Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-20-02, 11:32 AM   #1
boran_blok

Default compiling the drivers in redhat 8.0 ???

appearently a lot of ppls (including me) are having this problem :

$ rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.src.rpm

Installing NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.src.rpm
warning: user buildmeister does not exist - using root
warning: group buildmeister does not exist - using root
warning: user buildmeister does not exist - using root
warning: group buildmeister does not exist - using root
Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.61484

[...]

+ INSTALLPATH=/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/video
+ mkdir -p /var/tmp/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0//lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/video
+ install -m 0444 NVdriver /var/tmp/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0//lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/video
install: cannot stat `NVdriver': No such file or directory
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.10141 (%install)

RPM build errors:
user buildmeister does not exist - using root
group buildmeister does not exist - using root
user buildmeister does not exist - using root
group buildmeister does not exist - using root
Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.10141 (%install)

now dont come and say wrong packages etc, I have tried everything, from a standard preselected install to a full install, to having redhat NOT updating the kernel, to having redhat updating everything including the kernel and running both as user and as root.

I also checked if the kernel was compiled with the same cc as the current one and all other packages and versions R the same as everyone in the main redhat thread suggested ...

it seems that it is impossoble for me to compile the kernel, the GLX compiles just fine, the kernel doesnt. also, if anyone has a kernel for the latest redhat kernel, pls lemme know how u made it, or if u want to mail it to me...

thanks in advance....
boran_blok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-02, 11:40 AM   #2
bwkaz

It'd be hard to say "wrong packages" or something, seeing as I don't even know what the problem is, yet.

The "user buildmeister does not exist" and etc. messages are only warnings. They don't affect the build.

The real error is the "install: cannot stat `NVdriver': No such file or directory" message. However, I can't say what's wrong, because although I can see that there is no NVdriver file, I have no way of knowing why not. There must have been errors higher up that prevented it from building -- whether or not they were actually printed is another story, but they had to have happened.

Anyway, instead of rpmbuild --rebuilding the .src.rpm files, try to just rpm -ivh them. This should create a new directory somewhere under /usr/src that contains the same thing as what's in the .tar.gz version of the files. Go into wherever that directory is and try running make (as a user whould be better than running make as root, otherwise the driver will try to install itself as well, which is what you don't want yet). This one will print all the errors it encounters; post them here. If the output is too long, then do a make clean and make >log.txt 2>&1 (which will catch all normal output as well as all errors/warnings in a file named log.txt) and post the log.txt file (as an attachment should work just fine).
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-02, 02:47 PM   #3
boran_blok

as requested here is the logfile, its pretty long,and I havent read it yet, I'll read it trough whenever I got some more time for it, but now I'm just off to bed and tomorrow it's school :S

thanks...
Attached Files
File Type: txt log.txt (38.3 KB, 130 views)
Old 10-20-02, 06:15 PM   #4
bwkaz

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.

Install the version of kernel-source that matches your running kernel. If it's installed already, then make sure of a couple of things:

1) That /lib/modules/<kernel version>/build is pointing to the root of the kernel source. ls -l it to find out.

2) The kernel sources are configured. See the Building NVIDIA_kernel for RedHat 8 thread for a few details on how to get that to happen.

Umm, I think that's about it. Good luck!
Old 10-21-02, 12:16 PM   #5
ADoxtater

Thumbs up It works fine

Those errors aren't really errors. If you check in your source directories, you will find the freshly built RPMs. When you install them, it will give you a warning about tainting the kernel... another ignorable warning. After they are installed, they work peachy.
Old 10-21-02, 01:54 PM   #6
boran_blok

Default Re: It works fine

Quote:
Originally posted by ADoxtater
Those errors aren't really errors. If you check in your source directories, you will find the freshly built RPMs. When you install them, it will give you a warning about tainting the kernel... another ignorable warning. After they are installed, they work peachy.
nope no compiler RPM's for the kernel, the gLX compiles just fine and dandy, but the kernel doesnt compile ...
Old 10-21-02, 03:43 PM   #7
ADoxtater

Default You want one of mine?

I can compile one for you if you want... I'm on an athlon system, though.
Old 10-21-02, 07:35 PM   #8
bwkaz

Quote:
Originally posted by bwkaz
Install the version of kernel-source that matches your running kernel. If it's installed already, then make sure of a couple of things:

1) That /lib/modules/<kernel version>/build is pointing to the root of the kernel source. ls -l it to find out.

2) The kernel sources are configured. See the Building NVIDIA_kernel for RedHat 8 thread for a few details on how to get that to happen.
I hate to quote myself here, but it seems I was ignored... not a big deal if it didn't work (my ego couldn't possibly care less ), but did you try it?

And the first few messages are indeed warnings, but did you notice the multiple "parse error"s just after those? And the "dereferencing pointer to incomplete type" errors? And whatever else?

Old 10-22-02, 11:45 AM   #9
boran_blok

Default problem solved

you where right mr genius :P

thanks to my bootdisk I was still booting the old kernel and that one didnt find its sources (where removed when updating the kernel)

I couldnt figure out how to have the bootdisk boot the new ones (prolly some vmlinuz etc stuff)

and I just reinstalled and kept the kernel "old" then the display drivers installed just like a breeze ...

thanks anyway I'm sure I have learned something from u
Old 10-22-02, 11:59 AM   #10
bwkaz

As long as you got it working, it's all good.