Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-08-05, 07:39 AM   #637
Ancient1

Send a message via ICQ to Ancient1
Default Re: GeForce 6800 and random freezes

My answer is much simpler :

The simplest answer is usually THE answer.
It's a fact that there seems to be no ONE solution, but there's a common denominator.
All agree that it relates to D3D.

My answer is thus :
The culprit is nVidia screening procedure design.
The fact that NF3 is related to the problem hints to a flaw within nvidia designs !.
I think some D3D procedures are implemented in a way that consumes lots of power, and nVidia fail to detect the weak GPUs ( which end up as GT instead of Ultra , or even lame plain 6800).

So, some faulty GPUs crash with D3D, sometimes the user can solve the problem with the known solutions (slow the procedures down by disabling fastwrites , up the 3D voltage, disable Voltage throttling etc.) and sometime, most likely with NF3 , he can't.
Ancient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 07:48 AM   #638
Ancient1

Need a favor from America PNY 6800GT owner

I legitimatly bought a 6800GT at eBay but don't have a buyer reciept which is required for replacement (if it comes to that, god forbid). That will happen with Europe branch , which is a different beurocratic system (due to laws) .

Is there a kind soul in the Americas , who is willing to email me a SCAN of his (1st buyer's) reciept (only reseller , date , model are needed) ?

I was in email contact with EU branch and can provide all the emails to show that indeed no risk is involved.

Thanx !
Old 02-13-05, 06:55 PM   #639
newgf6k8

Hello everyone,

I did open a thread over on the nvidia forums describing similiar problems you here have.
In short for those who don't want to read the entire other thread - like you all I'm experiencing those 5-10 seconds "random temporary" freezes in Direct3D games (though I like to call them system freezes - since the sound output loops and the numlock key's not responding).
Additionally to that my rig blue-screens after a random time in Doom3, leaving me with a STOP 0x0000007f (0x00000008, 0x80042000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). Testing earlier driver versions like 67.66 gave me a 0x1000007f (0x00000008, 0x80042000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) STOP error though.

I also tried various other driver versions but they dont do the trick, furthermore I found various other things broken in these (66.93,67.66,71.24,71.,25) like refresh rate override or blank screen with video-playback in media player classic, so I'm currently staying with 71.80.

The ways I walked on to remedy those problems are like those other users in this thread went, like setting different AGP sizes, setting AGP to 4x, turning Fast-Writes off, using the PCI-latency tool to set the AGP latency to 64 instead of 248 (with smoothed things out a little BTW), increasing AGP voltage - also RAM voltage, openthecaseandblowthecrapoutofit with a 25cm household fan (during winter -8C outside),....

I also cannot confirm that these issues are nforce3 MB related since I'm using a nforce2 MB - see below for system specs.
Stress-testing of the RAM/CPU components to reveal any heat-issues (using prime95 for some hrs) wasnt successful.

Sorry for the long posting and let's hope some salvation occurs soon.

Sys specs (everythings on factory settings, nothing's been overclocked ever):
Enermax 525W PSU (24A on 12V rail)
Asus A7N8X-X (AMP XP2400, 2x256MB Infineon, FSB133/DDR266)
Asus V9999/TD (GeForce6800)
Creative Audigy Platinum eX
Intel pro1000MT
2x 120GB WD p-ata
newgf6k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 04:46 AM   #640
Ancient1

newgf6k8

I can't post on Nvidia Forums, so you should instead :P

The most likely solution is VoltModded BIOS

Get BIOS and TOOLs from http://www.mvktech.net

there are 2 things to try :
1. Increase 3D voltage.
2. Eliminate any voltage changes between 2D and 3D i.e make them equeal exactly (there's a post here describing that in detail).

Do 1. and than, if needed 2. (i.e increase and equalize to 3D's)

Good Luck

BTW I had this problems on NF7-S NF2 mobo. Couldn't play HL2. I voltmodded and it was OK, but now I started having some wierd bootup issues like PC needs to warm up and sometimes with video corruption. I don't have purchase reciept needed for warranty ...
mummmy !
Old 02-17-05, 10:13 PM   #641
uncoolfish

I have an unlocked BFG 6800 OC with an nforce3 chipset. I had the problem, then I followed the advice to set the pre-render to 0, and that seemed to have fixed my problem.
uncoolfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 01:47 PM   #642
Athena
spirit filled

I just have to say since I got my 6800 it has been now it freezes now it does not. Often when I do not do any thing. And as soon as I think I got it licked, another game comes out or even nothing changes and the freezing comes back. This last time was the Guild Wars beta, I had the freezing problem and the PC hard crashed/reboot itself 3 times as well. Now my guess is that it was the game doing this but the other issue I had is when I check the temp of the video card after the crashs it never gets too 60 degrees C. Never. And my old BFG5900 ran 90 degrees C nearly all the time. Is the temp sensor on my 6800 bad?
Old 02-22-05, 03:30 PM   #643
Hooton[AMD64]

