Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-04-04, 11:30 AM   #109
sleepylight

Default Re: 1.0-6106 for X86-32 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
@sleepylight: did you clean the source tree after building the kernel (i.e. is include/linux/version.h missing)? The source tree needs to remain intact after the kernel build, KBUILD won't generate dependencies for external module builds with Linux 2.6.6 and later kernels.

I built the 2.6.7 kernel with the output files redirected to another source. (ie, make O=/tmp/build/kernel). This put version.h and friends in my tmp directory, not inside the kernel source.

I copied /tmp/build/kernel/include/config, /tmp/build/kernel/include/asm-i386, /tmp/build/kernel/include/linux, /tmp/build/kernel/basic and /tmp/build/kernel/scripts/modpost back into my kernel's srouce tree and I was able to build a module. (I also made the asm link in the tree)

However, even though the kernel built the module is not loadable. Is there either a list of required files for correct compelation that I could see, or is there a set of flags that I can use to tell the Nvidia installers to look in 2 locations for the kernel files?
sleepylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-04, 01:11 PM   #110
erek

Send a message via ICQ to erek Send a message via AIM to erek

alright, i want to request a change:
I have a BFG GeForce 6800 GT OC the PCI (device) ID is 0x0045 and is not recognized by the 6106 drivers:
Code:
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: unknown board/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!
OpenGL version string: 1.5.1 NVIDIA 61.06
also i'd like to know specifically not based on speculation why my core temperatures differ by ~20C in Linux from Win32, my gpu idles at ~53C in win32, but a constant 70+ C in Linux, "ripperda" speculates that because the drivers /statically/ start engines such as "overlay" up front instead of when the engine is needed /dynamically/ (win32) that the heat could be from that, so could you PLEASE take a more win32 approach to this, even though 70+ C is WELL within specifications of operation, i still find it quite WARM for this type of weather in my area which is only going to get a lot warmer...
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-04, 02:39 PM   #111
elektronisch

It probubly has to do with the linux drivers not switching on the fan when it's needed, i've been reading a lot about these high temps. You could always void your warrenty and wire the fan to the power supply ;c
elektronisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-04, 02:57 PM   #112
erek

Send a message via ICQ to erek Send a message via AIM to erek

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektronisch
It probubly has to do with the linux drivers not switching on the fan when it's needed, i've been reading a lot about these high temps. You could always void your warrenty and wire the fan to the power supply ;c
i'm just going to continue the quest for proper support of my hardware...
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-04, 05:27 PM   #113
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@sleepylight: you can extract the .run file and build the module manually in the usr/src/nv subdirectory (of the newly created NVIDIA-Linux... directory), passing it the same arguments (make O=...) you passed to KBUILD when building the kernel. The installer currently has no way of determining this itself (future kernels may change that).
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-04, 09:22 PM   #114
sleepylight

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
@sleepylight: you can extract the .run file and build the module manually in the usr/src/nv subdirectory (of the newly created NVIDIA-Linux... directory), passing it the same arguments (make O=...) you passed to KBUILD when building the kernel. The installer currently has no way of determining this itself (future kernels may change that).

Ok. I took your advise here and decided to start over. I cleaned my kernel tree by running make mrproper, then unpacked the archive. I ran the makefile and quickly discovered I had returned to problems with the kernel version. I copied over version.h and everything was ok again. So now, w/o moving any other files I almost have a working module.

When I run "make O=/tmp/build/kernel install" in /tmp/..../usr/src/nv I get a file to build and almost load but for one error message:

nvidia: version magic '2.6.7 PENTIUM4 REGPARM 4KSTACKS gcc-3.3' shoul be '2.6.7 PENTIUM4 REGPARM gcc-3.3'
fatal: error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.7/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko): invalid module format.

I guess it doesn't like that 4k stack parameter. I don't know why though, that's how I compiled the kernel.
sleepylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-04, 12:18 AM   #115
jwy

Wink Re: 1.0-6106 for X86-32 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehh
Here is a description of my system:
Fedora Core 2 (latest kernel)
GNOME 2.6 window manager
Asus A7V600 motherboard (VIA KT600 chipset, agp 8x)
AthlonXP 2100+
NVIDIA GeForceFX 5600 (Asus VideoSuite, agp 8x)
sehh,
I have the same motherboard chipset. According the README.txt, it is not yet supported. As advised by the README.txt, I'm using Option "NvAGP" "0" and things are working. Hope this helps.
--jwy
jwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-04, 12:26 AM   #116
jwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_clow
I got the same prob as Arthur and MHeitmann62 with the 2.6.6-435.2.3 kernel. The drivers do work however on the 2.6.5-1.358 kernel.?? A quick solution would be great.
I am running NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4800 SE, Asus A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon XP 2800+
My advise is for you to find out which AGP chip set your motherboard uses. If it is not listed in the README.txt, you will likely have the most sucess adding/modifying the following:
Option "NvAGP" "0"

Good Luck.
jwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-04, 03:46 AM   #117
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@sleepylight: the version magic is picked up from the kernel build; you shouldn't have to manually copy files around at any point during the installation.
Old 07-05-04, 03:48 AM   #118
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@sleepylight: BTW, the .run installation should succeed if/when you set MAKEFLAGS accordingly (i.e. O=....) in the environment.
Old 07-05-04, 06:20 AM   #119
alessio facen

Hi there,
6106 fixes the freezing problem with Athlon 64 and 32-bit mode Linux. However, I experience the annoying random flicker described in another thread of the forum. It happens only when using 2D applications (i.e. KDE), not in 3D. While playing movies, after the flicker every video player can't produce output (only a black - or black and a blue square) until I switch to a text-mode console (CTRL-ALT_F2) and I turn back to X; then it runs correctly ('til the next flicker, of course).
Logs don't seem to explain this, the only suspect thing is that there are 2-3 lines reporting the nForce AGPGart compliant lines (I have a 5700Go FX on a nForce3 chipset, it's a 1511LMi Acer laptop).
Should I try to recompile the kernel (2.6.6, Debian sarge) without enabling AGPGART and using nVidia AGP, or is it a known bug?
alessio facen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-04, 06:45 AM   #120
rufnut

Cool Re: 1.0-6106 for X86-32 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaur
I have also got the same problem with 6106 for X86 nvidia driver for GeForec 440 MX on Fedora Core 2 with latest official kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3.
We want this fixed from nvidia.Nvidia open your source code please.....
I am not that fussed about the source code but also have the same problems above 800 x 600

The Nvidia-settings GUI looks very nice though

anyone tried the smaller pkg0 drivers for 6106 ?
rufnut is offline   Reply With Quote