Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-02-04, 11:11 AM   #193
Clay

Default Re: Far Cry Benchmarks - Shader Model 3.0 performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuey74
My problem was with alienating customers who dished out the same $40 that 6800 owners did for the game.
Did you feel the same way initially with ATI's TruForm tech?
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 11:47 AM   #194
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
Did you feel the same way initially with ATI's TruForm tech?
I think you took my statement out of context. I have absolutely no problem with a path being released which enables a ton of 3.0 effects. My problem was with there being no fallback to 2.0 when possible, and it is possible in the majority of situations. You can't complain cause you have a 2.0 card and you're not able to experience 3.0 effects. You can complain when you card is purposely being held back, despite being capable of producingthe effects. I would have the same problem if HL2 does not have all the 2.0 effects available to FX 59xx owners just because they would run it slow. Their card's capable of it, albeit at lower rezes, so they should have the option to enable them or not.
Truform was exclusive to ATI and SM 3.0 is not exclusive to Nvidia. The more 3.0 games out there, the better it is for everyone, especially in the long run. I applaud Nvidia for getting SM 3.0 into this generation of cards and for pushing it so hard with developers. Obviously they do this with their interests in mind, but a definete side effect is that there will be a ton more advanced DX9 games out there.
schuey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 12:03 PM   #195
Clay

Quote:
I think you took my statement out of context. I have absolutely no problem with a path being released which enables a ton of 3.0 effects. My problem was with there being no fallback to 2.0 when possible, and it is possible in the majority of situations. You can't complain cause you have a 2.0 card and you're not able to experience 3.0 effects. You can complain when you card is purposely being held back, despite being capable of producingthe effects. I would have the same problem if HL2 does not have all the 2.0 effects available to FX 59xx owners just because they would run it slow. Their card's capable of it, albeit at lower rezes, so they should have the option to enable them or not.
Truform was exclusive to ATI and SM 3.0 is not exclusive to Nvidia. The more 3.0 games out there, the better it is for everyone, especially in the long run. I applaud Nvidia for getting SM 3.0 into this generation of cards and for pushing it so hard with developers. Obviously they do this with their interests in mind, but a definete side effect is that there will be a ton more advanced DX9 games out there.
You're right, I did take it out of context (and also fudged up the TruForm-to-SM3.0 comparison ). My mistake and apology.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 12:04 PM   #196
Arioch

Between all the previews I have read it appears that basically performance between the two high end cards is about equal at 1600x1200 with 4xAA/8xAF which is the setting I play at (16xAF for me though). I saw Firingsquad mention that the 1.2 patch added some graphic problems to X800 cards and even decreased performance. Unless someone is planning to play multiplayer online I think X800 owners should stick to the 1.1 patch as the 1.2 patch doesn't really offer anything of note to the single player game outside of new bugs - thanks Crytek!!!

I am not a player hater so it is nice to see 6800 owners get the level of performance I have been enjoying in this game. Some of the websites used their own custom demos so that explains some of the performance differences.

I will say right now I tend to look at the custom demos websites use to benchmark video cards as I tend to look with a slightly suspicious eye aat any "custom" demo ATI or Nvidia provides.

*Edit* The Hexus preview showed a performance drop between the 1.1 and 1.2 patch - I am absolutely positively certain that this was unintentional on Crytek's part!

Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 12:06 PM   #197
Blacklash
8^9^3

Yes aniso greater than 4X must be set in the system.cfg of Far Cry it only selects to 4AF.

SM 3.0 is supposed to be about performance enhancement through streamlining and simplification as I understood it. As others have said the one pass vs two etc. Most seem to have focused on HDR.

Anywho maybe I can try this next week on my GT, if BB ever ships to me. I have dx9.0c(The rip)

*waits*
SilverStone OP1000-E|SilverStone TJ10-B|Thermalright U-120 Extreme|Win 7 HP x64
Blacklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 12:07 PM   #198
Arioch

If later this year we start to see more games that provide actual SM3.0-only eye candy over just performance optimizations then I will probably be looking at a NV45.
Old 07-02-04, 12:17 PM   #199
Nv40
Agent-Fx

here is Xbitlabs..

they give the crown of FArcry to the 6800Ultra ..and with/without Sm3.0 (1.2 patch).. the Gt outscore in every test the X800pro. the vanilla 6800 comes at times close.and this time with all IQ issues Fixed at full Fp32 precision. however it remains to be seen if ATI issues when using High quality shadows have been fixed (not rendering them).the reason for some sites using medium quality shadows there.if they are ,that might explain the performance diferences with the 1.2 patch wich also adds tons of fix for Ati and Nv cards .

Quote:
The benchmark results achieved today in “Pure Mode” prove that the GeForce 6800 Ultra graphics cards is the fastest performer in FarCry in the majority of cases when it works using Shader Model 3.0 path. While the RADEON X800 XT delivers performance very close to that of the competitor, there are very few cases when the graphics card can outperform the GeForce 6800 Ultra with no full-scene antialiasing and anisotropic filtering enabled. Slightly less powerful options – the GeForce 6800 GT and the GeForce 6800 – also prove to be extremely successful rivals for the RADEON X800 PRO and the RADEON 9800 XT respectively, according to FarCry benchmarks in “Pure Mode”. In fact, both GeForce 6800-series offerings at $399 and $299 price-points leave the rivals behind by quite a substantial margin and therefore can be considered as the best options for FarCry in terms of price/performance ratio.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid.../farcry30.html
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 12:23 PM   #200
Arioch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nv40
here is Xbitlabs..

they give the crown of FArcry to the 6800Ultra ..and with or without Sm3.0 (1.2 patch).. the Gt outscore in every test the X800pro. and this time with all IQ issues Fixed at full Fp32 precision. however it remains to be seen if ATI issues when using High quality shadows have been fixed (not rendering them).the reason for some sites using medium quality shadows there.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid.../farcry30.html
Like I said earlier, performance looks about equal as some of the benchmarks had the X800XT winning and I still think X800 owners have no reason to get the 1.2 patch as it dropped performance and introduced "unintentional" bugs.

But whatever makes you feel better I guess LOL!

I am not sure where you saw them running the benchmarks with the lower quality shadows. There is really only one level that has the shadow bug and it's the Boat level that no one is even testing from what I have seen.

Old 07-02-04, 12:30 PM   #201
Arioch

Well I am heading out of town to a friend's house for the weekend so all you fine folks have a great weekend and you 6800 owners enjoy playing Far Cry monday!

Old 07-02-04, 12:34 PM   #202
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arioch
Well I am heading out of town to a friend's house for the weekend so all you fine folks have a great weekend and you 6800 owners enjoy playing Far Cry monday!

you too fella..
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 01:19 PM   #203
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

So now ATI & Nvidia will likely take turns having slight advantages in Far Cry with each new driver release.....boring, old news! Bring on Doom 3!
schuey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 02:08 PM   #204
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
So now ATI & Nvidia will likely take turns having slight advantages in Far Cry with each new driver release.....boring, old news! Bring on Doom 3!
True, in a sense. I can't wait for Doom 3 since I have my new card. The patch with fix and few things and make the game more enjoyable. I wasn't able to enjoy it with my 5200FX. It sucked.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote