Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-18-04, 06:51 PM   #1
rabbitrun

Default bizarre monitor failures

Hello,

My workstation seems to be destroying my monitors. A couple of months ago I bought a custom-built workstation with dual AMD Opteron 242 64-bit processors, the nvidia quadro fx 1100, Iwill DK8X motherboard, and Linux Enterprise WS 3.0. I originally bought a Viewsonic 22-inch p220f (CRT) monitor, which I returned because of poor focus. I replaced this with a
Cornerstone p1750 (another 22-inch Diamondtron) from MonitorsDirect.com, which I returned because it too had bad focus and also developed black vertical lines running down the lower half of the screen. MonitorsDirect then sent me a replacement monitor -- a second Cornerstone p1750.

This is where things started getting weird. One rainy day after one week of use, the replacement Cornerstone just blew out -- what they call "pop and smoke" or "puff and smoke"? It happened as I was shutting down the computer -- crazy patterns on the screen followed by a very bad burning smell, after which the monitor couldn't produce a picture anymore.

I thought I was just having bad luck with monitors. I called MonitorsDirect and they express shipped me a new monitor -- this time I chose a different model, the NEC Multisync FP2141SB. It was a beautiful monitor, which I found much sharper than the Cornerstone even though it's supposed to be the same tube. Anyway, I was happy with this monitor for about 2 weeks when, on another rainy day last week - lo and behold - this monitor started blacking out randomly. After the monitor is on for about 10 minutes, I start losing the picture at random intervals -- at first it blacks out not so frequently, maybe a couple of times a minute, each time for a second or two; but then the longer the monitor is on the more frequently it blacks out and the longer it stays black. It quickly gets to the point where the picture is off more than it is on. The tube itself is not turning off (you don't hear that crackly sound of the monitor powering down). Sometimes it cuts abruptly to black, and other times there is some warning, in the form of a slight darkening beforehand.

I tested the monitor with another computer and had the same problem with it, so the monitor really is damaged (it's not just the computer). On the other hand, I tested my computer with a friend's monitor and this problem did not occur.

I called MonitorsDirect and they believe (and I also suspect) that two ruined monitors in a row is too much of a coincidence, and that the operating system or the graphics card must be doing something to the monitors to make them fail. In both cases it happened after about 2 weeks of use.

The strangest thing of all is, both monitors failed on rainy days, and get this: with the current monitor, the blacking out problem is much less severe on days when it isn't raining or humid. The computer is not near an open window.

I'm thinking maybe the operating system is causing some damage that makes the monitor more susceptible to humidity. XF86Config has recommended settings for the monitor. Below is nvidia driver version and other card info.

DRIVER VERSION:
NVRM version: NVIDIA Linux x86 NVIDIA Kernel Module 1.0-5336
Wed Jan 14 18:29:26 PST 2004
GCC version: gcc version 3.2.3 20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-24)

CARD CAPABILITIES:
Host Bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-8151 System Controller
Fast Writes: Supported
SBA: Supported
AGP Rates: 8x 4x
Registers: 0x1f000b7b:0x00000b22

CARD STATUS
Driver: AGPGART
AGP Rate: 8x
Fast Writes: Disabled
SBA: Enabled

Can anyone recommend a course of action? Should I update the nvidia driver (I just found out a new version is now available)? How can I isolate the source of the problem? Is it the driver, some other part of the OS, or maybe the card itself causing the damage?????

Thanks for reading and for any advice you can offer.

Michael Berger
rabbitrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-04, 08:04 PM   #2
chrismortimore

Default Re: bizarre monitor failures

Are you setting the refresh rates for the monitor properly? Try to use values given in the monitor's manual rather than EDID values, sometimes the EDID data is wrong. Manuals very rarely get the specs wrong.
Old 07-18-04, 10:45 PM   #3
rabbitrun

I looked up the refresh rates in the manual, and the values I have in the XF86Config file are correct (30.0 - 140.0 horizontal and 50.0 - 160.0 vertical).
Old 07-19-04, 12:27 AM   #4
whig
550Ti

Doesn't the refresh rate come down as resolution goes up? The 160 is probably at a low resolution, so what were your resolution and refresh settings?
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-04, 10:43 AM   #5
rabbitrun

Resolution is set to 1600x1200, which according to the manual is supported between 50 and 109 Hz. At this resolution, the on-screen menu reports a refresh rate of 85 Hz.

In my XF86Config file (attached), I used the refresh range 50 - 160 Hz, which I got by probing the monitor. In the manual, this is given as the maximum range and as you say, it is the refresh range for the LOWEST resolution (640x480). I was under the impression that since the monitor sets the refresh rate automatically based on the resolution (in this case, to 85 Hz), it wasn't necessary to edit the refresh range for higher resolutions. Was I wrong? Is this the problem????
Old 07-19-04, 10:48 AM   #6
rabbitrun

woops. Here is the attached XF86Config
Attached Files
File Type: txt XF86Config.txt (3.6 KB, 148 views)
Old 07-20-04, 11:22 AM   #7
chrismortimore

Hmmm... I don't see anything obviously wrong with the config file.. I don't know what the "Display Size" setting does, I've never needed it so try commenting it out.

Also, use modelines instead of refresh rates, they are generally better. Google for "modeline generator" and you should find the website that can make modelines.

Try the latest drivers, and look around for a new video card BIOS as well, it might help.

If you still end up destroying monitors, it may be a graphics card problem, and you should seek a replacement.
Old 07-20-04, 12:48 PM   #8
rabbitrun

Thanks for your suggestions, chris. I will try.
Someone else has suggested the culprit may be faulty electrical wiring in the house or in the outlet. But I have my laptop and tower plugged into the same outlet (same surge protector), and they are fine....

Too many possibilities. I need to narrow it down and figure out what happened so it doesn't happen to the next monitor.

Old 07-20-04, 10:43 PM   #9
sinan

Are the monitor and Computer on the same Circuit( controlled by the same Circuit Breaker)? Can you put the monitor on a GFCI ? If GFCI triggers, you may have a problem. A laptop is not a good indicator(single plug).
sinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-04, 12:52 AM   #10
whig
550Ti

If you are using straight VGA try a DVI monitor (or vice-versa). Not that everyone has one lying around of course.
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-04, 11:21 AM   #11
rabbitrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinan
Are the monitor and Computer on the same Circuit( controlled by the same Circuit Breaker)? Can you put the monitor on a GFCI ? If GFCI triggers, you may have a problem. A laptop is not a good indicator(single plug).
Computer and monitor are on the same outlet. We don't have a GFCI. I will try the monitor on a different circuit though.