too hope and anticipate some better quality drivers, but the lack of support from nvidia is just becoming annoying. OK, I respect that they want to create good drivers (hopefully, you are right and I am wrong) and they want/need to keep them closed, but would it be so hard to give us an update every once in a while!? As of now, we don't know for sure if they are even developing anything.

It's sad that there are only two competent video manufacturers out there (NVIDIA and ATI), and that neither one is able to percieve the opportunity of Linux. I am with nvidia right now because they have a slightly less sucky drivers, but the next time I upgrade, I will think twice before I buy... It's not just about performance, its about customer respect as well. And this time, it's getting personal
cabrilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-04, 02:10 PM   #15
Mow

Quote:
It's sad that there are only two competent video manufacturers out there (NVIDIA and ATI), and that neither one is able to percieve the opportunity of Linux. I am with nvidia right now because they have a slightly less sucky drivers, but the next time I upgrade, I will think twice before I buy... It's not just about performance, its about customer respect as well
While I respect your opinion ..... I think that eventually crappy drivers would weigh in pretty heavy. Because to me crappy drivers mean "well we don't care about you because you're not mainstream so you're an after-thought".

I'd rather wait 6 months for a good driver than 3 for a crappy one. I will say this, NVIDIA better release a good driver or there will be even MORE bitching.
Mow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-04, 03:06 PM   #16
Thunderbird

From what I have heard the drivers will be out soon, where soon doesn't mean august/september or next year.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-04, 04:07 PM   #17
sc3252

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Analog Kid
You'd regret that decision, do you even know how bad ATI Linux drivers are. I've seen a 9800 Pro run slower than a GeForce 5200 Ultra in Linux.
Yeah i am sure he wouldnt want an ati card, i just switched from a 9800, and nvidia's drivers are not perfect but my 9800 was as slow or slower than a geforce 2 i had a while back. Only in quake 3 based games was it fast, but in those games there were artifacts, also memory leaks in some games like neverwinter nights. ut 2004 is not playable, driver releases that we waited for months only included an extra video card being supported, and it keeps going on.
sc3252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-04, 04:20 PM   #18
SuLinUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrilo
Because they don't employ nearly enough people/hours to develop linux drivers properly?

I too hope and anticipate some better quality drivers, but the lack of support from nvidia is just becoming annoying. OK, I respect that they want to create good drivers (hopefully, you are right and I am wrong) and they want/need to keep them closed, but would it be so hard to give us an update every once in a while!? As of now, we don't know for sure if they are even developing anything.

It's sad that there are only two competent video manufacturers out there (NVIDIA and ATI), and that neither one is able to percieve the opportunity of Linux. I am with nvidia right now because they have a slightly less sucky drivers, but the next time I upgrade, I will think twice before I buy... It's not just about performance, its about customer respect as well. And this time, it's getting personal

To be fair I have run the following games without any probelms,

UT2004
Quake3
Tribes2
NeverWinter Nights
Serious Sam2 (beta installer)
Various Linux 3d/2d games

They are compareble to Windows speeds easy and never had a lockup so as far as I'm conserned the 5336 is solid. A good 20-40% Plus in fps would be nice and really should come, they can do it in Windows constistant why not Linux.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-04, 04:53 PM   #19
kmare

Send a message via ICQ to kmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
From what I have heard the drivers will be out soon, where soon doesn't mean august/september or next year.
I really do hope so... I need the new drivers 'cause I want to stay up2date with the latest kernel release but it is ok to me if they'll release in 1-2 months from now.
But I won't ever switch to ati. Their drivers and linux support really suck while I've been able to install nvidia drivers in many different linux computer with no problems (even in SMP systems).

btw: where did you heard about the drivers to be released soon?
kmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-04, 05:44 PM   #20
macemoneta

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Analog Kid
You'd regret that decision, do you even know how bad ATI Linux drivers are. I've seen a 9800 Pro run slower than a GeForce 5200 Ultra in Linux.
Well, right now, my (old) ATI Rage 128 is running faster than my Nvidia 440 Go. Both are running open source under Fedora Core 2, since ATI's driver doesn't support the Rage 128, and Nvidia's Linux driver isn't out yet.

ATI Rage 128 = 267fps (glxgears)
NV 440 Go = 192fps (glxgears)

Both suck, but the ATI is better. It doesn't matter that the NV card can get 2200fps with the accelerator, since that's not out. When I compare available drivers, ATI wins for speed and features (TV-out doesn't work with the open source NV drivers, while TV/video-in works on the ATI).

See the problem is I need to stay current to support and test for my customers. I can't wait 4 months for Nvidia; by then my customers will have upgraded, and I'll be on to the next release. I have to deal with both vendors as if only the open source drivers are available, or I just drive myself crazy.

If Nvidia is going to try to develop a kernel level driver while not following the kernel development process, then they will always be a day late and a dollar too expensive. They would do better to provide some resource to the open source driver development in support of their equipment, to make sure that their product is more competitive while they work on a "gaming" driver.
macemoneta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-04, 06:21 PM   #21
kmare

Send a message via ICQ to kmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by macemoneta
Well, right now, my (old) ATI Rage 128 is running faster than my Nvidia 440 Go. Both are running open source under Fedora Core 2, since ATI's driver doesn't support the Rage 128, and Nvidia's Linux driver isn't out yet.

ATI Rage 128 = 267fps (glxgears)
NV 440 Go = 192fps (glxgears)

Both suck, but the ATI is better. It doesn't matter that the NV card can get 2200fps with the accelerator, since that's not out. When I compare available drivers, ATI wins for speed and features (TV-out doesn't work with the open source NV drivers, while TV/video-in works on the ATI).

See the problem is I need to stay current to support and test for my customers. I can't wait 4 months for Nvidia; by then my customers will have upgraded, and I'll be on to the next release. I have to deal with both vendors as if only the open source drivers are available, or I just drive myself crazy.

If Nvidia is going to try to develop a kernel level driver while not following the kernel development process, then they will always be a day late and a dollar too expensive. They would do better to provide some resource to the open source driver development in support of their equipment, to make sure that their product is more competitive while they work on a "gaming" driver.
Hi,
I agree with you about ati rage128. It was really a great card and it worked really well under linux. Actually the installation process for having everything to work (tv-out, tv-tuner, 3D-accelleration, etc) was a bit frustrating, but it actually really worked without lockups or slowdowns. But since the radeon R200 where shaders are needed you can only have the closed source driver by ati that really sucks. Really I tried... with most of the via mobo chipsets it didn't work at all. At work we installed the nvidia drivers in a lot of computers with nvidia cards and everything worked very well. Many friends of mine followed my suggestions about buying an nvidia card and right now they are really happy with it. Not to mention the GL extentions supported. With ati you get much less extentions even if the card supports more.

BTW: comparing the two graphic cards with glxgears where the nvidia one is without 3D acceleration is kinda unfair. Plus you won't have open source drivers for graphic cards starting from R300 till the latest R420. And nvidia will release a new generation of drivers with support for PS3 and VS3, that's why it takes that much... just wait some more days.
BTW2: every kernel till 2.6.5 works great with the current stable 5336, and with 2.6.6+ you just have to turn off the 4k stack option. That's all.

Best regards
kmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-04, 06:29 PM   #22
cabrilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuLinUX
To be fair I have run the following games without any probelms,

UT2004
Quake3
Tribes2
NeverWinter Nights
Serious Sam2 (beta installer)
Various Linux 3d/2d games

They are compareble to Windows speeds easy and never had a lockup so as far as I'm conserned the 5336 is solid. A good 20-40% Plus in fps would be nice and really should come, they can do it in Windows constistant why not Linux.
That's true. The only game that I play is Enemy Territory, and lockups are frequent, but not frequent enough for me not to play that game. Performance is all right (I don't have a best card either, and I can't compare it to windows, since I never had it installed on my machine). However, UT2004 runs and works all right, but I can only start it once! After that, there is no way to start any 3d application whatsoever (it just freezes).

Don't get me wrong, nvidia's drivers are all right, but they are not _good_ and there is not nearly enough work put in it. Yup, they compare to ATI, but ATI sucks big time, which is no excuse for nvidia to treat us as marginal users. They can, because we have no other option. And you know how Linux users get when there are o options
cabrilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-04, 07:00 PM   #23
elektronisch

Shh don't tell him not to goto ATI. Let him waste him money and cry on the rage3d forums! Please.. go buy an ATI card and indulge in their fantastic highly developed drivers.
elektronisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-04, 08:59 PM   #24
energyman76b

Hi,

well, from my experience, the Rage128 sucked.
I had frequent lockups with bttv, that totally disappeared when I replaced the Ati whith a Gf 2 Mx 400.

And watching tv or reading videotext was not the only reason to lockup the box. Sometimes xmms&opengl-plugins were enough. No thanks, I do not want to see that again (and there are tests from autmn last year that shows that the tv bugs are still there). Oh, and it was possible to get some acceleration and some decent video-performance, but hey, the gatos-drivers wanted this, the xfree-drivers that and welcome in hell. I never had such trouble with nvidia...
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote