Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-07-04, 08:18 PM   #1
blankman

Default Twinview TV-out on laptop

I'm having a little trouble with Twinview and TV-out. When I start X with a TV attached, the display comes up on the TV fine, but nothing appears on the laptop DFP. The laptop display works fine when I don't attach a TV. Any ideas how I can get both displays to work at the same time? My XF86Config is attached. The system is a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop with GeForce4 440 Go, running SUSE 9.1 and the latest version of nvidia driver from downloaded from SUSE's auto-updater. The attached XFree86.0.log is from booting with the TV attached.

Thanks for all your help!
Attached Files
File Type: txt XF86Config.txt (5.4 KB, 137 views)
File Type: txt XFree86.0.log.txt (38.4 KB, 122 views)
blankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-04, 05:52 AM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: Twinview TV-out on laptop

Xfree86 gives some errors that it can't use some of the resolutions on the flatpanel but lets ignore those for the moment as they might be caused by other stuff.

As you already noticed in the config file in case of twinview with a DFP and a TV, the TV becomes the primary display. Because of this the refresh rates in the monitor section need to become those of the TV (vrefresh 60, hsyn 30-50). Further you need also need to provide refresh rates for the DFP (or let the drivers do it).

To not confuse you too much I recommend to use the option HorizSync and VertRefresh. When you use those options the driver ignores the monitor section and further you don't have to use SecondMonitorVertRefresh. (just re-enable the lines)

Also it is a good idea to use the ConnectedMonitor line although it isn't really needed.

After this show the updated logfile.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-04, 01:06 PM   #3
blankman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
Xfree86 gives some errors that it can't use some of the resolutions on the flatpanel but lets ignore those for the moment as they might be caused by other stuff.

To not confuse you too much I recommend to use the option HorizSync and VertRefresh. When you use those options the driver ignores the monitor section and further you don't have to use SecondMonitorVertRefresh. (just re-enable the lines)
Okay, I messed around with the HorizSync and VertRefresh, no dice. Then I decided to change the resolution for the flatpanel to 1280x1024 (one of the ones that Xfree86 said it Could use) and for some reason that made both displays work. So what could be causing Xfree86 to only be able to use certain resolutions?

Thanks again.
Old 08-08-04, 01:44 PM   #4
blankman

Never mind, I got it working. I had to actually use SecondMonitorHorizSync and SecondMonitorVertRefresh. For some reason it wouldn't take the numbers I gave through normal HorizSync and VertRefresh, it was using defaults instead and causing most of the resolutions to not work.

Thanks for your help.