Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-11-04, 02:19 PM   #25
maxbero

Default Re: Official NVIDIA Linux Control Panel feedback thread

The panel works fine. Thank you very much.
I'd like to see the temperature readings inside karamba. I'm working on :-)
maxbero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-04, 03:59 PM   #26
piedamaro

Thanks for the icon
piedamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-04, 09:30 PM   #27
buaku

Pretty nice little utility. I'm liking it.

I don't see the temperature section either with my fx5900xt.

Would be nice if there was a faq or something that lists which cards the temperature sensing is supposed to work with, or if there needs to be other programs installed, or if its like manufacterer specific and may or may not be there.
buaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-04, 02:04 AM   #28
kirkengaard
Former IT Slave

Send a message via ICQ to kirkengaard Send a message via AIM to kirkengaard

Under Slackware 10 with kernel 2.4.27-rc3 plus i2c, have had no problems with the settings utility (due in some part to the messages in this thread - thank you all - and also to the ease of use of the utility - thank you Andy and friends)

I'm running a Chaintech FX 5900 XT, and can see the temperature readout in the panel with no problems. What manufacturer for your card, buaku? Have heard different assertions made about this, but from what I understand, not all 5900's have temperature sensors... (Somebody correct me if I'm misinformed)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nvsettingstemp.png
Views:	1289
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	6964  
Abit BE7-RAID - 2.8GHz P4 - 1.5GB PC2700 - Chaintech GeForce FX 5900XT (450/750 stable) - Slackware-current, 2.6.[MOST RECENT]-rcX-[mmX,rtX]. KIDS: DO TRY THIS AT HOME! (just not on production equipment)
kirkengaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-04, 07:11 PM   #29
buaku

kirkengaard, I have an MSI board. I did a little looking around and you appear correct in that not all the boards have the thermel sensor chip. I read two reviews that mentioned that the MSI board doesn't have a way to monitor the temperature. So it appears that its up to the board maker.

I'm also running Slackware 10, but with the 2.4.26 kernel plus a self applied I2C patch. Was hoping to get sensors and rivatv working together, but I finally read that the 6106 drivers dont work w/ that. I couldn't get the 5336 ones working consistently either, but thats another story :P At least lm_sensors works though

Thanks for the reply.
buaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-04, 06:16 AM   #30
andyrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by buaku
kirkengaard, I have an MSI board. I did a little looking around and you appear correct in that not all the boards have the thermel sensor chip. I read two reviews that mentioned that the MSI board doesn't have a way to monitor the temperature. So it appears that its up to the board maker.
My sister's MSI FX5600 (1 year old) does have a thermal sensor. It's a windows-only PC, and 'speedfan' reports thermal information for the FX.

--
1. Toshiba M30-742 | Centrino/Pentium-M 1700mhz | Geforce FX 5200Go
2. Celeron (Tualatin) 1400mhz | Geforce Ti 4800SE
andyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-04, 06:34 AM   #31
Revan

Send a message via ICQ to Revan Send a message via AIM to Revan

This is amazing, just add TwinView and you've got yourself one helluva tool

I'm lovin it
Old 07-22-04, 07:23 AM   #32
RiotRick

What I'm missing in the driver is collor correction for each seperate monitor. I use a laptop with a dfp which is way too bright by default. The gamma correction can correct this nicely, but these gamma settings are also applied to the 2nd (crt) monitor which is also connected to my laptop. So by correcting the dfp the crt will get way too dim
RiotRick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-04, 02:46 PM   #33
jullrich

has anybody managed to compile this on AMD64 / Suse 9.1 ?

I am getting this error:

cc .objs/command-line.o .objs/config-file.o .objs/msg.o .objs/nvidia-settings.o .objs/parse.o .objs/query-assign.o .objs/nvgetopt.o .objs/image.o .objs/ctkxvideo.o .objs/ctkcursorshadow.o .objs/ctkui.o .objs/ctkframelock.o .objs/ctkgauge.o .objs/ctkcurve.o .objs/ctkcolorcorrection.o .objs/ctkscale.o .objs/ctkmultisample.o .objs/ctkconfig.o .objs/ctkevent.o .objs/ctkwindow.o .objs/ctkopengl.o .objs/ctkdevice.o .objs/ctkhelp.o .objs/ctkimagesliders.o .objs/ctkdisplaydevice.o .objs/ctkdisplaydevice-crt.o .objs/ctkdisplaydevice-tv.o .objs/ctkdisplaydevice-dfp.o .objs/ctkthermal.o .objs/NvCtrlAttributes.o .objs/NvCtrlAttributesNvControl.o .objs/NvCtrlAttributesVidMode.o .objs/NvCtrlAttributesXv.o .objs/g_stamp.o -Wall -fpedantic -O -I /usr/X11R6/include -I/opt/gnome/include/gtk-2.0 -I/opt/gnome/lib64/gtk-2.0/include -I/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0 -I/opt/gnome/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/freetype2/config -I/opt/gnome/include/glib-2.0 -I/opt/gnome/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I doc -I src -I src/image_data -I src/xpm_data -I src/gtk+-2.x -I src/libXNVCtrl -I src/libXNVCtrlAttributes -Wl,--export-dynamic -L/opt/gnome/lib64 -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lpangoxft-1.0 -lpangox-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0 -L /usr/X11R6/lib -Wl,-Bstatic -lXxf86vm -lXv -Wl,-Bdynamic -lX11 -lXext src/libXNVCtrl/libXNVCtrl.a -o nvidia-settings
/usr/lib64/gcc-lib/x86_64-suse-linux/3.3.3/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/X11R6/lib/libXxf86vm.a when searching for -lXxf86vm
/usr/lib64/gcc-lib/x86_64-suse-linux/3.3.3/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: cannot find -lXxf86vm
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [nvidia-settings] Error 1
Old 07-31-04, 03:53 AM   #34
Baaad Wabbit!

Thumbs up Re: Official NVIDIA Linux Control Panel feedback thread

I was really really really REALLY needing this Control Panel since purchasing an LCD August last year, and now I can run my LCD in DVI mode without the display burning out my retinas. This is utility is just superb. I've had no problems with it at all, so far. Thankyou, nVidia.

Tony.
Baaad Wabbit! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-04, 04:39 AM   #35
Baaad Wabbit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jullrich
has anybody managed to compile this on AMD64 / Suse 9.1 ?

I am getting this error:

/usr/lib64/gcc-lib/x86_64-suse-linux/3.3.3/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/X11R6/lib/libXxf86vm.a when searching for -lXxf86vm
/usr/lib64/gcc-lib/x86_64-suse-linux/3.3.3/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: cannot find -lXxf86vm
For an AMD64 setup, shouldn't the Makefile be configured to search for the 64 bit version of libXxf86vm.a in /usr/X11R6/lib64 rather than /usr/X11R6/lib? That would explain the "skipping incompatible" message.

Tony.
Baaad Wabbit! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-04, 02:14 AM   #36
Soap

I get the same error compiling the Control Panel.

angoxft-1.0 -lpangox-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0 -L /usr/X11R6/lib -Wl,-Bstatic -lXxf86vm -lXv -Wl,-Bdynamic -lX11 -lXext src/libXNVCtrl/libXNVCtrl.a -o nvidia-settings
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXxf86vm

I know the shared library is in the cache so I don't see how linker doesn't find it.
Soap is offline   Reply With Quote