Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-28-04, 02:58 PM   #169
radial
covert op

Default Re: GeForce 6800 and random freezes

Dude I hear you. Could not agree more. Spending that much on a freaking gfx card is ridiculous in the first place.
radial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-04, 08:32 PM   #170
ubersoldat

I suggest either sending it back if you have a warranty, get it RMA'ed, or just sit there playing games with freezing galore, making it a waste of money.
ubersoldat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-04, 08:43 PM   #171
TheHelpful1

Newegg's policy for this ultra is return for same item only.

I'm not quite sure how they're gonna do that now since i dont see the EVGA ultra on their site period.
TheHelpful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-04, 08:52 PM   #172
Auswak
www.EVGA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelpful1
Sadly, Newegg doesnt even have the EVGA 6800 ultra listed on their website. In addition to that, newegg said on the invoice, For Problems, Please Contact EVGA

Have you downloade the latest 6800 Ultra Bios from eVGA ?

Have you downloaded the latest 65.73WHQL Drivers ?

Quit panicking about your temperatures.
These cards run that high. I have seen 90°C with some peoples cards and no problems.

As far as RMA, it is Printed at 2 Places on the BOX your card came in from eVGA that any problems with your card to contact eVGA and it also gives you the phone number to call. It also states that do not return your card to the Vendor, return it to eVGA.

So whats the problem, you have every opportunity to have things fixed.

Intel QX6850 @ 3.6GHz||EVGA 780i SLI (NF78)||2 x EVGA 8800GT 512MB||2GB OCZ 1066 SLI DDR2 ||TT ToughPower 750W||Liteon 20xDL Sata DVD/RW||2 x WD 250GB Sata||Viewsonic 23" VP230mb||Vista Ultimate
Auswak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-04, 09:55 PM   #173
TheHelpful1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auswak
Have you downloade the latest 6800 Ultra Bios from eVGA ?

Looking around for a floppy-free bios update utility as i ditched my floppy a while ago.

Quote:
Have you downloaded the latest 65.73WHQL Drivers ?
Quote:
Yes and recently rolled back to older 61.76 drivers just to test them

Quote:
Quit panicking about your temperatures.
These cards run that high. I have seen 90°C with some peoples cards and no problems.
If mine ran to 120*C with no problems, i wouldn't give it a second thought, but thats just IT, I am having problems. I can't run the RTHDRIBL demo for more than a few seconds before my computer locks up.

Quote:
As far as RMA, it is Printed at 2 Places on the BOX your card came in from eVGA that any problems with your card to contact eVGA and it also gives you the phone number to call. It also states that do not return your card to the Vendor, return it to eVGA.
And I have done that and am currently waiting their reply as to what steps I should take.

Quote:
My problem is i just paid over $500 for this card and it's crapping out right out of the box.

And this may just be my assumption from your post, but don't talk down to me regarding this. I've been building my own computer systems far too long to have some forum poster talk down to me like I'm some kind of
Old 08-28-04, 10:19 PM   #174
ubersoldat

PNY told me most gfx card companys will void your warranty if you update the graphics bios. Beware!!!
ubersoldat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-04, 10:33 PM   #175
TheHelpful1

Just read that in the FAQ on EVGA too.
http://member.evga.com/support/Kb/article.asp?aid=378
Quote:
"Topic :Where can I download Video/VGA BIOS so that I may flash my video card?
Article : At the moment, we do not offer a video BIOS for download. eVGA.com will not be responsible for incorrectly flashed video BIOS as it will void manufacture warranty."
Most likely wouldn't help. I did some searching and the only place I found hosting EVGA bios Period is:
http://www.mvktech.net/download.php?view.548

And that's the same BIOS I'm running.

An interesting note is I also found my Ultra is sharing the same PCI IRQ as my USB 2.0 card (connected to motherboard pins).

Time to do some tweaking.

Edit: Can't reassign IRQ in XP. Well the device manager isn't giving any conflicts so I'm just going to leave it as is. On a sidenote, i ran 3dmark03 again without the game tests (just cpu) and my GPU actually hit critical this time. It reached 115* and shut itself down. This was WITH the 65.73 WHQL drivers.

