Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-04, 03:16 PM   #25
hollovoid7

Default Re: "screen frozen, but mouse pointer moves" bug

having the same issue, the machine will sit and not lockup if I leave it idle but the second I start doing something, it freezes the screen,, but the mouse still moves, oh and once got a mp3 playing before it locked, the mp3 kept running through the whole playlist , so I know the system is doing something, but its def not allowing any user input (keyboard controls or mouse clicks) Nvidia needs to get off thier ass about this..
Old 08-30-04, 01:37 PM   #26
Ella the Cat

I'm new here. Athlon Tbird, KT7A-RAID, FX200 AGP, SuSE91. Tried all the stuff above, glad to know I'm not alone. Only burnt 34 quid or so on the card, bought it 'cos it has no fan- but annoyed to waste the dosh nevertheless. Back to using GeForce2 PCI card (sigh).

Anyway, I have one thing to add. I thought it might be my PSU struggling (I have 5 hard drives). When I disabled some drives, did a cold boot, the video BIOS message came up, but then the screen went blank and I got an underscore cursor. It used to happen rarely, then all the time, hence I went back to the PCI card - won't tempt fate but it seems to be working (gulp).

I just can't see how the weirdness survives a cold boot.
Old 08-31-04, 11:21 AM   #27
Gary B.

Hello there, I'm new here and experiencing the same problem. I have SUSE 9.1 pro, Slackware 10, and Fedora core 2 installed on this machine using a GeForce fx 5600 xt card. On the Fedora and Slackware operating systems I am runinng the 6111 driver and I believe Fedora and Slack both use xorg. On the SUSE o.s. I use the NVIDIA driver (not sure which one, but it is the driver installed via yast at the end of the installation process), I also believe SUSE uses xf86. Thing is, I'm experiencing this on all three operating systems so I'm guessing this problem is not limited to the driver, os, or whether or not it is xorg or xf86, is this correct? Is it specific to Via chipsets? And lastly, does anyone know of a fix, other than using the nv driver, or know when/if NVIDIA plans on fixing this? Sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been asked, but I was pulling my hair out over this for weeks, thinking it had to be a problem with my hardware (well I guess it is since I have an NVIDIA card, which I still beleive is better than the alternative) before I came across this forum and thread. So I'm trying to summarize and get caught up. Thanks in advance for any and all input, and at least now I know it's not my hardware at fault. - Gary
Old 08-31-04, 12:29 PM   #28
hylje

Also experiencing 2D X freeze.

fedora core 2
2.6.7-1.494.2.2.stk16 kernel
6106/6111 drivers tested

gfx card :

geforce 4 ti 4400
and
geforce 3

I think some recent update has caused these irregular crashes. I do recollect not having problem with fresh install and 6106 drivers. But ... I do have bad memory

I have sended nvidia-bug-report.log to nvidia and I do hope rest of you guys did too. I believe that it could help solving our problem quicker by sending direct mail to linux-bugs @ nvidia.com .

-hylje
Old 08-31-04, 02:48 PM   #29
Gary B.

Man this is aggravating, I tried to post here twice while on Slackware saying that Slackware seemed to be the least problematic of my three operating systems (Guess not eh? Fact is, I would have to say that SUSE seems to give me less problem) and I'll be damned if the screen didn't freeze on me both times. There must be a common denominator among those of us who are experiencing this. I mean, if it were happening to every Linux user that has a NVIDIA card, I think I would have heard about it sooner. In fact I run SUSE on another machine, also with an NVIDIA card, without a hitch. I've been thinking about replacing this moboard anyway and I am curious, is there anyone out there experiencing this problem that does not use a board with a Via chipset? - Gary
Old 09-01-04, 01:50 AM   #30
pfudd

I realize that I'm having more or less the same problem. Here is my thread:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35598

The card, a Gforce4 MX 440, works fine in 2d, but freezes (and unfreezes, and finally messes up the screen completely) after 5 minutes (or longer, depending on the screen resolution of bzflag, my favorite game right now). Mouse moves, I can ssh in, X seems to be stuck in a weird state (high cpu), killing X doesn't completely solve the problem, when it's really stuck only a reboot can give me my display back.
Old 09-01-04, 03:24 PM   #31
hollovoid7

does anybody get this problem outside of Kernel 2.6.x (eg 2.4.x) because I only get it in 2.6, 2.4 will run for weeks without issue, 2.6 locks for me with both nv and nvidia driver within a few minutes of logging on into any window manager or desktop. no matter what im doing.. very frustrating, and no response from nvidia, or my distro guess I cant update.
Old 09-02-04, 12:01 AM   #32
mj chivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollovoid7
does anybody get this problem outside of Kernel 2.6.x (eg 2.4.x)
Good point, previously I was running a GF3 Ti500 on an agp x4 mobo under Red Hat 7.3 and 9.0 with no problems (sorry, i'm at uni with no access to the kernel version #'s) . Recently upgraded my motherboard to AGP x8, card to a FX6800 128 and my linux os to Fedora core 2 and now i'm getting the problem as explained in this thread. I'll try installing my GF3 tonight.

I only get the problem when i exit out of OpenGL programs ie Chromium where my cpu usage goes through the roof. Last night i ran glxgears without a hitch but I'll try resizing it tonight and see what happens.

I was also having the freezing problem in windows xp, i solved it by installing the 65.73 WHQL drivers.

My guts telling me it has something to do with an AGP x8 incompatiblity with nvidia drivers and/or linux kernals.

Old 09-02-04, 12:42 PM   #33
momenman

Well, I installed the FX5700 this morning without having any clue that the problem mentioned in this thread exists ! I thought that NVIDIA would not create any problem with a card from the previous generation.

Anyway, I am running Mdk 9.2 (2.4.22 ) on a 733MHz PIII on a 440BX mobo -s othe problem is there even with 2.4 kernels . I have tested 5336, 6106 and 6111 - all sharing the same problem. Didn't have any problem with the GeForce2 MX200 at all. Wondering whether to replace 5700 with a 5200 ( does it have the same problem or wait out till NVIDIA fixes this.

BTW, I don't have any problem with the card on Win2K ( even ran Quake etc. without any hiccups ... ) so the problem is with the Linux driver - not with the hardware
setup.

Is Andy Mecham even aware of this problem? I wonder .....

BTW, it might be of no importance - the problem appears only when "GLX" is summoned - including glxinfo - but on 2d no problem.
Old 09-02-04, 09:01 PM   #34
hollovoid7

Well I am running the 5200fx currently, so it may produce the same results, and I doubt its the hardware too, cause ive never had issues in any operating system before, and for me changing specific settings in the driver doesnt do much but maybe give me enough time to click the menu once before it locks, lol. and it also seems once i install the driver once, switchin back to the nv driver no longer works, so I have to run a kernel I didnt build the nvidia driver against, that isnt 2.6.x to even be functional. and this happens in all builds of the driver ive tested
Old 09-03-04, 04:56 AM   #35
momenman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollovoid7
so I have to run a kernel I didnt build the nvidia driver against, that isnt 2.6.x to even be functional. and this happens in all builds of the driver ive tested
I am a litle confused - do you mean that there is a kernel version for which the problem doesn't arise. Sorry if I misunderstood you . If not could you please post the
kernel version and the nvidia driver versions.

Thanks.
Old 09-05-04, 09:04 AM   #36
Ella the Cat

Default Re: "screen frozen, but mouse pointer moves" bug (fixed cross fingers)

I think I've charmed the nvidia driver to be stable. Woohoo!

I don't want to raise any false hopes but I'm running the nvidia driver on
SuSE91, 2.6.5-7.95-default, recompiled to add the one module I needed but otherwise configured "make cloneconfig". I was getting the "screen frozen mouse pointer moves bug" with an FX5200 AGP card. I was stressing my 300W PSU a bit with the FX5200 (five hard drives) so I've gone back to a GeForce2 MX400 PCI card with the nvidia driver for a while till I get a bigger PSU. I'm pretty sure the PCI card was hanging too but I didn't take thorough notes and I'm a bit punch drunk with all the rebooting.

Some stuff I've noticed that may help. It's a "monkey see monkey do" approach combined with regression testing, no deep insights I'm afraid.

Check you really are compiling the right driver at install. I managed to install a pre-compiled kernel by using an inappropriate command line argument, so double check against nVIDIA instructions, and check that you are actually compiling for your kernel. My setup moaned about not being able to find a screen when I got this wrong.

If you use 'Option "NvAGP" "1"' make sure you've disabled AGPGART in
/etc/hotplug/blacklist - I got that tip by reading this forum but I can't find it again so thanks to whoever it was. If you don't disable AGPGART this way then it seems to override 'Option "NvAGP" "1"'.

When my system died it usually drew a rectangle filled with thin lines near the mouse suggesting a cursor problem. So I think disabling the hardware cursor does the trick thus:

Option "SWCursor" "on"
Option "HWCursor" "off"

Finally, the acid test. Posting here will trigger the bug. Certainly every time I begin to relax it happens.
Closed Thread