Send a message via AIM to Hooton[AMD64] Send a message via MSN to Hooton[AMD64] Send a message via Yahoo to Hooton[AMD64]

I know there is an issue with the OC cards. This can be fixed by setting the clock frequencies for 2d and 3d mode to the same value. for example if you have a 400 MHz clock for 2d and a 425 MHz clock for the 3d, like the Geforce Ultra OC cards have, bring the 2d clock upto 425 MHz. This should stop the freezing. You can add the clock frequency settings via the registry. Click on "Start", the "run" and type "Regedit" then hit the enter key. Double Click on "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE". Double Click "Software". Double Click "NVIDIA Corporation". Double click "NVTweak". right click on the plain in the right hand side of the window and select "New" then select "DWORD Value" and call it "CoolBits" without the quotes. Give this value a decimal value of "3". after this is done go into your display properties on the Geforce 6800 ultra tab and find "Clock Frequencies". Make sure both the 2d and the 3d clock are the same. Do not overclock past video card specifications if you want your card to remain under warranty. This should fix the freeze issues on games and 3D Studio Max.

Note: Make sure you find out exactly what the factory spec's of your video card is before you make any changes to the clock frequencies.

Last edited by Hooton[AMD64]; 02-23-05 at 01:01 AM.
Hooton[AMD64] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-05, 04:14 PM   #644
theflag

Praise the lord, for i am not the only person with this problem. Anyway, after reading through all the pages, i tried disabling fastwrites, and that just made the 10 second pauses less frequent.

Now i wanna try to set the 2d and 3d clock frequencies the same, but when i installed rivatuner and coolbits, i dont see a seperate setting for 2d and 3d. Its just one setting that doesnt mention 2d or 3d. ANyone know why?

I have a eVGA 6800 Limited Edition 256mb DDR3 256 bit card (basically an underclocked Ultra) at stock speeds and settings. 325mhz core, 1100 mhz memory clock, 16x1, 6vp.
MSI Neo2 Plat, amd64 3500+, and 1Gb ddr 400.

What i also find interesting is that when i had my 6800 in my nf2 system with ddr266 memory, it ran fine with no 10 second lockups. So I tried putting that same ddr266 memory instead of the pc3200, and what do you know, the lockups are gone :\ (dont want to leave slow memory in though).

Has anyone else tried playing with a slower set of memory in?
theflag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-05, 01:41 AM   #645
Acid Rain
What a sweet little...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubersoldat
Although X800 is surely faster in games than the geforce.

So basically, you will notice a big difference between the Geforce 6 and the X800.
Um, solitair doesn't count.

Nforce 2 here. 2 such freezes in HL2.
RAM: 4GB KHX6400D2LLK2
3D Porkware: Radeon HD 4890
Aux Equipment: Phase-B Nanocycloptics
Acid Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-05, 11:46 AM   #646
fstroupe

I have read thru most of the now 43 pages of this thread. I've had no problems with my Apollo 6600GT, but have been researching for a fellow member of OCIA, who has been having problems with his BFG 6800GT OC card, have been to several forums, and this is definitely a widespread problem, with no solution so far. His main problem is stalling on CS and Far Cry.

It just hit me, has anybody considered the possibility of overheating of the AGP/PCI-E interface...the heatsinks on them are definitely not equal between card manufacturers. Sorry if it has previously been mentioned on this thread and I missed it.

Last edited by fstroupe; 02-27-05 at 11:59 AM.
fstroupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 08:48 PM   #647
Seamore Butts
Want Fries With That

Send a message via MSN to Seamore Butts

Hee Hee go my 6800 GE!!!

Seamore Butts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-05, 06:54 PM   #648
newgf6k8

Default Solved: GeForce 6800 and random freezes

After my card went out of order I RMA'd it and got a replacement. Since then all my problems regarding Doom bluescreening or rand.temp.sys.freezes in Direct3D games - esp. Far Cry - are gone.

The new card is bios version wise exactly the same as the old one (v5.40.02.15) the only difference is the GPU temperature which is now 3-4C higher then before (55-56C idle).

So if you have similiar issues -> get a replacement.

@fstroupe
its definitely not a thermal issue; see my posting on the previous page

@Ancient1
a) the BIOS'es available for my Asus V9999/TD are the same version as my old card hard and b) it was just 2weeks old so I RMA'd it rather than doing any warranty voiding thing :)
newgf6k8 is offline   Reply With Quote