Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-10-05, 08:06 PM   #649
Clevor

Default Re: Solved: GeForce 6800 and random freezes

[quote=newgf6k8]So if you have similiar issues -> get a replacement./QUOTE]

So are you saying we should all return our cards to Nvidia for replacement? I can imagine what they will say: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

But seriously, a class action lawsuit is a definite possibility; look what happened to Abit with the bad caps. I mean all it takes is a lawyer who is really into gaming to get p_ssed about this. The law firm that files the suit gets a percentage of all damages, which can add up to a huge amount. And figure how much these video cards cost . . .
Clevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-05, 08:20 PM   #650
newgf6k8

[quote=Clevor]
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgf6k8
So if you have similiar issues -> get a replacement./QUOTE]

So are you saying we should all return our cards to Nvidia for replacement? I can imagine what they will say: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Luckily there's a 2 weeks limit in 'tis country in which you can return any hardware and get immediate replacement (or your money back if its not on stock) - except you've done nasty things to it :)
Oh - and its the dealer who has to fulfill the warranty, not the manufacturer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevor
But seriously, a class action lawsuit is a definite possibility; look what happened to Abit with the bad caps. I mean all it takes is a lawyer who is really into gaming to get p_ssed about this. The law firm that files the suit gets a percentage of all damages, which can add up to a huge amount. And figure how much these video cards cost . . .
Well, I personally wouldnt go that far since it just cost me two phonecalls, two weeks waiting and a drive to the city. On the other hand its OK when some lawyer open a lawsuit - 2x1GB DDR RAM should be enough for compensation - I'm not greedy ;)
newgf6k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-05, 08:30 PM   #651
Clevor

[quote=newgf6k8]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevor
Luckily there's a 2 weeks limit in 'tis country in which you can return any hardware and get immediate replacement (or your money back if its not on stock) - except you've done nasty things to it
Oh - and its the dealer who has to fulfill the warranty, not the manufacturer.
Hmmm, what country is this??? I bet you pay high taxes?

Actually, Nvidia lawyers got it all figured out: if you are overclocking, the case doesn't stand a chance in court. But if you guys are having problems unoverclocked, you definitely do.

Class action suits are a symbiotic relationship: real easy to draw participants. Just contact some address if you are having problems, to file your claim. They send letters to everyone who's bought Nvidia cards.

But you gotta figure Nvidia has pretty expensive lawyers. Better get those Michael Jackson lawyers on your side, heh.
Old 03-11-05, 10:57 PM   #652
ubersoldat

Default Re: GeForce 6800 and random freezes

Ever since I got the new patch for the graphics card, all of my problems have been void. No problems at all. Upgrade to 75.90 now!

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=999
ubersoldat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-05, 06:39 PM   #653
Negura

^ interesting.

I've been trying to look for details of your freezing problem, but this thread has too many pages already.
Was it the combination of Nforce3 and 6800GT + rising the core clock?
Can anyone confirm if the problem got solved by newer drivers? It this is the case I'll get some Nforce3 motherboard instead of the VIA stuff I got now. (It works fine, except for the Southbridge which is retarded with SATA).
Negura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-05, 05:36 PM   #654
Clevor

I was fooling around last night. Since I have done some changes to my setup, I decided to see if I can overclock my 6800 Ultra on a DFI LanParty UT3, which never worked before. Now I already had a pretty heady setup: 250x10, 2-2-2-10 on a Claw with 2x512 XMS3500 @ 3.12 VDIMM. When I bumped the 3D clock to 456/1182 I found I got lower scores in some benchmarks like 3DMark2005 (throttling?), so I set the 2D clock the same. However OpenGL was fine! Normally I'd get lockups within one minute in the Doom3, IL-2, or SS2nd Encounter demos (set to OpenGL).

However in D3D, I'd get weird locks that would come back to life. Sometimes it locked permanently. I then set FASTWRITES to off in the BIOS. Amazingly, no more issues. UT2003, CodeCreatures no problem. The ultimate test: IL-2 demo set to D3D and ran for 30' - rock smooth. I ran everything at 1600x1200x32, 4xFSAA, 16xAniso to stress the system. In the UT2003 bench, I got something like 156/106 fps at these settings. I got 44 fps in the Doom3 demo set to Ultra detail! Of course, no issues with all four Marks and Aquamark. The rig is rock stable as PCMark2004 Pro passed fine (got 8567 on the graphics score!).

So right now I have the Ultra running 454/1182 on a S754 NF3 board with no lockups or issues whatsoever. Only changes are I installed an OCZ 430W Powerstream with just the one dedicated video cable hooked up to both plugs on the Ultra. A no-no right? Works fine here. I also installed the latest 71.84 drivers. That's it. Before, setting same 2D/3D clocks or disabling FW did no good.

I upgraded from a Sparkle 400W but I don't think that was the problem as previously, I had no problems overclocking the Ultra on anything other than an NF3 board.

Tonight, I go for more overclock on the Ultra. Previously it maxed at 459/1190, but with this newfound renaissance, I might get higher .
300x10 at default VCORE (1.36 volts)
2x512MB GSkill FF at 2.5-3-3-7 (2.8 VDIMM)
X850XT PE at default clock
Corsair HC200

SuperPI 32M=24'14"
SuperPI 1M=27.187"
Old 03-17-05, 07:58 PM   #655
ubersoldat

Ok, please try the Update NOW! Before you do something drastic. So far ALL my problems are gone. Please, if you do something wrong with your computer, you will only blame yourself, while if you downloaded the patch, you are most likely not going to destroy your comp. So just try the patch before all other solutions.

Old 03-17-05, 08:12 PM   #656
Clevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubersoldat
Ok, please try the Update NOW! Before you do something drastic. So far ALL my problems are gone. Please, if you do something wrong with your computer, you will only blame yourself, while if you downloaded the patch, you are most likely not going to destroy your comp. So just try the patch before all other solutions.

That site is blocked at work so I can't check what it is. What is it? A driver patch? Patch for the video card??? Wouldn't you need a different patch for different brands of cards?

We've heard this snakeoil thing before: guaranteed to work! I've always been skeptical of disabling FW myself as it's never worked - 'cept maybe now.
Corsair HC200

SuperPI 32M=24'14"
SuperPI 1M=27.187"

Old 03-17-05, 10:07 PM   #657
ubersoldat

Its forceware. It works on all gfx cards in its category, so since its a Geforce it patches up all the Geforce cards at once. So it will work on your card. Basically its a driver patch. if the gforce was a problem then this thread would still be thriving with people complaining.
Old 03-20-05, 06:50 PM   #658
MikeC
Administrator

I put together a new system back in January, which consists of an AMD Athlon 64 4000+, MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Motherboard (nForce 3 Ultra), and two 512MB sticks of Corsair DDR400 dual-channel memory.

Most of my gaming of late has been in single-player mode, but this weekend I had the urge to fire up my favorite multi-player game - Enemy Territory. Unfortunately, I have spent most of that time investigating an annoying system "freeze" that occurs while playing on PunkBuster enabled servers. The system even "freezes" for a split second when PunkBuster is enabled during ET's player profile creation process.

I didn't experience this problem during a preview of the GeForce 6800 Ultra on a similar system last April. I have tested the GeForce 6800 Ultra and Radeon X800 XT PE in the new system and the problem occurs with both graphics cards. There are a number of items left to troubleshoot, but so far the only way I have been able to avoid the problem is to play on servers that do not require Punkbuster.

The main reason I am mentioning this is because of the growing number of reports of random lockups and freezes with GeForce 6 Series graphics cards. If you are experiencing similar problems during on-line gameplay, be sure to check out "Punkbuster, ATI and Nvidia: Freezing in your online FPS favorites?" over at Neoseeker. Then head over and contribute in this massive thread at HardwareForum.

