Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-04, 06:57 AM   #49
SpOOnman

Default Re: "screen frozen, but mouse pointer moves" bug

I am another victim fo this annoying bug. It occurs for all time I use linux - from January.

For me I can reproduce this bug with 90% probability. The X lockups ONLY in Qt-based applications in some specified situations. The most lockups I have working with Opera browser. To make my X locked up I have to highlight 'column name' button, just like I want to push it to sort by. The same gets with horizontal scroll bar (vertical is ok!!!) - the moment I grab it with a mouse - X locks up. These are 90% crashing situations, using Opera (and Mozilla too) :/ crushes my system.

It locks alson in other Qt applications, it has never locked up in Gtk/X/Motif appliaction and never in Quake3Arena (I play it intesnsively).

To be honoest it's most annoying thing on inux I've ever seen and crushes the myth of stable OS - few lockups daily and I have to switch Windows to use internet browser!!! Please, fix it. It's a little programming bug, I'm sure of it.

Configuration:
Linux Debian Unstable
kernel 2.4.X -> 2.6.8 for now (kernel change does no changes)
GeForce 440MX 64 MB
nVidia drivers - since 5xxx to the latest 6111 (no changes)
Old 09-28-04, 03:23 PM   #50
Mathias1975

Welcome in the Club. I'm debian user using SARGE with 2.6.8 kernel compiled. NVIDIA MSI FX 5200 crushes while starting Mozilla. I installed Mandrake 10 Official and it crushed too when trying to start device manager. I was trying to run on diiferent kernel versions and different nvidia drivers and I found no clue. As mentioned before no info on logs. There was some lucky installations when it ran successfully but there were so many of these that I can not figure it out what configuration it was and most probably I didn't run it long enough to be sure. Looking forward for solution.
What do you think about buying some ATI cards ?
Configuration:
MSI GeForce FX 5200
Athlon 1200 MHz
Abit KT7A-RAID with VIA KT133A
512 MB RAM
Sound Blaster Vibra 128 CT4810
Realtek 8139C
Old 09-28-04, 04:42 PM   #51
hollovoid7

what does your xfree86.conf or xorg.conf have in it, might be able to figure out whats going on
Old 09-29-04, 03:52 AM   #52
vincoof

Send a message via ICQ to vincoof Send a message via AIM to vincoof

Another victim.

MSI 645 Ultra (based on SiS 645 chipset)
Leadtek GeForceFX 5600 Ultra (AGP 8x)
Mandrake 10.0 / Kernel 2.6

I tried many of the things mentioned (changing ACPI, NvAGP, etc) and never worked. The only thing that would work is changing the driver to "nv" or "vesa".

As for graphics cards, the problem also appears on my old MSI GeForce4 MX440 (AGP 4x) and my new Leadtek GeForceFX 5900XT (AGP 8x), although I don't remember having many problems with my GeForce4 MX . Maybe that was due to an older driver version (I've heard the very first driver releases didn't have that problem).

As for driver version, I've tried almost every version till the beginning. It happened on all driver version I can remmeber of, that is fifteen months ago or so.

As for linux distribution, I've tried almost all Mandrake releases till 8.0 (all with 2.4 kernels) and also attempted Fedora Core 1, with no luck. However, I prefer Mandrake because I can kick the X server with Alt+Sys+K, whereas FC1 would never respond to this.

The good point is that the Alt+Sys+K combination works under Mandrake, and even though I lose my X session (thus lose all opened documents) I'm still glad that I can continue working without rebooting. I can login again very quickly, and I don't lose all "non-graphical" applications (especially services, which is a good point because I run servers).

This is definately a driver issue since the problem doesn't happen with the "nv" driver, and doesn't happen on Win2k or WinXP.
Old 09-29-04, 07:28 AM   #53
SpOOnman

Maybe some moderator sign this thread as "sticky" and mark it as Linux-First-TODO for next releases?
Old 09-29-04, 07:38 AM   #54
hollovoid7

most definitly, this seems to be a far reaching problem, I do have mine working now, not a lockup in over a week since I changed my Xorg.conf

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "fbdevhw"
#Load "glx"
Load "record"
Load "freetype"
Load "type1"
#Load "dri"
EndSection

commenting out the "glx" and "dri" seemed to work wonders.
Old 09-29-04, 08:41 AM   #55
energyman76b

Hi,

your xorg.conf is.... stupid.
this: Load "fbdevhw" cries out for problems. It could be the one and only culprit for all your problems. Are you using rivafb? If yes, someone should hit you with a big stick.
with this: #Load "glx" of course everything is ok, because you are not using the 3d-accel any more.
DRI should not be in your config. That you had to comment it out (and you did it after whining around) tells everybody, that you have not read the README.
Load "record" is not a 'smart' option for end-users.
And when you are using a unstable distri, don't be surprised about probs.
Old 09-29-04, 07:16 PM   #56
hollovoid7

stupid why,, I had problems with the lockups with both the Nvidia driver and the NV open source one.. I dont use 3d in linux, because I run a server, all I wanted was to get the thing running.. which is what most of the people on here are having problems with, running whatsoever. instead of insulting try being informative about your posts as in explaining what some of the comments in the xorg.conf actually are. as all of us are not experienced linux users.. and as for Load "fbdevhw" causing problems, I have never seen anything saying that it causes problems, not in any search ive done on this problem, not from Nvidia (who by the way suggested what I did in my xorg in the first place) so if ya had this info in the first place maybe ya should have posted as "try removing this, it is known to cause problems" ..
just a thought??

Old 09-29-04, 08:07 PM   #57
energyman76b

Hi,

fbdevhw is for framebuffer drivers. You do not want to fiddle around with framebuffer stuff. This is a copmpletly different way of handling the card than using the nv or nvidia drivers. That is why it should never be there. Do not load stuff you do not need. It is only more bloat and bugs and wired behaviour.
Old 09-29-04, 08:24 PM   #58
hollovoid7

thanks for the info, removing that also helped things along.. im learnin step by step, eventually I will know something bout what im doin, lol, setting up ftp and web def went way smoother than messing with something ive never had to deal with before. hopefully some of these settings can be changed by the nvidia install in the future, so these probs can be avoided? eh oh well, prolly askin too much :/
Old 09-29-04, 09:11 PM   #59
energyman76b

Hi,
I must admit, I was not very friendly. I am sorry for that.

For the automatically xorg.conf: X is a very complex conglomerat of modules, libs, extensions, all deliviering different functionality, controlled by more than one config file. There are some semi-automatic ways to setup a working config, but all of them need some user intervention after completion, to get optimal results or even working versions. Configuring X is a hard job, exspecially if you want more than the normal 'grakax+monitory' setup. The manpages are not a great help, but a good thing is, if you see something in the configs, look if you find something about it in the manpages, you can search them with apropos, for example.
Old 09-30-04, 05:46 AM   #60
Mathias1975

Looking back at everything that has happend to me with screen frozen or not I can put forward a thesis that the screen has begun to freeze when I chaned starting console to VGA with colour logo. When I was using text console everything was just right and when I decided to change it to VGA console which looks better I have had my screen frozen with moveable pointer over it. Taking a look at some guys kernels presented above I can see that all of them have vga console being set on. Exactly the same was happening to me when I was trying to run mandrake which has a vga console by deafult. Unforunately I can not manage to check it right now but who knows maybe it is right way to solve this problem. Tell me what do you think and try to answer if you have the vga console set on while system starts.
Closed Thread