Last edited by TheHelpful1; 08-29-04 at 12:24 AM.
Old 08-29-04, 03:24 AM   #176
Auswak
www.EVGA.com

Quote:
And this may just be my assumption from your post, but don't talk down to me regarding this. I've been building my own computer systems far too long to have some forum poster talk down to me like I'm some kind of
Yes you did make the wrong assumption, as I can not see where you thought I was talking down to you.

I can see how maybe the following may have upset you
Quote:
This was only said because you, gave no indication that you had already contacted eVGA about the problem and you had no problem in posting negatively about the card based on temps with a 3rd patry program which are perfectly normal
Quote:
RMA? Or is this the crapiest cooling solution ever?
I am not here to start an argument or put you down. I will set someone straight if they make a misinformed comment, as will many others.

Quote:
I can't run the RTHDRIBL demo for more than a few seconds before my computer locks up.
This is new information also, because a previous post you said you had run the program but exited once it hit 76°C.

The fact that you also are unable to install the New Bios for the 6800Ultra is part of your problem as it has been a fix for many people. All I can suggest here is to somehow get the card into another computer to flash the BIOS.

For You and the other Posters that could not find the eVGA Ultra Bios
eVGA 6800 Ultra Bios Download Page
note you will need to have your serial number handy.
(It can conveniently be found in the Forums and 6800Ultra product pages)
The New Bios also has the same Bois version, but to verify you have installed it correctly you should have 2D/3D Core speeds matching at 425MHz.

After just noticing your edit about Your card hitting 115°C from 3DMark03
Something is definately not right there and I suggest you no longer use the card at all.

As far as waiting for eVGA, I do advise you submit the RMA Request online
eVGA Online RMA this also has all the instructions for you to follow.

Intel QX6850 @ 3.6GHz||EVGA 780i SLI (NF78)||2 x EVGA 8800GT 512MB||2GB OCZ 1066 SLI DDR2 ||TT ToughPower 750W||Liteon 20xDL Sata DVD/RW||2 x WD 250GB Sata||Viewsonic 23" VP230mb||Vista Ultimate

Old 08-29-04, 02:42 PM   #177
TheHelpful1

Quote:
Yes you did make the wrong assumption, as I can not see where you thought I was talking down to you.
My sincere apologies then. I know we are all here to help each other but this card is getting on my nevers.

Taking this into account...
Quote:
The fact that you also are unable to install the New Bios for the 6800Ultra is part of your problem as it has been a fix for many people. All I can suggest here is to somehow get the card into another computer to flash the BIOS.
And this...
Quote:
After just noticing your edit about Your card hitting 115°C from 3DMark03
Something is definately not right there and I suggest you no longer use the card at all.
And this...
Quote:
As far as waiting for eVGA, I do advise you submit the RMA Request online
eVGA Online RMA this also has all the instructions for you to follow.
Should I:
A.) Try the BIOS flash (after digging through some old boxes i found a floppy)
B.) Wait for EVGA response
C.) RMA it now

This card runs 61*C at idle and 2d apps with no problems and the only spare Gcard I have is a geforce 2. I could take my previous 5900 out of another computer but since that monitor is DVI only, it would basically cripple it. Two DVI adapters on an RGB cable won't cut it.
Old 08-29-04, 03:00 PM   #178
P1x44r
The Eye

Auswak, do you work for eVGA?
AMD FX-55 -|- Thermaltake Venus 12 -|- Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP-939 (BIOS F4) -|- 2 x 512MB OCZ DDR PC-3700 EB -|- ATI Radeon X800 XT PE -|- 2 x 74GB WD Raptor RAID 0 -|- 200GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 -|- Creative Audigy 2 -|- OCZ PowerStream 520W PSU -|- NEC ND-3500A BK DVD+/-RW -|- Cooler Master Stacker -|- 21" Sony G520P CRT -|- Creative GigaWorks S700 -|- Logitech® Cordless MX Duo -|- Windows XP Professional SP1a
P1x44r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-04, 03:21 PM   #179
Auswak
www.EVGA.com

A) Try the Bios Flash.

Old 08-29-04, 03:22 PM   #180
Auswak
www.EVGA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidJazz
Auswak, do you work for eVGA?

No