Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-05-04, 03:23 PM   #37
maro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Holy Roman Empire
Posts: 64
Default Re: "screen frozen, but mouse pointer moves" bug (fixed cross fingers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella the Cat
I think I've charmed the nvidia driver to be stable. Woohoo!
Yeah, by changing the video card. That's called cheating.

More to the point, the problem only occurs with certain hardware combinations and not with others. So far I can not see a fix that works for all.

Btw, since some posters commented on it earlier, it must be a year now that I sent a bug report to nvidia. SInce then I have neither had any reply nor has it been fixed...
maro is offline  
Old 09-06-04, 02:17 AM   #38
HellToupee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2
Send a message via ICQ to HellToupee
Default Re: "screen frozen, but mouse pointer moves" bug

i get this problem pretty regularly now to, i used to get crashes in ut now and again and ahd to reboot, but now it happens all the time, and i can reproduce it to, trying to start blender almost always seems to cause it.
__________________
HT
HellToupee is offline  
Old 09-14-04, 07:54 PM   #39
[XpL]Raptor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3
Default Re: "screen frozen, but mouse pointer moves" bug

The same Problem here, but with FreeBSD 5.3-beta4, so its not really Linux specific.
FreeBSD 5.3-BETA4 (WRAITH) #3: Mon Sep 13 23:05:57 CEST 2004
nvidia-driver-1.0.6113_1
xorg-server-6.7.0_7

The system is otherwise rocksolid stable, but running mplayer or some other derivate of it, will trigger the bug. I was thinking of a faulty XVideo extension, but after reading this board I'm not sure anymore...
[XpL]Raptor is offline  
Old 09-14-04, 08:51 PM   #40
SED
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3
Default Re: "screen frozen, but mouse pointer moves" bug

I got the problem too, Im running Winfast Leadtek GeForce 4800SE Vivo on A7N8X Deluxe motherboard which is a nvidia nforce2 chipset. So its not just via motherboards causing this problem.

Rest of Hardware: AMD 2500+, 512 Ram.
Im running Debian 3.0, KDE 3.2, Kernel 2.6.8, nvidia 6111.

I have also noticed it has happened most often when clicking on a combo box in KDE, just like someone mentioned earlier.

The time it takes to crash seems almost random, I've had it occur within 5 mins of booting and have also managed to last upto 5hrs without a crash.

Its a real disappointment because this system can seriously run for weeks in XP without a hitch and cant last more than 5hrs in Linux.

I have been a great fan of nvidia over the years and I know they make great products. I am sure you will agree it was users like us that bought the TNTs and GeForces at the beginning and have stuck with them over the years are partly responsible for nvidias great success. I hope we dont get forgotten now and get this fixed asap. Otherwise a much unwanted but necessary migration to ATI will probably have to happen.
SED is offline  
Old 09-15-04, 02:23 PM   #41
cyco
GF4 Ti4200 | nforce2 chip
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17
Default Re: "screen frozen, but mouse pointer moves" bug

sometimes same problem here.
I have a 95% chance the system locks up after logging out of my desktop environment and a 5% chance the screen gets blank but still shows the mouse cursor. In this case, I was able to kill X with ctrl-alt-backspace and return to the console where I faced a kernel oops.
Interesting is that the kernel oops always had something to do with spin_lock:
Code:
 mm/mmap.c:97: spin_lock(fs/inode.c:d59d328c) already locked by mm/mmap.c/97
I think nvidia's driver is messing around with spin_lock calls.

btw - this problem only occurs when using nvagp. Using agpgart X won't even come up: the system locks up at X startup. When using neither agpgart nor nvagp, everything works, but is awfully slow.
cyco is offline  
Old 09-15-04, 03:29 PM   #42
zander
NVIDIA Corporation
 
zander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,740
Default Re: "screen frozen, but mouse pointer moves" bug

cyco: when posting Oops's or BUG's, please include the complete stack trace(s), as well as the exact kernel release (and patches) used. The spinlock in question doesn't look like one owned by the NVIDIA driver.
zander is offline  
Old 09-15-04, 03:38 PM   #43
cyco
GF4 Ti4200 | nforce2 chip
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17
Default Re: "screen frozen, but mouse pointer moves" bug

I've sent a complete bug report to nvidia, including everything I got, dmesg and ksymoops and stuff.
No, the spin_lock doesn't look like the one owned by nvidia, but maybe nvidia's spin_lock is conflicting with others. Maybe nvidia made a spin_lock, didn't release it, and another driver now has to handle with that mess. No idea, I'm no coder nor kernel hacker.
This kernel oops happens about everytime X is being reloaded by gdm/kdm/whatever, when using nvagp = 1, and only then. Without nvagp or agpgart, I never see a kernel oops on my system. This might be a hint that nvidia has something to do with it.
cyco is offline  
Old 09-15-04, 03:50 PM   #44
zander
NVIDIA Corporation
 
zander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,740
Default Re: "screen frozen, but mouse pointer moves" bug

You seem to be using a modified Fedora Core 2 kernel; does the problem reproduce with a vanilla or stock Fedora Core 2 kernel?
zander is offline  

Old 09-15-04, 04:02 PM   #45
cyco
GF4 Ti4200 | nforce2 chip
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17
Default Re: "screen frozen, but mouse pointer moves" bug

Using fedora's 2.6.8-1.521 (which includes agpgart), X runs when I set "nvagp" to "0" or "1" and I am able to exit X w/o any problems. Leaving this option unset or set to "3", the system halts when X is started up.
So I switched to 2.6.8-1.521.stk16 from linuxant.com, b/c some posts told about problems with a 4k stack size. -stk16 also includes agpgart, same behaviour.
Then I took the 2.6.8-1.521.stk16 srpm, made a setup without agpgart and removed some other modules I had no use for, recompiled the whole thing and that's it. With this kernel, nvagp is used (xorg.conf's setting is "nvagp=1 - do not use agpgart, use nvagp") but that kernel oops occurs at logout.
Right now I'm using linuxant's -stk16 kernel with "nvagp" = "1" (so I do not use agp at all) and everything works, but graphics are quite slow.
cyco is offline  
Old 09-16-04, 11:32 AM   #46
[XpL]Raptor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3
Default Re: "screen frozen, but mouse pointer moves" bug

Now, I've got a workaround for that particular bug under FreeBSD. Starting some OpenGL application (glxgears) before using mplayer/kaffeine/xine etc. seems to elimanate it.
This is just meant as a sidenote, since this symptom (freezing w/o hardware mouse pointer) seems to be more general and cannot be pinned down to a single point of failure.
[XpL]Raptor is offline  
Old 09-19-04, 08:40 AM   #47
momenman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18
Default Re: "screen frozen, but mouse pointer moves" bug

Interesting solution.

how did you manage to figure it out?

On linux I have the opposite problem - everytime I run anything involving GLX - the screen freezes. So one has to figure out a different fix ......

Good luck.
momenman is offline  
Old 09-23-04, 09:14 AM   #48
hollovoid7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 19
Default Re: "screen frozen, but mouse pointer moves" bug

I got mine working, I dunno, see if it may help??

removing glx was a must for me,. and enabling NvAGP 1, my system seems to be running somewhat stable without that problem, lol guess i didnt try it all..
hollovoid7 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.