Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-01-04, 06:57 PM   #217
Pandora's Box

Send a message via AIM to Pandora's Box Send a message via MSN to Pandora's Box
Default Re: GeForce 6800 and random freezes

i havent ran into any of this freezing yet. leadtek 6800 gt at 415 1.1
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe 2.00 | AMD Athlon XP 2700+ | 1.5GB DDR333 RAM | OCZ PowerStream 520Watt | eVGA GeForce 6800 GT 256MB Zalman VF700 CU | Western Digital 120GB 8MB Cache 7200 RPM | Western Digital 60GB 2MB Cache 7200 RPM | Athenatech A602 Case | Linksys WMP54GS SpeedBooster Wireless Card
Pandora's Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-04, 11:14 PM   #218
TheHelpful1

eVGA responed and asked if i had another computer to test it in.

They sure are beating around the bush and not trying to replace a bad card.

Do I have to wait for them to say "setting up an RMA" or Do i just go ahead and set that up myself?

Edit: Went to eVGA's website...

Quote:
If you did not purchase this product directly from eVGA.com, you must first try to contact your vendor for a replacement. If this is not possible, you may request a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA), but all requests will be subject to the following terms:

Customers may be required to pay for associated shipping costs (including shipping the defective product to eVGA.com and return shipping for the replacement product).

eVGA.com does not offer any form of cross-shipping.

All RMA returns must be handled via shipping. eVGA.com does not allow for any products to be dropped off.

eVGA.com reserves the right to decline any application for an RMA number.
Well Crap!

Last edited by TheHelpful1; 09-01-04 at 11:28 PM.
TheHelpful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-04, 12:45 AM   #219
Gorion
Papahs Pleez

I have a 6800U Evga. I had problems with freezes in PainKiller and vid probs with FarCry. I did all the regular suggestions. Nothing Helped.

I took the heatsinks off of my MEMORY and removed those cheap thermal Pads and put AS5 on the mem chips. I did not touch the core.

No more freezing probem solved. It wasn'r clock speeds, I didn't need a new bios. Fast writes didn't matter. The freakin mem was over heating. Those thermal pads are junk. Either RMA or bite the bullet like I did and fix your cooling.
Old 09-02-04, 01:20 AM   #220
TheHelpful1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorion
Either RMA or bite the bullet like I did and fix your cooling..

I'm no stranger to PC innards, but the last HSF i took off a video card was a geforce 3 (never had to since then).

Gorion, exactly how much trouble was it to take off your stuff. And by trouble, how much evidence is there that you did what you did, besides thermal pad replace with a paste.

I highly suspect that IS the cause of my overheating, but if it's not, I don't want eVGA to say go screw myself and invalidate my warranty.
Old 09-02-04, 06:05 PM   #221
ubersoldat

Hmmmm, what is the thermal plating. Can you explain what it looks like and where on the Ram it is?
ubersoldat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-04, 07:20 PM   #222
TheHelpful1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorion
I took the heatsinks off of my MEMORY and removed those cheap thermal Pads and put AS5 on the mem chips. I did not touch the core.
thermal pads.

Artic Silver 5

12718 3dmark03 score at stock speeds.

Sad that a super card has such crap thermal solution, but hey, As well that ends well.
Old 09-02-04, 07:31 PM   #223
TheHelpful1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubersoldat
Hmmmm, what is the thermal plating. Can you explain what it looks like and where on the Ram it is?
Use my vague instructions at your own risk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehelpful1
Unscrew all the black and silver screws from the backside of the card and the HS should lift off. The Heatsink on the CORE has its own screws so unless you WANT to squirt some AC5 in there too, like i did, don't worry about that popping off, it won't (eVGA atleast).

After it lifts off you should see 6 or 7 thermal pads most likely stuck to the heatsink.

Scrape these off the HS, wipe with some alcohol and DRY. I used a cotton swab damp with alcohol (not beer mind you) and also swabbed the memory tops themselves.

Squirt some AC5 (top of the line IMO) and smooth it out to an even layer and reseat everything.
My core idle temps when from 63* down to 51* with Gainward's ExpertTool keeping the fans at a constant 50%. Of course i set it to dynmaic when i loaded 3dmark.

Now I leave this to others to correct or add to, according to various card makes.

