Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-02-04, 04:08 AM   #133
ChrisRay

Default Re: Far Cry Benchmarks - Shader Model 2.0 vs 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffles
I'm going to try to look at this from a fanATIc's POV just to keep this fair, and possibly someone more knowledgable than myself can answer in case a fanATIc does bring this up

From anandtech's review SM3 only seems to benefit special circumstances. It would be interesting to see a line graph showing the FPS before and after SM3.

Has the average FPS increased simply because only a few seconds of the benchmark peaked much higher than without sm3, but the rest of the benchmark stays relatively the same?

ChrisRay - Does the rest of the game "seem" faster?

Hopefully tomorrow some more benchmarks come out that answer these questions. I really would like to see nvidia shove SM3 down ATI's throat to be honest ATI has had bragging rights way too long.
Varies from spot to spot. I'd have to say 75% of the time yes. 50% of the time its very noticable. Sometimes its marginal at best, However Quality has improved in all spots the performance hasnt changed. And thats a step in the right direction.

And no. The average frame rate has increased. Since my results were done in real time with fraps. I can attest to some spot. So its definately an average increase rather than a high.

Chris
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 04:16 AM   #134
Waffles

Excellent
Are there any particular situations where you don't see gains? What types of situations do you see the biggest gains? Just from your personal experience.

Hmmm. And I wonder how much will be improved as drivers improve...

*edit* Lemme rephrase that. What kind of levels are showing the least/most gains? I'm assuming indoors will show quite a bit. I'm assuming water heavy stuff will see the least?
Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 04:20 AM   #135
ChrisRay

Quote:
Excellent
Are there any particular situations where you don't see gains? What types of situations do you see the biggest gains? Just from your personal experience.

Hmmm. And I wonder how much will be improved as drivers improve...

*edit* Lemme rephrase that. What kind of levels are showing the least/most gains? I'm assuming indoors will show quite a bit. I'm assuming water heavy stuff will see the least?

Actually no. In my experience outdoor areas (with the exception of Research) were the biggest gains. And surprisingly the areas with heavy pixel shaders have shown minimal gains. It's the Geometry areas (Like out doors with grass ect) which have shown great gains.

For example. My Far Volcano Bench was done on that Metal Bridge with 4 routes, (which go north, South, East, And west) and it showed the gains you have seen ((This is the area where you run through a cross fire with those damned big arse things with rocket launcers on their arms shooting at you from underneath))

chris
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 04:21 AM   #136
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

even though sm3.0 only helps certain circumstances, these circumstances are the ones in which a card would run slower in. IMO a scene with lots of grass and light sources would kill a sm2.0 card, while sm3.0 would be showing off its power -- whereas if you're looking at a skybox, the most easily rendered object of the game, then who cares if you show substancial framerate increases?

in other words, what i'm trying to say is that i think sm3.0 steps on to the plate when it really counts, as opposed to just increasing performance when in "certain situations".
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 04:26 AM   #137
Jarred
OUTCAST

okay, so, we gotta have dx 9.0c and the farcry 1.2 patch?

when are both of these goign to be released?

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
Albert Einstein
Jarred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 04:29 AM   #138
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooka
Point me in the direction of the nVIDIA Geforce 6800 Ultra Extreme Edition please.
I am with you buddy ! Pont to where i can get one....hmm now to break the piggy bank.
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 04:30 AM   #139
Waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay
Actually no. In my experience outdoor areas (with the exception of Research) were the biggest gains. And surprisingly the areas with heavy pixel shaders have shown minimal gains. It's the Geometry areas (Like out doors with grass ect) which have shown great gains.

For example. My Far Volcano Bench was done on that Metal Bridge with 4 routes, (which go north, South, East, And west) and it showed the gains you have seen ((This is the area where you run through a cross fire with those damned big arse things with rocket launcers on their arms shooting at you from underneath))

chris
So the areas where you would most likely see the FPS dip the most are showing some of the best gains with SM3? This would be the IDEAL situation. Raise the minimum fps as much as possible instead of raising the highest fps.

This is making my decision of getting the 6800u that much easier....

(btw. I feel ashamed...but until I get a new video card I haven't been able to play Far Cry heh. I've just been staring at screen shots of it for the past 6 freakin months....dammit.)
Old 07-02-04, 04:37 AM   #140
Waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamel
even though sm3.0 only helps certain circumstances, these circumstances are the ones in which a card would run slower in. IMO a scene with lots of grass and light sources would kill a sm2.0 card, while sm3.0 would be showing off its power -- whereas if you're looking at a skybox, the most easily rendered object of the game, then who cares if you show substancial framerate increases?

in other words, what i'm trying to say is that i think sm3.0 steps on to the plate when it really counts, as opposed to just increasing performance when in "certain situations".
ChrisRay seems to think that is the case.
And if it is... How can you possibly argue against SM3?

Going to hurt myself trying to get into the mind of a fanATIc

Old 07-02-04, 04:51 AM   #141
MUYA

I am lookign forward to Tiger Woods 2005. That is supposed to have SM 3.0 in it but I would think, that maybe multi-dude batching (geometric instancing) would work to make things smooth than in sm 2.0 when rendering grass blades etc. Right now on my 9700pro, them areas wth loads of grass, kills performance with 4XAA and 8XAF. I am sure (speculation here) that some form of VS 3.0 will alleviate the slow downs. Damn, looking forward to Tiger Woods 2005 SM 3.0 capable game. Heck maybe even Fifa 2005.
Corsair 600T Case
Old 07-02-04, 04:52 AM   #142
fivefeet8
Ngemu Mod

I know it's been stated that VS3 instancing is used on the grass to raise perfomance. Is there other things that are using it as well? Say the trees or bushes? There are some scenes where you see a lot of trees and bushes. Can you guys test these areas of the game to see if there are also performance increases there? If none, then maybe we still haven't seen what Instancing is capable of. Maybe with more time, Crytek could make all the vegetation in Far Cry instanced.
[i7 2600k @4.4ghertz][2x4 GB DDR3 1600][EVGA GTX570 1.280GB SC][EVGA GTX460 physx][Asrock Extreme7 Gen3 Z68][2xSeagate 160 Gb SATA HD raid0][Seagate 250 GB SATA2 HD][Sony Bravia 40' 1080p LCD HDTV][NEC 3520a DVD+-DLw][Windows 7 Ultimate x64][Rosewill 1000w]
fivefeet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 04:55 AM   #143
MUYA

yeah intriguing question that, how much of the foilage have they erm "multi-dude batched"...?
Corsair 600T Case
Old 07-02-04, 04:57 AM   #144
Jarred
OUTCAST

Quote:
So the areas where you would most likely see the FPS dip the most are showing some of the best gains with SM3? This would be the IDEAL situation. Raise the minimum fps as much as possible instead of raising the highest fps.

This is making my decision of getting the 6800u that much easier....

(btw. I feel ashamed...but until I get a new video card I haven't been able to play Far Cry heh. I've just been staring at screen shots of it for the past 6 freakin months....dammit.)
LOL, I was waiting for the 6800u to play Farcry , I just started playing it today, and wow, looks nice, runs nice.

after all the bad luck I've had installing this card, I'm still REALLY happy with it, and wouldn't trade it for anything else (and this is comming from an x800pro) don't get me wrong, the x800pro was still a great card.

I'f anyone here is still considering getting a 6800U I highly recommend it.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
Albert Einstein
Jarred is offline   Reply With Quote