Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-23-02, 07:11 PM   #1
Ceayene

Question GeForce4 440MX (AGP 8x) v/s RH7.3

Ok. So I got this MSI GeForce 4 MX AGP 8x board, and I was happy. I made it run under Windows. Of course, it worked fine and I was very happy. I installed LINUX, RH73, as I had on my previous system. And it won't work. Boots fine, but apparently, X server can't set things allright, because the image hiccups and I never get to see the xadm welcome screen. Not being a LINUX expert "linux rescue" offered me little chances of repairing things, so I reinstalled everything but I chose a generic VGA card. Ok, it boots up and all. But refresh rate is 60Hz and I just can't get it changed, through Xconfigurator or whatever. OF course I'd like to set things straight, but MSI doesn't seem to offer a LINUX driver for their board, and all posts I've seen talk about GeForce Ti's or GeForce2.

Help!

P.S.: Please! If you've got a solution, post it STEP-BY-STEP. I'm kinda moronic at configuring LINUX.
Old 10-23-02, 07:35 PM   #2
bwkaz

Any solution you have seen for any GeForce card and RedHat 7.3 will work with your card. Regardless of whether it's an MX, a Ti, a GF2, AGP 8x, it doesn't matter. It should still work.

If you need help deciding which driver files to download (you do have a GUI set up, right? even if it's just vga, as long as it works), go to the nVidia driver page and download the NVchooser program (to your home directory will work just fine). Pull up a terminal emulator, and type sh NVchooser.sh to run it -- note that filenames and such are case sensitive. If you don't want to type out all of NVchooser.sh, you can just type the first few letters and hit tab to autocomplete the filename. Autocomplete is useful for any filename, btw. Anyway, when you run it it will tell you which files to download. These filenames are OK up to the version. For example, if it says to download NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.rh73up_2.4.17_10.i686.rpm, then NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.rh73up_2.4.17_10.i686.rpm will work just as well, since the two files differ only by nVidia's version. If the kernel version (the 2.4.17_10 part) is different, though, it won't work.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-02, 09:58 PM   #3
Ceayene

First: Thanks. So, no matter the card, it should work. Thnks for the tip.

Second: I did have a GUI up and running. I managed to destroy it, though. I can fix that.

Third: Ok, got the files rpm'd them and all that stuff. Then what?. (I did all this before destroyed the GUI). Things don't seem to get done bi themselves... plus, I'm suspecting that installing those kernels made my GUI explode... is that possible?

Fourth: I was reading some guides here in the forum, and one of them referred to issuing the command

XFree86 -configure

...but when I try such, I cries out that there's already a server started or whatever. How do I frag the *******' server, so It won't respawn? I was logged through the "back terminals" (CTRL+ALT+...) and there was no frsking way of getting rid of the server. None that I managed to discover, that is. I was looking for something like "stopx", but not. Closest: "xkill". Couldn't manage to get it to do what I wnated. Damn. I hate being a newbie.

Fifth, and last: Ok. Let's suppouse that I eventually get to set all this stuff square. And let's suppouse, for academic pourpouses, that my monitor still hangs to 60Hz, and that I haven't bleeded my eyes out by that time. How fo I change (easily, like in "frontend") the refresh rate?

Thanks for your patience and collaboration.

Juan P. Canepa
Santiago, Chile.

P.S.: please forgive my english. I'm a bit rusty.

---------
If it ain't broke, hit it again.
Old 10-24-02, 09:06 AM   #4
bwkaz

For 3, the README file details what you have to change in your X config files. Follow those instructions.

For 4, I'm not sure what that guide was smoking... you shouldn't need to -configure X, because any X-inherent configuration tool won't know about how the nVidia drivers set themselves up, and it will screw up your config file. If you change it manually, then it's even more important that you not run an auto-configure program, because it will trample your manual changes. But if you really want to try, or if you need to shut down X for some other reason, then from one of those "back consoles" as you call them (they aren't really, they're actually the original login method), if you do an init 3, X will shut down and not come back. You might also get pushed back to the text-mode login screen, but that's easy enough to deal with.

For 5, I don't know. X claims to automatically choose the highest refresh rate that the video card, video driver, and monitor can handle, but I don't know how to override this if it's wrong.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote