Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-02-04, 08:35 AM   #73
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: 1.0-6106 for X86-32 thread

Please submit a bug report to linux-bugs@nvidia.com, including the nvidia-bug-report.sh log file; note that the atkbd.c warning message really is a problem with XFree86 itself, fixed in CVS.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 09:40 AM   #74
erek

Send a message via ICQ to erek Send a message via AIM to erek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauschovar
Thanks nVidia! I've been waiting for this day for a long time. The performance on my 6800 Ultra is phenominal. UT2004 is playable at max details at 1600x1200 -- not even a hiccup. I think I need to put in a new sound card though. The built-in card seems to be holding me back in games like America's Army. (Edit: actually, after playing online the performance isn't bad at all. Maybe even faster than on Windows. It just seemed a bit weak at the shooting range.)

I did notice one problem though. Sometimes the text in CGA mode is messed up. After messing with my xorg.conf, my prompt was dim and after starting kdm, all colored text would not be drawn period. Or it may have been all text with the intensity bit turned on. Anyways, it only happens in true CGA mode as far as I can tell (not konsole, xterm, etc), so it's hardly a problem. And I haven't noticed it since then either. It only occured while installing/configuring the driver.

Oh yeah, and nvidia-settings reports my core is at 71 degrees Celsius. At what temperature should I begin to worry?

blackbard: If you haven't got your's working yet, try 'emerge unmerge nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx' and then download and run the driver from nVidia's site: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d..._1.0-6106.html. I got the same error messages and that's what fixed it for me.
to further back up zander's response, i have a "BFG GeForce 6800 GT OC":
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 10:24 AM   #75
kraftcheck

Any chance support for interlaced output has been added/fixed?
kraftcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 10:33 AM   #76
Prommy
King of the hill

Send a message via ICQ to Prommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoot
I got the same problem, WE WANT 1024X768 TVOUT!
Just one tiny question: Do you really see any difference on your tv? I am quite sure that you don't. I also ran my tv at 1024x768 up til some time ago when someone in this forum informed me of the low resolution of tv's. I switched to 640x480 and there was absolutely no difference when watching movies. It's just a waste of gfx memory to use 1024x768 on a tv!

/Daniel
Prommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 10:44 AM   #77
m_clow

Question Re: 1.0-6106 for X86-32 thread

I am having problems getting the 1.0-6106 drivers working in my machine. I am using Fedora Core 2 and had no prob with the 2.6.5.x kernel that came with the distro. I am not able to get the driver running on the 2.6.6-1.435 or the 2.6.6-1.435.2.1 kernels. It tells me that the driver cant find the right kernel module and will build one for me. I choose yes, it does this and comes back saying installed but conflicst with rivafb module driver. I than tried re complilling the kernel in exact same configuration but leaving out the rivafb module. installer still has to make a nvidia kernel module, but did not get the error about conflicting drivers. I thought this wold do it...reboot and just boots to a blank screen. awwwwww..... any suggestions??
m_clow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 12:06 PM   #78
AndyI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prommy
Just one tiny question: Do you really see any difference on your tv? I am quite sure that you don't. I also ran my tv at 1024x768 up til some time ago when someone in this forum informed me of the low resolution of tv's. I switched to 640x480 and there was absolutely no difference when watching movies. It's just a waste of gfx memory to use 1024x768 on a tv!

/Daniel
I absolutely, without any doubt, can tell you it makes a BIG difference. Maybe not to the odd divx, but I'm running MythTV. I'm using that for hi res movies, looking at photos (from 5+ megapixel cameras), playing games, surfing the web, etc etc. Makes a HUGE difference and it's the whole reason I sought out the graphics card in the first place. I'm really dissapointed
AndyI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 12:09 PM   #79
catimimi

@erek

Fine, but where did you find NVClock 0.8 ?

I've only 0.7 which doesn't work with my GeForce FX5900.

Thanks.

Michel
catimimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 12:12 PM   #80
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

that *must* be the placebo effect -- a tv's scanlines are only 320x240, but they update in odd intervals, making the effect of 640x480 -- so technically it's not even 640x480; that is... unless you have hdtv, which is right at 1024x768... even then, with most HDTV compliant tv's the difference isn't that great; many projection tv's will be "hdtv compatable", which basically means it will play hdtv formatted stuff, but at crappy quality -- equivalent to watching a dvd in vhs quality, it's just kinda pointless.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-04, 12:15 PM   #81
AndyI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamel
that *must* be the placebo effect -- a tv's scanlines are only 320x240, but they update in odd intervals, making the effect of 640x480 -- so technically it's not even 640x480; that is... unless you have hdtv, which is right at 1024x768... even then, with most HDTV compliant tv's the difference isn't that great; many projection tv's will be "hdtv compatable", which basically means it will play hdtv formatted stuff, but at crappy quality -- equivalent to watching a dvd in vhs quality, it's just kinda pointless.
Full PAL resolution is 720x576. Doesn't quite sit with what you have said above! I'm not saying I understand the technicalities of it, BUT, I can assure you that everything looks "crappier" at 800x600. Even the g/f notices it. The box for my GF4 MX440 says it will do 1024x768, so that is what I expect it to do.
AndyI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 12:19 PM   #82
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

i understand anout your gripes... i guess NTSC and PAL deviate there, didn't know about that... i suppose i wont comment anymore as i haven't seen it myself.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 12:32 PM   #83
cconvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by floam
Neat.
Hey there,

What tool do you run to get that nVidia configurator? I've never seen it when I install my nVidia drivers.

Thanks,
Christian
Old 07-02-04, 12:43 PM   #84
SuLinUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauschovar
Thanks nVidia! I've been waiting for this day for a long time. The performance on my 6800 Ultra is phenominal. UT2004 is playable at max details at 1600x1200 -- not even a hiccup. I think I need to put in a new sound card though. The built-in card seems to be holding me back in games like America's Army. (Edit: actually, after playing online the performance isn't bad at all. Maybe even faster than on Windows. It just seemed a bit weak at the shooting range.)

I did notice one problem though. Sometimes the text in CGA mode is messed up. After messing with my xorg.conf, my prompt was dim and after starting kdm, all colored text would not be drawn period. Or it may have been all text with the intensity bit turned on. Anyways, it only happens in true CGA mode as far as I can tell (not konsole, xterm, etc), so it's hardly a problem. And I haven't noticed it since then either. It only occured while installing/configuring the driver.

Oh yeah, and nvidia-settings reports my core is at 71 degrees Celsius. At what temperature should I begin to worry?

blackbard: If you haven't got your's working yet, try 'emerge unmerge nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx' and then download and run the driver from nVidia's site: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d..._1.0-6106.html. I got the same error messages and that's what fixed it for me.

Nice, very nice and great that it works.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote