Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-08-04, 01:07 AM   #25
jimmyjames123

Default Re: NV40 Anisotropic Filtering Investigation

Quote:
To answer the ATi question, it's because ATi use Brilinear instead of Trilinear so that it makes their cards look better compared to Nvidia's.
Not exactly. Note that NV has trilinear optimizations enabled by default, and most reviewers have been testing the NV cards with tri optimizations enabled. One of the real issues here is regarding anisotropic optimizations. It seems pretty clear to me that ATI is using both trilinear and anisotropic filtering optimizations by default, so one would think that it would only be fair to bench against the NV cards that also use tri and aniso filtering optimizations enabled in the driver. However, before that can be done, a detailed image quality analysis using pictures and in-game visual quality inspection should be done that compares ATI's optimized modes to NV's optimized modes.
jimmyjames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-04, 02:28 AM   #26
ChrisRay

Default Re: NV40 Anistropic Filtering Investigation

Quote:
ChrisRay, when you have some time, it would be very interesting to see how fps changes in FarCry when you use the various modes detailed in your review. I suspect that we would see a relatively small performance hit when AF is applied to the 6800 cards if the aniso and tri optimizations are both enabled in the drivers.

Finally, generally, what are your thoughts on the image quality on the 6800 when using performance mode with tri and aniso optimizations enabled?
Sometimes it works, Sometimes it wont. However performance + Tril Optimisations + AF optimisations presents very noticable banding,

Performance + Tril Optimisations is usually ok, It depends on game though, sometimes Anistropic Optimisations cause no harm, Sometimes their results arent pretty.

The reason AF in High Performance/Performance mode is so cheap is because AF is reverted all the way back to Bilinear filtering when the AF opts are on.

Chris
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-04, 02:33 AM   #27
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA
Default Re: NV40 Anistropic Filtering Investigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC
It was me.
ah ok
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-04, 02:53 AM   #28
MontoyaSG

great job
MontoyaSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-04, 03:15 AM   #29
Cheetah70miles

Edited by MUYA Can you stay on topic. Thanks

Last edited by MUYA; 07-08-04 at 03:28 AM.
Cheetah70miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-04, 04:23 AM   #30
Cheetah70miles

in short a word,

condemnation to NVIDIA is good.

condemnation to ATI is Bad.
Cheetah70miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-04, 04:40 AM   #31
ChrisRay

All they want is for you to stay on topic, This isnt about ATIS AF.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
Old 07-08-04, 04:56 AM   #32
zakelwe

A couple of questions

1) If bilinear has no performance hit and trilinear has no performance hit, as you state for modern graphcs cards, then why have trilinear optimisations and/or brilinear ? I'm probably being dumb on this one

2) How long did it take you to do the tests ?

I'm going to look at all the images tonight , but with so many permutations even that will take a while. And that's just for one game. I bet I set it up one way then a few days later have nagging doubts and start perpetually tweaking again ??

Regards

Andy
zakelwe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-04, 05:07 AM   #33
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah70miles
in short a word,

condemnation to NVIDIA is good.

condemnation to ATI is Bad.
In short, find your own soapbox in a corner somehwere, stop stay on topic. The topic and the purpose of this thread is to discuss NV40's AF, (note NV40s) and that is all. We don't need over zealous posts on your behalf. For that you can start your own forums but while you are here you are expected to conduct yourself to MikeC's, nV News forum rules and standards as upheld by us Moderators.

If you insisit on proceeding with such behaviour the moderating team may have to dicuss banning you. We welcome anyone to our forums provided they follow our guidlelines which your above post does not. If you action persists you will leave us with no choice.

Thank you.
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case

Last edited by MUYA; 07-08-04 at 05:32 AM.
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-04, 05:42 AM   #34
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakelwe
A couple of questions

1) If bilinear has no performance hit and trilinear has no performance hit, as you state for modern graphcs cards, then why have trilinear optimisations and/or brilinear ? I'm probably being dumb on this one

2) How long did it take you to do the tests ?

I'm going to look at all the images tonight , but with so many permutations even that will take a while. And that's just for one game. I bet I set it up one way then a few days later have nagging doubts and start perpetually tweaking again ??

Regards

Andy
1) Bilinear and Trilinear filtering seperately do not have a large performance hit on modern graphic card, Ever since the introduction of the Second TMU On the Geforce cards has this been the case. However Anistropic Filtering (can sample pixels up to 16 times and still apply Trilinear filtering) This is a major fill rate bottleneck. I did mention Anistropic Filtering is a different story.

2) It took a while. I think 2 days working for several hours, It's not as much doing it. But you also have to make sense of the data and figure out what it all means.

Chris

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Old 07-08-04, 07:22 AM   #35
zakelwe

Thanks for clearing the first point up, I was forgetting you can have both applied and so therefore it compounds the effect.

I can see myself walking up and down some of the metal gangways tonight to see which is the best compromise for me.

Regards

Andy
zakelwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-04, 09:28 AM   #36
GravY

Great review thanks!
GravY is offline   Reply With Quote