Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-29-04, 05:25 PM   #1
AthlonXP1800

Default Intel to dump world largest mobo maker ASUS?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboa...629030218.html

Intel to dump world largest mobo maker ASUS? Is it all about pricing? I dont think so, now mobo prices are cheaper than 2 years ago, I bought ASUS mobo for £110 back in 2002 and today prices are around £80. Look like ASUS will be produce AMD mobo only after all. Funny I never heard of Wistron mobo before.

I think Intel's partner ATI probably will dump ASUS soon.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-04, 02:09 AM   #2
CainSyris
This is MY boomstick!

Default Re: Intel to dump world largest mobo maker ASUS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboa...629030218.html

Intel to dump world largest mobo maker ASUS? Is it all about pricing? I dont think so, now mobo prices are cheaper than 2 years ago, I bought ASUS mobo for £110 back in 2002 and today prices are around £80. Look like ASUS will be produce AMD mobo only after all. Funny I never heard of Wistron mobo before.

I think Intel's partner ATI probably will dump ASUS soon.

I think you misunderstand. This isn't saying Asus is not going to make any more Intel-chipset-based boards. This is saying that Asus will not be OEM outsourcing motherboards for Intel any more. In other words, Asus built motherboards for Intel and then Intel put their name on them and sold them as Intel-built motherboards.

Get it? Intel-built motherboards are supposed to be the epitomy of stability without any overclocking at all. They have to be made by somebody and even though Intel does make chipsets, they don't actually build motherboards so they outsource to others to do that for them. It was big news when Asus took up the burden in years past because Asus is one of those BIG companies that produces some of the most stable (or so many claim) motherboards ever. So them building Intel motherboards ensured that stability Intel is suppsoed to known for continued.

What this is saying is that Asus wants to charge Intel more than Intel is willing to pay to keep making motherboards for them, so Intel said they could get a better deal elsewhere and they cut their deal. Asus will continue to make its own (and ASRock) motherboards and OEM to a lot of hardware vendors (Dell, Alienware, etc) based on Intel chipsets.

Just no Asus motherboards will be sold as Intel ones after this breakup.
CainSyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-04, 09:20 AM   #3
zer0xp
TeH PwNz0r

Send a message via AIM to zer0xp Send a message via MSN to zer0xp

Thanks for clearing that up Cainsyris. I got scared for a little, after having such a great experience with my P4C800-E Dlx and my P4P800...
zer0xp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-04, 09:05 PM   #4
AthlonXP1800

Ah I understand now, thank for clearing up Cainsyris. I thought it included Intel chipsets, now ASUS lost Intel as OEM customer, I think Intel was the biggest customer with 17 to 18 millions OEM motherboards from ASUS. Without Intel, ASUS will lose around $340m to $360m in revenues and it remain to be seen whether ASUS will still No1 and maybe ASUS will find other partners with the best deals to fill orders to close the big hole.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote