Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-02-04, 09:52 AM   #181
jbirney

Default Re: Far Cry Benchmarks - Shader Model 3.0 performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechai
A few notes by looking at the above figures:-
1. There is a big difference between AT and FS numbers.
2. In FS article, from 4xAA to 4xAA+8xAF, XT PE drops very minimal (< 4 fps), while 6800U drops 9-13 fps (no TriOpt?).
3. FS article - XT PE clearly wins, AT article - 6800U clearly wins.

Any thoughts?
Well AT numbers have always been higher then other sights on any of the last 6800 review so not sure whats up. FS/TR seems to be more in line with the other sites (Xbit, PC Presective, ect). Not saying AT is Evil just that they are always high....

Edit what also makes AT numbers a bit wondersome is he has a "400"mhz slower CPU and yet faster numbers? (granted its not a 400mhz as this is the AMD parts with their rating system).... Again not saying anything is evil just i dont know why that would be the case...

Kudo's to NV. Guess I should not have given my GT away

Last edited by jbirney; 07-02-04 at 10:23 AM.
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 10:06 AM   #182
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

First of all, congrats to all 6800 owners as now you'll experience the game the way you should.
Now to the subject at hand. Why is Anandtech the only one showing the 6800 winning, and winning big sometimes? Every other preview has the X800 XT ahead in the majority of the benchmarks and sometimes significantly, regardless of the path being run. I didn't see any sites running anything but the Cat 4.6s for the ATI cards so I don't think it can be their drivers. What's the deal?!
schuey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 10:15 AM   #183
MikeC
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
There is also a new fxc.exe that needs to replace the older version in FarCry's \bin32 directory. Not sure what the results would be like if one failed to replace this but it's a possible reason for the lower scores. Just tossing that out there FWIW.
I had been using an fxc.exe that was modified on 09-12-2003 (772K). It was already in the /Far Cry/Bin32 directory, but I don't know if it was originally added when I installed Far Cry or by one of the patches. The version is listed as 5.3.0000001.1126.

The fxc.exe you sent me was modified on 06-11-2004 (956K). The version is 4.09.00.1247. In any event, I tested with both versions and there was no difference in performance.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 10:19 AM   #184
Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC
I had been using an fxc.exe that was modified on 09-12-2003 (772K). It was already in the /Far Cry/Bin32 directory, but I don't know if it was originally added when I installed Far Cry or by one of the patches. The version is listed as 5.3.0000001.1126.

The fxc.exe you sent me was modified on 06-11-2004 (956K). The version is 4.09.00.1247. In any event, I tested with both versions and there was no difference in performance.
Interesting. Thanks for clarifying this Mike.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 10:24 AM   #185
RanCorX2

i have a question, how is that you have the patch?
RanCorX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 10:25 AM   #186
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Is the patch really coming out Monday. I was kinda freaking out because some reviews said the patch was coming out today. I can't wait. I've been playing alot of games since I got my 6800GT yesterday. Very amazing.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 10:27 AM   #187
OWA

Quote:
i have a question, how is that you have the patch?
Wasn't this addressed already (maybe it was another thread)? They have the patch because they're a website providing a preview, just like AnandTech, PC Perspective, The Tech Report, FiringSquad, and others that have it. The people here that are providing these results work for nvnews. Anyway, it should be released to the public soon.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 10:45 AM   #188
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuey74
First of all, congrats to all 6800 owners as now you'll experience the game the way you should.
Now to the subject at hand. Why is Anandtech the only one showing the 6800 winning, and winning big sometimes? Every other preview has the X800 XT ahead in the majority of the benchmarks and sometimes significantly, regardless of the path being run. I didn't see any sites running anything but the Cat 4.6s for the ATI cards so I don't think it can be their drivers. What's the deal?!
most likely because those are the best case situations. Sm3.0 patch will not benefit is situations where is not used ..Facry is not 100% a SM3.0 game it only PS2.0/1.x game with some 3.0 improvements. means that there is far more room for improvements . but i dont think they are going to rewrite their game for Sm3.0 .. hehe. unless they $$sell it as a mission pack or a new game. which is not a bad idea.. many will buy it.. if Farcry where from the ground optimized for Sm3.0 the game ,performance will be much higher with a LOT more advanced effects and graphics and out of the Box..

here is a screenshot of more cool stuff comming to the game.
the Patch 1.3 will add new effects and graphics from HDR using 64bit Fpblending /Dynamic softshadows and offset Mapping.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FC-PS3.0.jpg
Views:	1089
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	6735  
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-04, 10:48 AM   #189
Sgt_Pitt

Quote from Crytek website
Quote:
In addition to the improvements mentioned in the updated changelog, the 1.2 patch will enable much-anticipated Shader Model 3.0 support for NVIDIA's new GeForce 6-series cards. Leveraging Microsoft's DirectX 9.0c, SM 3.0 support will enable gamers with supported hardware to achieve unprecedented levels of realism in their Far Cry experience.

exactly how does better performace amount to unprecedented levels of realism ?

Are you sure HDR and displacement mapping arent included ?

sounds to me like they are saying it is.
Sgt_Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 10:57 AM   #190
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Pitt
Quote from Crytek website

exactly how does better performace amount to unprecedented levels of realism ?

Are you sure HDR and displacement mapping arent included ?

sounds to me like they are saying it is.

play Facry with a vanilla Geforcefx5200 (a Dx9 card) with higher playable settings you can ,and later play it with a radeon9800XT overcloked in a High end system.. and you will see how better performance allows unprecedent levels of realism.

64bits FP HDR and DM are already included in Farcry but in the 1.3 patch. it just that still is not released to the public since its in beta stages. patch 1.2 only add performance improvements and fix Iq issues.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 11:05 AM   #191
Sgt_Pitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nv40
play Facry with a vanilla Geforcefx5200 (a Dx9 card) with higher playable settings you can ,and later play it with a radeon9800XT overcloked in a High end system.. and you will see how better performance allows unprecedent levels of realism.

64bits FP HDR and DM are already included in Farcry but in the 1.3 patch. it just that still is not released to the public since its in beta stages. patch 1.2 only add performance improvements and fix Iq issues.
they are talking about SM3.0 so we cant relate this to any other card than the 6800,well im already playing it on a 6800u, and 2-10 fps isnt gonna make it more realistic, on the other hand HDR and displacement mapping will definately make it more realistic. So judging by cryteks post HDR and DM is in the 1.2 patch

we can still only wish :P
Sgt_Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 11:09 AM   #192
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nv40
most likely because those are the best case situations. Sm3.0 patch will not benefit is situations where is not used ..Facry is not 100% a SM3.0 game it only PS2.0/1.x game with some 3.0 improvements. means that there is far more room for improvements . but i dont think they are going to rewrite their game for Sm3.0 .. hehe. unless they $$sell it as a mission pack or a new game. which is not a bad idea.. many will buy it.. if Farcry where from the ground optimized for Sm3.0 the game ,performance will be much higher with a LOT more advanced effects and graphics and out of the Box..

here is a screenshot of more cool stuff comming to the game.
the Patch 1.3 will add new effects and graphics from HDR using 64bit Fpblending /Dynamic softshadows and offset Mapping.

Yea, I agree with the mission pack statement. It's the best thing Crytek can do if they aren't including 2.0 fallbacks where possible. This way, if you buy the expansion pack, you can't bitch about the 3.0 effects not running on your 2.0 card as you knew before hand what you were buying. My problem was with alienating customers who dished out the same $40 that 6800 owners did for the game.
I completely understand where the 1.2 patch will benefit the 6800s most, grass & lighting, but the discrepencies in the previews are quite large. I mean, Anand shows the 6800U (not the UE) demolishing the X800 XT in certain levels where FS and most others actually show the XT holding an advantage. Weren't all the sites using the demos provided by Nvidia, plus a couple of their own? The fact is that only Anand is showing the 6800s passing the X800s in performance, while every other preview is showing that the gap between both cards in this game has basically disappeared.
schuey74 is offline   Reply With Quote