Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-06-04, 04:12 PM   #1
lionguy

Default Resolution for second display (TV Composite)

Hello!
Maybe my last thread is too difficult to understand but now I try to give better expression about my question:
What is the best and recommended screen resolution value for viewing a display screen on 21" TV tube screen?
I tried a resolution value "640x480" but this is not the best final result. Now I`m running my TV OUT at 800x600 but desktop image and video capture screen still do not fit into 21" screen tube. what are the highest supported screen resolutions for tv out if I`m using a NVIDIA FX5200 T128 GPU? Attempt to use 1024x768 did not give the results (X did not started normally) but maybe there is a screen resolution value between 800x600 and 1024x768? Or maybe there are possible to use some different values for Twinvieworientation option? Under Windows there was no problems for using a 640x480 resolution for TV but under linux my tvout configuration with these settings give the worst TV OUT screen. I also tried a "Clone" option but this still does not affect
lionguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-04, 04:52 PM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: Resolution for second display (TV Composite)

You should use 640x480 (NTSC) or 800x600 (PAL). Higher resolutions are not possible on tvs. (tvout chipsets can do resolutions like 1024x768 using interlacing but that is quite useless as the image quality decreases a lot). To get fullscreen image on your tv you need to plan with "overscan". There's an option TVOverscan for the XF86Config file and further you can easily experiment with different overscan values using nvidia's nvidia-settings app.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-04, 06:54 PM   #3
lionguy

Thank You!
I tried some overscanning values.If the overscan settings are minimal (disabled) in the xorg.conf then my second desktop is much smaller than with current settings it is. Then if I increased the values then the desktop image grow up. But the desktop image is still too stretched out for the screen (image is more at rightside). I can not to move it with overscanning. Is possible to move the desktop image more to the left side? I tried to set the desktop wallpaper Centered and scaled. Nothing is better. how can I resize the resolution with deinterlace? And how much is the loss in the quality with deinterlacing?
The point is that I want to see the movie (with subtitles) with mplayer through TV out and I want to get the highest possible quality and more viewable area on TV screen.
Old 07-07-04, 02:01 AM   #4
Thunderbird

Normally a "huge" image is send to a tv to fill the screen on all tvs. (ever wondered why a small tv is about 4:3 and bigger tvs are more like 5:3 ..) The working is showed in this image:
http://tvtool.info/jpgs/oc.jpg

So in real life when you watch a movie using a dvd-player you allways miss parts of the screen and how much you miss depends on the tv. To get real fullscreen on your tv, you need to use overscan so the image atleast fills the tv. Don't think this will be a real problem as most movies are in dvd formats like 720x480 and 720x576 and similar formats.
Old 07-07-04, 03:49 AM   #5
lionguy

OK just a little better result I got with Mplayer when if I had set the picture format to 4:3. But the subtitles are still hided. In Windows I got better screen layout result but I try to adjust the subtitles position in Mplayer.
Old 09-22-04, 02:49 PM   #6
radixvir

Send a message via AIM to radixvir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
Normally a "huge" image is send to a tv to fill the screen on all tvs. (ever wondered why a small tv is about 4:3 and bigger tvs are more like 5:3 ..) The working is showed in this image:
http://tvtool.info/jpgs/oc.jpg

So in real life when you watch a movie using a dvd-player you allways miss parts of the screen and how much you miss depends on the tv. To get real fullscreen on your tv, you need to use overscan so the image atleast fills the tv. Don't think this will be a real problem as most movies are in dvd formats like 720x480 and 720x576 and similar formats.

i have a question to add to this discussion. why does the video output from a computer always have borders or not fit inside the screen, when the video output from a vcr/dvd/etc always lines up to the screen. is there some kind of difference in the signal the 2 are sending to the tv screen? if so, why not make computer card video outputs work like normal vcrs/dvd players?
radixvir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-04, 03:28 PM   #7
Thunderbird

As I illustrated using the previous picture only a part of the actual image is displayed. Using this trick all (4:3) televisions can run in fullscreen. When you connect an external dvd player it sends a big image too. In case of tvout you really notice it as you will notice that you miss parts of the screen. Because you don't want to lose resolution and because it has to work on lots of tvs nvidia uses a default overscan value. On some tvs you will have black borders and on others not as not all tvs are the same.