Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-20-02, 03:05 PM   #1
forever

Question Xinerama and quake3 on Nvidia4

I have RH8 and nvidia twin view option enabled.. however I have two different monitors...
One of them is old smaller, analog... the second one standard digital monitor....
I can see the correct image/desktop on both of them.

One thing which I don't understand is if I can to launch Quake3/2/1 or any other GL application in one specified monitor and still have a possiblity to see the xwindows on the second one???
Old 10-21-02, 10:20 AM   #2
forever

Nobody?!
Old 10-21-02, 11:05 AM   #3
Kashmeer

Sorry that I can't be much help you with your problem...
I think that you can launch a second X with a switch that points to the second display. I haveonly seen it on a post once and do not know the syntax...

I only have the Windows CD of Q III, do you know were I could find a how to get it to install and play under Linux?

Thanx
Kashmeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-02, 11:13 AM   #4
forever

Quote:
Originally posted by Kashmeer
[...]I only have the Windows CD of Q III, do you know were I could find a how to get it to install and play under Linux?
Quake 3 - just download latest Point Release from ID software page [linux version] (http://www.idsoftware.com) and install it - than - just copy the packs from Your Windows quake3 CD to the apropriate directory on linux HDrive... then It is working just fine

Quake2/1 - visit http://quakeforge.net/ there is opensource engine of these versions of quake - it is enough also to copy the packs from original CDs to the right dir.

I have on my PC all three versions of quake working with nvidia card (full openGL support using GLX extension)

Last edited by forever; 10-21-02 at 11:19 AM.
forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-02, 01:33 PM   #5
bwkaz

If you want, you can also get a version of Quake 2 that's actually still being developed ( ) at www.icculus.org/quake2.

About starting up another display, you would have to set up two Screen sections, one with "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT" and one with "ConnectedMonitor" "TV" or whatever it is. Then create a pair of ServerLayouts, one referencing the CRT Screen section, and one referencing the TV Screen section.

THEN... when you startx, it'll use the default ServerLayout (which I would think you'd want to point at the CRT Screen section). But if you do a startx -- :1 -layout <insert the layout's Identifier here, probably in quotes> instead, then you'll get another X server (and to talk to it, you should set your DISPLAY environment variable to :1.0 instead of :0.0 -- if stuff pops up on the wrong display, then look into this) on your TV screen.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-02, 03:02 PM   #6
forever

Quote:
Originally posted by bwkaz
If you want, you can also get a version of Quake 2 that's actually still being developed ( ) at www.icculus.org/quake2.
[...]
THEN... when you startx, it'll use the default ServerLayout (which I would think you'd want to point at the CRT Screen section). But if you do a startx -- :1 -layout <insert the layout's Identifier here, probably in quotes> instead, then you'll get another X server (and to talk to it, you should set your DISPLAY environment variable to :1.0 instead of :0.0 -- if stuff pops up on the wrong display, then look into this) on your TV screen.
ad1. Yes well the other one is also still in development!!!
ad2. Not really the solution for me... - what I want is exactelly what I was able to reproduce with quake2 from quakeforge.net. When I lauch it then it uses only first monitor but do not clear or use the second monitor which still displays the previous content ( i.e. xawtv the tv app...)
When I lauch quake3 - it uses only first monitor but the second one is cleared and what I can see on it is fragments of prevoius lauched apps in overlay (I think) mode from some buffer I guess. (kind of complete mess...)
Is there any settings which will assure me the same effect for every openGL application?
Old 10-21-02, 08:31 PM   #7
bwkaz

Is it? OK then, never mind. I was pretty surprised to find the icculus.org version under development, so I figured there weren't any others. Oh well...

As for the monitor stuff, I don't really know of any way to do that. The problem is the program itself, Quake 3. It seems it doesn't work quite right with Xinerama, or something? Or (seeing as I don't really know how Xinerama works), it might be just selecting the mode you don't want from the list that the Xinerama extension gives it.

Can you edit one of the Q3 config files to tell it to use a specific resolution?
Old 10-22-02, 03:08 AM   #8
forever

Quote:
Originally posted by bwkaz
[...]
As for the monitor stuff, I don't really know of any way to do that. The problem is the program itself, Quake 3. It seems it doesn't work quite right with Xinerama, or something? Or (seeing as I don't really know how Xinerama works), it might be just selecting the mode you don't want from the list that the Xinerama extension gives it.

Can you edit one of the Q3 config files to tell it to use a specific resolution?
Well that's true - It can be the program itself cause the sam problem exists with quake1 - quakeforge version... I did not ask on the disscussion mailing list yet but Problably I should start there...
The famous Quake 2 is working really fantastic with xinerama showing (as I said) in the first monitor the openGL application and leaving the second monitor unchanged...
As for the q3config stuff - it doesn't matter - means - any resolution I put - it always use the both monitor as one space to initialise GL game - but starts showing something else than the thrash from buffer on the left part of this space...

Last edited by forever; 10-22-02 at 03:11 AM.
forever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-02, 09:27 AM   #9
bwkaz

Hmm... that does seem odd.

Sorry, I don't really know what to do.