Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-23-04, 09:24 AM   #1
leroux

Default NVidia Driver Installation on Debian 3.0r2 with Kernel 2.2.20

Hi Everyone

I see that quite a few threads regarding the setup of NVidia have been started. I have read through all of them and are now completely frustrated. I have done a fresh install of Debian Woody 3.0 r2 on my Pentium4 2000mhz system. I have an onboard Geforce2 video card. After a successfull installation of Debian I choose Gnome as for a desktop environment. Startx gives me an error saying "No Screens found". I assume this is because the correct NVidia drivers have not yet been loaded?
After downloading the latest NVidia installer and driver I run the .run file and then get an error saying that my kernel source tree cannot be found. I seem to be able to solve this by doing an apt-get install kernel-souce-2.2.20 and untar the contents to /usr/src. I then do a ln -s kernel-source-2.2.20 linux and run the NVidia installer again. This time I get the GCC compiler error and choose to ignore it. After this I get the "Unable to determine NVidia Driver Module Filename" error. This is basically where I am stuck...
If have tied numerous things, everythig short of upgrading the kernel which I would not like to do due to my level of experience (which is not very high).

Can anybody assist me in this process and step me through the stages...I can easily start with a fresh install again as I have nothing to loose on the drive.
leroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-04, 07:08 PM   #2
tamran

Default Re: NVidia Driver Installation on Debian 3.0r2 with Kernel 2.2.20

Hello Leroux,

Is there any reason why you aren't using a 2.4.X kernel? If you don't mind trying that out, you might have better luck with that. 2.2.X kernels are a little old. I'm using nvidia drivers with a 2.6.5 kernel.

I realize you are reluctant to switch over. However, you might be able to find some help on IRC somewhere. I find freenode is quite good for linux help and there should be someone to help coach you through upgrading your kernel. Once you go through it a few times, you'll see that it's actually quite painless.

Good luck!

Tamran
tamran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-04, 01:28 AM   #3
leroux

Thanks, I think I'll give it a try. I suppose I have to learn some time. Just thought I could postpone it for a bit. I see there is quite a few websites taking you through all the steps, will give that a try first.

Thanx for you advice...will let you know what the outcome is!
Old 06-24-04, 02:40 AM   #4
TypeO-

You don't need the latest drivers to get X running, read the documentation on configuring your X server. I recently installed Xfree 4.4 and it is the best yet - it automatically configured itself, recognizing my geforce and monitor without needing to even touch a configuration file.
Try getting X to run first, then worry about the latest drivers or you will end up complicating the issue and find it hard to track down where any problems are.
TypeO- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-04, 03:10 AM   #5
leroux

Thanx for the advice, I will try it as soon as I can get the kernel upgraded. I'm struggling with it a bit. Can I upgrade from kernel 2.2.20 directly to 2.6.7?

I've tried doing that following three different sets of instructions...all mostly the same. But it keeps giving me an error when I do the make modules_install. It exits with error 1 and says something about unresolved symbols, on quite a few .ko sections.I've tried removing some of the changes on the kernel configuration, but to no effect. It doesn't give any errors on any of the steps before the make modules_install.

Any advice....I'm going to try kernel 2.4.6 now.