System Specs:
  • AMD Athlon 64 4000+ Processor
  • MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Motherboard (nForce 3 Ultra)
  • Corsair TWINX1024-3200LLPRO - (2) 512MB DIMMs - 1GB Total
  • Antec 550W TruePower Power Supply
  • Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
  • NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra
  • ATI Radeon X800 XT PE
  • Creative Sound Blaster Driver v1. 84. 55
  • NVIDIA nForce Unified Driver v5.10 (Ethernet v4.42, GART v4.36, SMBus v4.04, NVIDIA IDE v4.46)
  • NVIDIA ForceWare Graphics Driver v71.84
  • ATI CATALYST Graphics Driver v5.3
  • Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 & DirectX 9.0c
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-05, 07:00 PM   #659
Clevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubersoldat
Its forceware. It works on all gfx cards in its category, so since its a Geforce it patches up all the Geforce cards at once. So it will work on your card. Basically its a driver patch. if the gforce was a problem then this thread would still be thriving with people complaining.
I tried that patch, but mainly what it does now is upgrade drivers to 76.1. Nope, IL-2 in D3D locked up within one minute with my Ultra overclocked, unless I disable FW. Moreover, these drivers seem slow.

Furthermore, I found something appalling. I was benching the Marks at 465/1200 with my Ultra and was getting dead-ass slow scores. Several times I had to check whether FSAA/Aniso was on or what .

If you guys are disabling FW, have you checked to see the consequences? Well on the DFI UT3 board, I lose a whopping 400-600 points in 3DMark2000 and 3DMark2001!!! I actually get (much) better scores leaving my Ultra at 425/1100 and FW enabled versus 461/1196 and FW disabled!

Now 3DMark2003/2005 scores don't drop much since they are pretty much video card dependent.

Fortunately I have five rigs, and a couple of X800XT PEs and an X850XT PE in PCI-Express. So I don't have to dwell here. Definitely get an ATI card if you have an NF3 board.
Corsair HC200

SuperPI 32M=24'14"
SuperPI 1M=27.187"
Old 03-26-05, 11:39 AM   #660
Spoonie
My Ge6800U freezes :/

Send a message via MSN to Spoonie
Unhappy Re: GeForce 6800 and random freezes

Another person jumping on the bandwagon

Had a new rig set up. These are the specs:
Asus A8V Deluxe MOBO
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 939
Dual Channel 1GB RAM
PNY Verto GeForce 6800 Ultra
Running on 1024*768*32 at 75Hz, because my monitor is rubbish
350W Power Supply -- this could well be the source of the problem?

The symptoms: hardlock with looping sound in games after 5-10 minutes of good gameplay in Far Cry, Deus Ex: Invisible War, and even Shogun Total War. One thing I have noticed with Shogun Total War: if I set it to software control of graphics instead of primary display driver, then it does not crash. Absolutely no problems so far with UT2004, no problems with Doom 3 *except* it hardlocks with looping sound when I get to fight the Guardian of the Soul Cube in the Hell level. No problems with Quake 3, Deus Ex 1, Serious Sam 2. All these problematic games have the latest patches installed.

Solutions already tried but made no difference:
1) AGP 8x to 4x in BIOS
2) Disable AGP Fastwrite
3) Messing with NVIDIA Forceware: 66.93/71.84/76.41, all same problems
4) Setting both the 2D/3D clockspeeds to 425/1100. No difference. The PNY is pre-clocked at 3D at 425.
5) Tried higher clockspeeds (430, 450) or lower clockspeeds (400), no dice. Also messed around with 2d/l3d/3d clockspeeds in RIVATuner, nope.
6) In Control Panel, messed around with hardware acceleration, no difference. Unchecked Enable Write Combining, nope.
7) Nothing to do with CPU/MOBO/RAM (stress tested with Prime95)
8) Messed around with anti-aliasing, anisotropic settings. Nope.
9) Nothing to do with onboard sound clashing with Audigy 2.

Could be:
1) PSU 350W not coping well
2) Something to do with AGP Aperture in BIOS?
3) Need to flash BIOS?!
4) Audigy 2 sharing IRQ (16) with 6800 Ultra, may be the cause? (Says no conflicts in control panel)
5) Forcing Refresh rates? I am forcing everything to run under 1024*768*32 at 75Hz for all programs.
Spoonie is offline   Reply With Quote