Old 03-17-06, 12:16 PM   #1453
Ka0s

Default Re: GeForce 6800 and random freezes

Well i cannot afford the 7800GS that is why im looking at the 6800GS
Ka0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-06, 11:12 AM   #1454
d2thez

It has been ages and I don't have this combo or problem any more, but I may have stumbled across some info and solution. Looking through the release notes of the 91.45 drivers I found this:

AGP and PCI-E Programs May Hang With AMD K7 and
K8 Processors
• Issue
Microsoft® Windows® 2000 and Windows XP systems using AMD K7 and
K8 processors can hang when an AGP or PCI-E program is used.
• Root Cause
There is a known problem with Microsoft® Windows® 2000 and Windows
XP systems using AMD K7 and K8 CPUs that results in the Microsoft
operating system allocating overlapping 4M cached pages with 4k writecombined
pages. This condition results in undefined behavior and data
corruption, and is explicitly disallowed by the AMD CPU manual.
This problem can affect any device driver in the system that allocates writecombined
system memory, but is usually most easily reproduced with
graphics drivers since graphics drivers generally make heavy use of writecombined
system memory for performance reasons.
• Resolution
Microsoft has a knowledge base article on the issue, the text of which is
unfortunately quite outdated. While the article only mentions Windows
2000, AGP, and K7, both the root cause and resolution also apply to
Windows 2000 or WindowsXP, AGP or PCI-E, and AMD K7 or K8. The
article can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/?id=270715.
The issue is resolved by applying an operating system registry key as
described in the referenced article that instructs the Microsoft operating
system to not use the 4M pages, thus avoiding the conflict.
The registry key is automatically applied by installation of the latest NVIDIA
nForce platform driver package (including 4.57 SMBUS or later). It is
imperative for the package to be installed or for the registry key to be applied
before the NVIDIA graphics driver or any other device drivers are installed.
The registry key takes effect only after an operating system reboot.

I think it is worth a try to all of you still experiencing this combo and problem!!
d2thez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-06, 03:07 PM   #1455
Treason
nVidia GeForce FX 5600 U

Wow, nVidia may have found the problem. I'm still on a 3200+ Winchester and 6800GT AGP.
Treason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-06, 09:34 PM   #1456
Sex_packets

with the new 91.45 the problem is completely gone.
Sex_packets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-06, 06:55 PM   #1457
Azadaleou

I wrote the BBB about this problem back last sept. After months of talks with Nvidia around Jan 2006 they replaced my nforce3 and geforce 6800 with a Nforce4 sli and Geforce 6800 gs. I was one happy panda^___^.
Azadaleou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 03:43 PM   #1458
Dismal

Damn, I was problem free for a LONG time. I was running on the 84.21 drivers with no problems. Very recently, though, my MSI K8N Neo Platinum crapped out on me. I had to find a replacement. I stupidly thought "what the hell, the nVidia nForce3 / 6800 DirectX studdering problem is long gone. A thing of the past. I'll just get another nForce 3 board". Big mistake. I bought an Asus K8N-E motherboard with the nForce3 250GB chipset. I loaded up the same graphics drivers I was having good luck with before, thinking the studdering problem was always a driver issue that nVidia has resolved.

Long story short, the problem's back. I'm running the latest chipset & video drivers (but my "rock solid" 84.21 drivers didn't do any good either). I also just updated to the latest BIOS. DirectX games are now unplayable again. Damn. I should have bought a different chipset. What the hell causes this problem, though? It can't be drivers. I'm running the exact same setup before, software and driver-wise. My motherboard's just by a different manufacturer now. Same chipset.

Update: Just tried a fresh install of XP SP2 with all new drivers... still studders. It boggles my mind as to why this problem still exists on some boards.

Yet another update: I believe I'm in the clear again. I read somewhere in this thread that even though you disable fastwrites in the bios (which I did on the new board), they still can be enabled within the drivers. That was news to me. I downloaded RivaTuner again, disabled its LockDangerSettings value so I could edit the AGP stuff, forced fastwrites to off (the status in RivaTuner said they were on) and rebooted. Did some testing in Call of Duty 2 and FEAR: Extraction Point. No Studdering! Thank God I didn't have to buy 2 motherboards for the same system within a 2 week time span. I suppose I could have just as easily edited this post and removed all traces of these ramblings, but I'll leave it up in the off chance that someone stumbles through here with the same problem I was having. Woo!

Last edited by Dismal; 11-07-06 at 09:12 PM.
Dismal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 06:20 AM   #1459
dddirk

My GeForce 6800 gt is having large amounts of artifacts and snow, with random full system shutdowns and stuttering. My graphics card is running at 106c at all times even with proper fans. I've got the card set at 256 apprature (which I believe to be normal for my card and dropping the apprature to 64 didnt seem to do anything). I bought this computer second hand from a friend and it was over clocked when I got it.
I have reset my bios to default settings and formated my computer yet I'm still having the same problem, and I cant seem to get the temprature down.
What is a normal temp for my card to be running at?
Is there any possibilities that this thing is still over clocked? how could I tell.
any ideas? I'm unable to even run games from 2002 on lowest settings without my system rebooting. Any help would be amazing.
I'm desperate here.
dddirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-08, 06:42 PM   #1460
Blakhart

Hi
I would run riva and see if it shows the card as being oc'd. Then I would find out how it is being oc'd, either by driver or vid card bios hack. If it runs too long at too high a temp permanent damage may occurr. The card may be bad.
Blakhart is offline   Reply With Quote