Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-25-04, 11:22 AM   #37
mikechai
Aegophile

Default Re: New drivers out on august/september

Actually August timeframe is not too bad, better late *good* driver than early *bad* driver ...
Old 06-25-04, 11:35 AM   #38
gilboa
Linux addict...

Now regparm support.... Oh well, I shouldn't be greedy... a new driver... better driver is a welcomed news.

Cheers,
Gilboa
gilboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-04, 11:48 AM   #39
scotty_boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyFoxx
Scotty_Boy : Any chance if you can confirm whether or not
Interlaced modes are supported in the beta? I've been watching promises
of "next version" support for a while and REALLY am hoping that this latest driver will Support Overscan, Interlaced output AND vsync.
I cannot confirm if it is supported within this particular driver but, I would suspect it has to be in the subsequent drives because of the new FX4000SDI and FX4400SDI which are designed to spit out SDI NTSC and HD scan rates for the broadcast industry.
scotty_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-04, 02:29 PM   #40
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuLinUX
Hmm, I wounder if nvidia can make it a year without a driver release for us Linux users, it's a good job the driver is spot on for me.
atleast it hasn't been 4 years like ATi...

heh, regarding the comment about getting ati instead of nvidia, you will never be more sorry about a decision in your life, trust me.

the nvidia drivers may not be perfect right now, but atleast they aren't as crapy as ati's. with an ati card, games look like ass -- and it's not just something you can notice if you squint your eyes and turn your head to the left a bit... you can notice this from probably over 50ft away, here's some proof of concept (see attached image, note that i did change the brightness, but only because the in-game brightness is not kept with screen shots).

note that it isn't just one game, or one area, or one level... it's every single opengl application.

here's my glxgears... and the previous statement is correct, there are systems with fx5200's that get around 4,500-5,000 glxgears, heh.

20387 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4077.400 FPS
20412 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4082.400 FPS
20435 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4087.000 FPS
20458 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4091.600 FPS

so, there's my proof that you should never ever ever do what i did and get ati. as a small comment, also, i am unable to use the video capture part of my card, nor am i able to use anything that the aiw can do and the regular 9800pro can't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shot00003.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	6573  
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-04, 04:15 PM   #41
flewellyn

Interesting. So the 4k stacks will be usable. Do you know if reg_param will be useable as well?

Also, what about the incorrect error handling code that calls pci_find_subsys from within an interrupt context? That's very deprecated, according to the kernel coders, so I am hoping that the nVidia folks fixed that for the new driver. Do you know if this is so?
flewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-04, 05:15 PM   #42
andyrock

This is the best thread in months!!

--
1. Toshiba M30-742 | Centrino/Pentium-M 1700mhz | Geforce FX 5200Go
2. Celeron (Tualatin) 1400mhz | Geforce Ti 4800SE
andyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-04, 05:38 PM   #43
thomas21

Ok, aug/sep is great, but it would be nice if "someone" from the
--- nVidia ---
club could confirm this !

Hmm, so this also means I'll wait to august or september.
before I buy one of those brand new superb 6800 Cards..
thomas21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-04, 07:27 PM   #44
CrLf
Linux Power!

I wasn't serious about going ATi. But this highlights the current situation, ATi drivers suck, so Nvidia feels no pressure to release good drivers, theirs just have to suck less. This is why we are seeing ever increasing release cycles with the linux drivers and not with their Windows counterparts.

Old 06-25-04, 08:31 PM   #45
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

heh, i agree with that somewhat -- but after using an ati card, i really wouldn't mind if i had an nvidia card waiting for a while.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-04, 01:27 AM   #46
elektronisch

great news, thanks.
elektronisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-04, 11:34 AM   #47
CrLf
Linux Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamel
heh, i agree with that somewhat -- but after using an ati card, i really wouldn't mind if i had an nvidia card waiting for a while.
But the fact that ATi is worse doesn't mean we just have to live happily with the current level of support from Nvidia, we are customers, we paid for their cards. They try to please the enthusiast market on Windows because they are those that recommend nvidia to their non-enthusiast friends. Well, news flash, us linux users are mostly enthusiats, and we recommend hardware to our (windows) friends based also on our experience with said hardware, which includes linux. And more, some of us work in companies/universities/institutions which use mostly windows, and have a say when it comes to buying new hardware. If some hardware works great in Linux, I recommend buying that, even if we are buying a truck load of them to work exclusively in Windows.

I'm not bashing the people working on the linux drivers, which I believe do their best. But upper management should start considering the real potential that happy nvidia linux users have on spreading the word.
Old 06-28-04, 09:54 AM   #48
jsmerritt

Many thanks for the information on RC1

It is my understanding (from the 5336 release notes) the power saving functions (standby, suspend, etc) are not available on LCD flat panel displays. Can you (or anyone else) provide information on whether the next release will include further support for these functions ?

Thanks, Scott.
jsmerritt is offline   Reply With Quote