Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-04, 02:34 PM   #121
mmp

Default Re: "screen frozen, but mouse pointer moves" bug

I'm afraid that there may be some hardware issue causing my X to freeze - once or twice it has happened to me with native 'nv' linux drivers. There was no strange record in dmesg nor XFree.0.log, though. And I'm not sure whether the 'nvidia.o' module was or wasn't loaded when it has occured.

I did some more testing - the regular X crash I got using opera few days ago isn't regulary reproducible. The X crashed finally the same way as before, but I used opera about an hour without any problems (RenderAccel disabled, Composite enabled).

The bug happened also with both composite and renderaccel turned off (but afler longer time compared to renderaccel enabled). The configuration and some logs are attached.

Everytime I did some changes, I only commented/discommented the mentioned "Option" lines - RenderAccel and Composite.
Attached Files
File Type: zip freeze.zip (8.7 KB, 368 views)
Old 11-28-04, 01:12 AM   #122
logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruurdjan
I tuned down the AGP speed to 2x now (modifying the Nvidia driver), and it looks stable for now.
I tried AGP 2x after reading this, didn't help.
Old 11-28-04, 09:59 PM   #123
spsobole

Smile Re: "screen frozen, but mouse pointer moves" bug

I had the same lockup problem. Screen would freeze but cursor would move.

dmesg reported:
NVRM: Xid: 13, 0002 02003900 00000039 00000328 00000000 00000800

Killing X which was using 100% cpu would get me X back up and running for a little while again.

I made 2 change and the problem has vanished.
- I'm now using "intel-agp"
- Switched from using Xinerama to TwinView

I have not had a single lockup for 3 days now.

2.6.8.1-12mdksmp ( Mandrake 10.1 )
X.org 6.1
nvidia 1.0-6111 ( I had lockups in both 6111 and 6629 )

I'll be reinstalling the 6629 drivers next to see if the lockups come back.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-30-04, 07:31 AM   #124
lancer01

Well, I'm fighting with this for ages. But when I enable the composite extension and run xcompmgr the system actually became stable.

No GLX though (because of composite), but at least the screen looks cool (and is reasonably fast too)
Old 12-03-04, 03:27 AM   #125
gspr

Here is a little update on my experiences:

I thought I'd try what lancer01 says - and true enough: it seems that enabling the composite extension and having xcompmgr running does the trick (I also had hardware-accelerated composite, if that matters). Before, I used to get random characters replaced with other random characters on my console after I'd fired up X. Maybe 2 characters were at all times replaced with some other characters. This is now GONE, which makes my belief that this is purely a software fault (either on X.org's side, nvidia's side, or both sides) even stronger.
Games seemed to run just fine, only that xcompmgr crashed at some point with a sig11, and after that, the old problems would return. No wonder this happened though - GLX+composite is not supposed to run fine at all (which it did, until xcompmgr at some point segfaulted).

The mere fact that enabling composite and running xcompmgr helps makes it more obvious that we're not just "hundreds of people with faulty cards whining about it".
Since nVidia have chosen to have unfree (as in freedom) drivers, there's really nothing we can do about that, even though we'd like to. Therefor I call upon nVidia to take responsibility and truly look into this. Sure, it could be entirely an X.org stupidity, BUT as long as nVidia's drivers remain unfree, we cannot know this for sure, and must whine at nVidia to get it fixed.

Any confirmations about the xcompmgr+composite(+hw acceleration on composite) way of going around this? Make sure to watch and see if xcompmgr has segfaulted while you play!!
Old 12-03-04, 03:48 AM   #126
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

It's interesting that this combination of COMPOSITE and xcompmgr makes a difference on your system, this does seem to suggest a bug in X or the NVIDIA X driver. If lancer01's suggestion helps on your configuration, then please send a detailed bug report to linux-bugs@nvidia.com. Please note, however, that the symptoms described in this thread can be the result of a variety of problems, most of which are unlikely to be related.
Old 12-03-04, 11:22 AM   #127
jschellhaass

I have noticed something interesting with my setup.

ASUS P4S8X
1 gig RAM
PNY quadro 700
running Gentoo

If I run the gentoo-dev-sources I get no lockups. I have had over 30 days uptime without a problem. The only problem I have is my sound sometimes skips.

If I run the ck-sources (only tried with 2.6.9-ck3) there are times where the system freezes and I can only move the mouse. If I wait a couple of minutes (2-3 maybe more) the system comes back and everything works as usual. With this kernel there is an option under Preemptive Kernel --> Preempt the Big Kernel Lock.

If I run the ac-sources (2.6.9-ac12) I get a hard lock after the GL screen saver has been running for a couple of minutes.

Jeff
Old 12-16-04, 08:09 AM   #128
tknaps

Had the exact same problem here. Turning off AGP using Option "NvAGP" "0" did the trick for me.

This was an Albatron FX5700 card in an old RedHat 8.0 box running 2.4 and XFree86 4.2.1.

Old 12-17-04, 01:28 AM   #129
alexz75

I had the same problem on Asus P4S533 SIS-Based motherboard with LeadTek 170 (440MX based card).
Any configuration channges not help me...

I replaced my LeadTek to Gainward with the same chipset, and now it ok, without any configuration changes.
Old 01-04-05, 12:57 AM   #130
Neutro

Just for the record... haven't been on the forum for months. I was a regular back then with that problem, and it solved itself when I bought a new card.

The old one (a "generic" GF2MX) would cause the freeze from time to time on my computer (Athlon XP 1800+ and Asus A7V266), sometimes repeatably with some drivers, but seemed stable on a friend's computer.

My new card (an MSI GF4MX), with the same OS, never caused me any trouble. Thus I thought that was a hardware problem.
Old 01-05-05, 03:02 PM   #131
sebo

Same problem.
6106, 6111 and 6629 don`t work on Suse 9.1 or Suse 9.2. Only the old 5336 works (even better than nv). Ive got a Geforce FX 5600XT.
Old 01-06-05, 12:00 AM   #132
CatAlysm

Angry Re: "screen frozen, but mouse pointer moves" bug

Same issue here.

Mandrake 10.1
2.6.8-1 (Compiled w/o Framebuffer support - Otherwise vanilla)
XFX 5700LE 128MB
580MB RAM
XP 1800+
GNOME 2.6 (Waiting for E17 stable ^_^ )
xorg 6.7

Whenever I use the "nvidia" driver, I fire up X and, sure enough, after about one or two minutes, it hangs but the mouse pointer moves. When I use the "nv" driver, everything works, but it's dog-ass slow. For instance, one of the symptoms I'm seeing is that, when using the "Log Out" option in GNOME, the screen is supposed to slowly fade grey. Instead of doing that, it seems like it's drawing grey-tones from the top to bottom of the screen like a waterfall. Also, scrolling in Sim City 4 in Cedega is jumpy as is scrolling in Firefox.

I've tried agpgart, nv, nvidia and mucked around with the NvAGP setting to no avail. Previous to this, I had an MX440 (64MB) which ran fine (although Doom 3 was a slideshow). I've tried rolling back to the 6111 drivers but they fail to build.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and, preferrably, a fix from nVidia.
Closed Thread