One sidenote, Ubersoldat, I don't know your hardware experience but if you've never installed a second hard drive, then I would take extreme caution in doing this or just not do it all all. There's the potential to seriously screw up your card and if they inspect any parts of it they may just void your warranty.
Old 09-02-04, 11:43 PM   #224
Gorion
Papahs Pleez

The heatsink on the mem is a piece of cake to take off. the only way you can tell I messed with it is the lack of thermal pads. They should call them thermal blankets instead of pads. I think they actually hold the heat in

The instructions above are perfect. But you should know your warranty will be toast so do this at your own risk. But it is easy. Don't over tighten when you re-assemble and be sure there is on light between the chips and the heatsink and you should be fine. I just use an old credit card to put a smooth thin and even layer of AS5 on the chip and you should get a good contact. Worked for me I now have zero issues playing Doom3, farcry, painkiller, and Neverwinter. and I'm playing doom3 at 1280X1024 with 4xaa and Ultra quality. No stutters no tears no crashes. and running 61.77 drivers.

Old 09-03-04, 07:45 AM   #225
salehz

Angry Re: GeForce 6800 and random freezes

Hi there all,

I am new to this forum and would just like to say I am experiencing very wierd issues with my Gainward Ultra/2600 PowerPack Golden Sample Geforce 6800 Ultra.

Firstly My PC specs :

Athlon64 3200+ @ default 2.2GHz
ASUS K8V-SE Deluxe Motherboard
2 x 512Mb Kingston HyperX PC3700 (466MHz DDR ) @ 400MHz
Gainward Geforce 6800 Ultra Golden Sample ( 430MHz GPU/ 1200MHz Memory)
2 x 74Gb Western Digital Raptors in RAID 0 array
Plextor Premium 52/32/52 CD/RW
ASUS 16X DVD-Drive
Enermax 465W PSU with 33A on the 12V rail
GigaByte 3D CPU Cooler

The problem experienced with the card is "stuttering/jittering frame rates" which appear to occur in the following games with the following effects enabled :

1. Toca Pro Race Driver 2 (Lens flares effects enabled)
2. Colin McRae Rally from versions 3 to the demo of Colin McRae 5 (Lens flare effects enabled)
3. RalliSport Challenge (Lens flares effects enabled)
4. Xpand Rally Demo
5. Need for Speed Underground (No matter what settings)

As you can see it seems to be in driving games whenever lens-flare effects are used. I switched off these effects to check it was this and the stuttering went away.

I am very suspicious that this is a driver issue as this does not happen with games like Far Cry & Doom 3 and both 3DMark 2001 & 2003 work fine with no stutters.

I have tried the following things to remedy the problem :

1. Gone through every Nvidia driver available on Guru3D site offficial & Beta
2. Tried the card in 2 other different spec PC's one of which was an AthlonXP 3200+ on an Nforce 2 Ultra ASUS motherboard with 512Mb mathed Corsair PC3200 memory / the other a P4 3.2GHz 800FSB on an MSI 865PE with 512Mb mathed Corsair PC3200 memory.
3. Fast-Writes On & Off (through BIOS & RivaTuner)
4. Fresh installations of both Windows 2000 and XP with latest drivers and service packs and BIOSes. I even tried not installing the sound to see if that was it.
5. Flashed the card with latest BIOS from Gainward .. no good .. other manufacturers BIOSes didn't Help either.
6. Last night I thought to hell with it and tried what one of your posts suggested and tightened the screws on the heatsink of the card. they were indeed loose but after tightening them the problem was still there. The temperature of the card did go down though.

As you can see I am at my witts end and I now what I'm doing.

None of this happens when I have my Sapphire 9800 Pro in any of the above mentioned rigs with any of the above games.

Does anyone own any of the above mentioned games & a Geforce 6800 that can test and see if they experience the same problem with these games. If so it must be a driver issue and if so are NVidia aware of it..

PLEASE HEEEEEELLLLLPPPP!!!!!!
salehz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-04, 03:34 AM   #226
bertybenno

sale hz/i do have the sparkle gt card my biggest problem is with undergroung the first lap i willl get up to 10-15 1/2secondpauses freezes same with allmost all the games i have installed my last card a 9800pro was silky smooth compared to this ive spent hours trying to fix this problem and yet to find a solution .
bertybenno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-04, 12:47 PM   #227
N8PIZZUTO

Force the refresh rate in the game to 60hz this seems to fix weird game freezes the refresh rate in 3D mode needs to be like 60 hz. 2D or in windows can be higher.Try it!
N8PIZZUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-04, 04:27 PM   #228
Jazzy jeff

I have had this same problem with my pny 6800 gt and I have tried absolutely everything with no success. i.e. fastwrites, 2d/3d, bios flash, every driver imaginable, bios settings and every other setting. The only thing that helped was setting my agp speed to 4x (from 8x) and so far all has been smooth sailing.

P4 3.0
Abit IC7
1 gig corsair pc3200
Jazzy jeff is offline   Reply With Quote