Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-02-04, 03:59 AM   #145
Waffles

Default Re: Far Cry Benchmarks - Shader Model 2.0 vs 3.0

What res/AA/AF do you run with?

I usually sacrifice the AA for higher resolutions. Anything to keep above 60fps as much as possible.
Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 04:00 AM   #146
Jarred
OUTCAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffles
What res/AA/AF do you run with?

I usually sacrifice the AA for higher resolutions. Anything to keep above 60fps as much as possible.
I'm running it at 1024x768 everything set to high, AA set to med.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
Albert Einstein
Jarred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 04:02 AM   #147
Waffles

on multi-dude batching can all the "dudes" be different or something? Like if you try to use geometry instancing in a RTS would all the models be animated the exact same? er don't know if I'm 'splaining this too well...

Imagine a Foosball table All the guys spin at the same time, etc. With geometry instancing would all the dupes have to be at the same frame of the animation?

Ohh hell how about someone with some SM3 knowledge try explaining geometry instancing
Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 04:38 AM   #148
Drax

Medium is 2XQ on the 6800's NOT 4X BTW!!

In my own extensive tweaking of FarCry I think the anti-aliasing scale works like this...

Low 2x
Medium 2xQ
High 4x

I know in .ini file it will show it as the value for the ATI equivelant (so it'll say in the ini that AA is set to 6X for High) but that's not the case. When I switched from Medium to High just out of curiosity suddenly the picture sharpness shot WAY up, and the frame rates are perfectly playable (which if it wa set to 8x would not be the case).
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 04:39 AM   #149
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

Quote:
on multi-dude batching can all the "dudes" be different or something? Like if you try to use geometry instancing in a RTS would all the models be animated the exact same? er don't know if I'm 'splaining this too well...

Imagine a Foosball table All the guys spin at the same time, etc. With geometry instancing would all the dupes have to be at the same frame of the animation?

Ohh hell how about someone with some SM3 knowledge try explaining geometry instancing
A few details from MikeC's preview found here http://www.nvnews.net/previews/gefor.../page_3.shtml;

Quote:
A programmable vertex shader consists of instructions that manipulate vertex element data such as color, position, and texture coordinates. During the execution of a vertex shader, data is sent to an arithmetic logic unit (ALU) to perform the requested arithmetic and Boolean operations. The rasterization process operates on vertex component streams, which are comprised of vertex elements defined in the vertex shader.

Prior to vertex shader 3.0, a vertex shader was called once per vertex. Every time a vertex shader was called, its input registers, which are bound to vertex element data, were initialized with the vertex elements from the vertex streams.
Vertex shader 3.0 allows an application to assign a rate at which vertex shader input registers are initialized. The rate determines the number of vertices that are processed before obtaining data from the vertex stream and loading it to the input registers.

The Vertex Frequency Stream Divider will benefit games that frequently make use of objects that are replicas of one another. In many cases, these objects are designed to perform similar actions and therefore can be efficiently controlled by the rate at which the vertex stream data is updated. The developer can also issue a "batch" update, which will affect all of the objects in a scene or limit the effect to a specific group of objects thereby providing them with unique characteristics.
So i guess the dudes...must be same or similar.
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 04:45 AM   #150
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drax
Medium is 2XQ on the 6800's NOT 4X BTW!!

In my own extensive tweaking of FarCry I think the anti-aliasing scale works like this...

Low 2x
Medium 2xQ
High 4x

I know in .ini file it will show it as the value for the ATI equivelant (so it'll say in the ini that AA is set to 6X for High) but that's not the case. When I switched from Medium to High just out of curiosity suddenly the picture sharpness shot WAY up, and the frame rates are perfectly playable (which if it wa set to 8x would not be the case).

According to my information.

Low

Nvidia

Low: 2x
Medium: 4x
High: 4x

Ati
Low:2x
Medium:2x
High:6x
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 04:57 AM   #151
mikechai
Aegophile

http://www.techreport.com/etc/2004q3...y/index.x?pg=1
Old 07-02-04, 04:59 AM   #152
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Quote:
with valve in ATI's pocket why would they add SM3 support
Why? Because valve better has to add SM3.0 support to their source engine if they want to licence the engine to others. You have to keep up with any technology progress to be able to compete. Not offering SM3.0 means you are limiting yourself and Gabe won't make that mistake. They will keep quite about SM3.0 until HL2 has shipped but then they have officially announce it to stay competitive.

The Cryengine has SM3.0 support and all the nice shaders of HL2, I currently don't see any reason why a developper would choose the source engine over the Cryengine if the source engine had no SM3.0 support (which it has). Having SM3.0 support is now equal to getting big money or not.

This FarCry 1.2 patch now really does prove that SM3.0 is more than just a tool for developpers but can also increase performance and there is still more to come.

Last edited by Morrow; 07-02-04 at 06:43 AM.
Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-04, 05:29 AM   #153
Drax

It's not like ATI isn't ever going to have SM3.0 anyways. With the next batch of cards this will no longer be an issue, so Valve will no doubt have SM3.0 in the Source engine (before or after ATI's next launch will be the big question).
Old 07-02-04, 05:30 AM   #154
Arioch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechai
Just glancing at the 1600x1200 4xAA/8xAF scores, which is the resolution level I play at, it looks like the 6800 Ultra and X800XT PE are pretty close together.

Does anyone with access to the 1.2 patch know if Crytek fixed the issue with miscolored trees that show up on the boat level on the X800 cards? I just hope this patch isn't all just SM3.0 and multiplayer tweaks.

The performance increases on the 6800 cards are impressive no doubt. I do want to see more tests run by websites using their own demos as I don't put a lot of stock when ATI and Nvidia provide people with their custom jobs.
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 05:40 AM   #155
mikechai
Aegophile

ChrisRay's numbers are taken from real world game play, and its good!
Old 07-02-04, 05:42 AM   #156
Drax

Does the SM3.0 functions also take some work off the CPU?? (I kinda doubt it helps much there, but I'm no hardware expert) It would be nice if the larger battles saw some improvement as well.

The biggest hits that I tweak with on my 6800U is between having shadows at medium or veryhigh, and also render modes other then default. Hopefuly I'll be able to crank those two up and still have nice steady frame rates.