Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-15-04, 05:45 PM   #1
EdZ

Default Installing drivers on Mandrake 10.0

I recently installed Mandrake 10.0 with no prior experiance with linux, and I'm a bit stuck with installing the nVidia drivers. When I run the installer in text mode it says it can't find the kernel source, so I put in the Mandrake disk 3, went to the RPM directory and typed 'urpmi kernal-source' (after much googling on the problem this was about as much help as I could find). It installed the kernel source (as far as I can tell, it didn't give me any error messages) but when I tried to run the installer I still get the 'can't find kernal source' error.

I have no idea what I'm doing, so I really need a command-by-command guide on what the problem is and how to fix it.
EdZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-04, 07:00 PM   #2
Techscroll

Lightbulb Re: Installing drivers on Mandrake 10.0

I don't know why you are receiving that error specifically, however I will go over the process I followed to install the driver on Mandrake 10.0.

1. Boot the computer into failsafe mode. You can go into failsafe mode from the boot loader when you first turn your computer on.
2. When you get to the command line type telinit 3. This will take you into user mode 3 instead of 1.
3. If it asks for login, enter "root", then enter the password.
4. Navigate to and initiate the setup file. If you saved it on your desktop you would type "cd /home/%username%/desktop" Obviously replacing the %username% with your username. After which, you can initiate the file by typing "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6106-pkg1.run".
5. It should give you some prompts, just follow them through, hitting "enter to accept the highlighted option"
6. After it is finished, you need to edit your XF86Config-4 file. To navigate there type "cd /etc/X11". Once there you can edit the config file using VIM. So type "vim XF86Config-4". Once you are in the vim editor, you can edit your settings to replace the "nv" or "vesa" driver with "nvidia". It will be located under the device section. If you have never used the vim editor, there are only a couple of commands you will need to accomplish this. First, to make changes to the file you need to hit the "insert" key, this will take you into insert mode and you can add to you config. Be careful not to hit insert twice or it will take you into replace mode and you may end up deleting text. After you are done makeing changes, hit the "ESC" key to exit insert mode and then type ":wq". This will tell vim to save (or write) the file and quit the program.
7. Type reboot to reboot.
8. Make sure you enter into the correct "Linux" partition.

You should now be using the nvidia driver, cheers!

-Justin
Techscroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-04, 09:44 AM   #3
EdZ

Default Re: Installing drivers on Mandrake 10.0

That is the sequence I tried, but I recieve the 'can't find kernel source' error after step 4. After I accept the license agreement it gives me the error.
EdZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-04, 02:46 PM   #4
Techscroll

You may try a couple things then. First I would re-download the file, to ensure it was not corrupted duting the download. Then I would boot into init3 and run "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6106-pkg1.run --uninstall". This should uninstall any of the driver that was installed. After that re-run the setup, make your changes to the XF86Config-4 and pray.

-Justin
Techscroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-04, 03:58 PM   #5
Simon Charles

I'm also having a problem with installing the latest drivers on Mandrake 10. I'm a *complete* newbie, and I still managed to extract the nvidia file. I even reached the config file and changed "vesa" to "nvidia".

On the next boot, I briefly saw the Nvidia splash screen. I thought it was good news, but then I realized nothing had changed. The system configuration still can't see my graphic card (GFX 5700). It says it's a PCI device, unknown module, with lots of question marks.

I also can't find anything Nvidia related anywhere. Is there a control panel somewhere? Shouldn't I be able to see a change of any kind after installing the drivers? My refresh rate is still the same, image quality is still washed out and all blurry -- as if I was still running vesa.

I made sure I acessed as root. I also double checked and the config file still says "nvidia". But nothing seems to have changed.

I can't reinstall. Every time I try to extract the file, it says an nvidia module is already there. Sure doesn't look like it.

What have I done wrong?

Thanks

Simon

Athlon XP 2000+
Asus A7V8X mobo -- Via KT400 chipset
512mb ram
GFX 5700 non-ultra
Linux Mandrake 10.0
Simon Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-04, 06:08 AM   #6
Ma-at

Smile Re: Installing drivers on Mandrake 10.0

hi there...

my two cents :

first thing :

if you can see the nvidia spash screen, the nvidia driver is obviously launching... and well recognizing your card.

to make sure, you can have a glance at /var/log/XFree86.0.log.

if you want more info you can look at it after a startx -- -logverbose 6 (thx to nvidia support for this info)

if i were you, i'd rather turn my eyes to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file and to the modes defined for the screen.

if you want us to help more, post here this file.

second thing :

if the nvidia installer cannot find your kernel source, there are options you can use while running the installer to target the kernel source.

this is useful if you compiled your own kernel.

look also at your kernel version typing uname -a and compare it with kernel source version.

I think you may have updated your kernel via mandrake update... and took the kernel sources on the cdrom... the nvidia installer cheks that the kernel source version matches the runnning kernel version...

if you find a difference, update your kernel source version so that it matches that of your running kernel... and thne try to install nvidia drivers again.

last thing :

the XFree 4.3.0 server provided with mandrake 10.0 isn't among the bests that xfree.org released... it could be a good thing to manually update it with the current 4.4.X version from xfree.org until Mandrake updates its XFree package.

that's all.
Ma-at is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-04, 06:18 AM   #7
chrismortimore

This is probably a stupid suggestion considering you class yourself as a newbie, but download blank kernel source from www.linuxhq.com and compile your own kernel (I have stock kernels). It's something you'll need to learn how to do this anyway, so why not go straight into the deep end.
Old 07-17-04, 06:19 AM   #8
chrismortimore

Oh yeah, and you might need to make a link from your kernel source to /usr/src/linux cause that was one problem I had a while ago. To do that, go to a terminal and type

ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.6 /usr/src/linux

Replace "/usr/src/linux-2.6.6" to where your actual kernel source is, this is where mine is.