Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-24-02, 09:29 PM   #1
Luis Q. R.

Default Trouble when logging out in Debian.

I have installed Debian Woody one day ago and there's only one problem I need to solve, though I don't want to stop using this great OS.

After installing Nvidia drivers, everything works fine until I log out. Then the screen turns black and won't let me see the system console.

The system does not crash, cause I can type commands and execute them though I cannot see them. But I often work using commands without using the desktop and I want to see what I'm typing.

Hell, I'm in love with apt-get, I don't want to search rpm dependencies again.
Old 10-24-02, 10:55 PM   #2
bwkaz

Is your kernel configured to use rivafb? Or maybe I should ask first, is your kernel set to use a framebuffer device on the console? If so, is it using rivafb, or VESA VGA? rivafb won't work, but vesa does (at least here on LFS, Mandrake, and a couple other distros).
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-02, 01:15 AM   #3
Luis Q. R.

When I compiled the kernel, I did not include framebuffer support. And I don't remember any option about rivafb.

This doesn't make sense, when I boot the system I see my bash prompt. It is when I log out of the desktop when the screen turns black and I can not see it.
Old 10-25-02, 08:13 AM   #4
pinna

Lightbulb try using reset

this is not a solution, but maybe it can help you.
I get sometimes the same problem with debian/xfree4.2/kde/geforce2mx400.

try using reset at the console prompt, I found it works.

# reset [ENTER]