Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-27-04, 09:55 PM   #1
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte

Default good graphics card for linux

alright, i'm new to the whole nvidia/linux scene, for i have been running ati/linux for about a year and i am completely p*ssed about the whole situation, ati may make decent cards, but every driver i've ever used in linux/windows always has managed to fsck up something else and i am tired of it, currently i am running a 9800pro, but it linux it may as well be a 9500se, i saw posts of rumored upcoming linux driver updates, and i would imagine those would include nv40 graphics cards? or am i wrong? i am a linux gamer, i play pretty much only id/ut2k games anyways, and they all have native linux ports regardless, but what i was getting around to is i heard the 5950 is lacking in windows and nv40 hardware has yet to be recognized in linux, so what would be the top card you would recommend to a duelbooter such as myself, or would it be worth it to just suck it up and wait for new linux drivers for nv40 recognition?

i confused the hell out of myself in there, so feel free to ask questions
Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-04, 10:10 PM   #2
blueworm
[DEADAGAIN]blueworm

Default Re: good graphics card for linux

Yup you confused me 2. Anyhow until the Geforce 6 series drivers are available for linux the best possible card you can use is the FX5950. (which is somewhat lacking in windows???)
If so you might as well wait...
Registered linux user #271604 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org/
lianLi PC60, OCZ powerStream 520W PSU, Asus P5N-E SLI, Core 2 duo E6550, 2Gb GEIL, XFX 8800GT, TB SantaCruz
blueworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-04, 10:37 PM   #3
LaNcom

Default Re: good graphics card for linux

The 5959 is not really lacking in Windows, but in Direct3D. If it comes to OpenGL, it's probably your best choice right now - 'till the NV40 becomes available.

But I expect the 61xx Linux drivers to become available more or less at the same time the NV40 will hit the shelves, so you should opt for a 6800 (the 61xx drivers support NV40).
IIRC, the current _official_ Nvidia drivers for Windows don't support NV40, too...

-- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.
LaNcom is offline   Reply With Quote