Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-01-05, 11:21 AM   #685
Porksmuggler

Default Re: GeForce 6800 and random freezes

found yet another link to similar issues, its older but has some good info.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...t=6800+stutter
Porksmuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-05, 05:42 PM   #686
Porksmuggler

the more i test the weirder this problem gets. if you've read my previous posts, sorry to cry wolf but the 6.53 remix only gave me limited success.

i've been playing alot of CS:Source and Freelancer:TNG lately and these are my newest observations. With CS, anything over 380/1100 and i still was getting BSOD or garbled video. The same with FL:TNG, but i found an interesting exception. If i forced AA to 4x and Aniso to 8X in the nVidia display properties on the desktop, then FL would run no problem even past 400/1000. I was still running CS at 380/1100 w/ application controlled settings for AA and Aniso for stability.

So today i installed Guild Wars, and as soon as it loaded after install, boom! garbled video, infinite loop, BSOD. this was at 400/1100 application controlled. set to 380/1100, no problem. 390/1100 artifacts/garble but i could exit to the desktop. this was perfect for testing, same thing happens every time.

so i tested one by one: aperature size/fast writes/ sideband addressing/agp bus freq./AGP voltage in BIOS/chipset, mem, cpu voltage/71.89 and 76.44 forceware. All at stock system settings, nothing worked.

as a last attempt i forced AA to 4x and Aniso to 8x at 390/1100...it worked , and at 400/1100. decided to go further. tested each independently...forcing Aniso is what worked, AA had nothing to do with it.

i tested each setting 2x, 4x, 8x, all worked, but 16x BSOD

so the card works perfect at 380/1100 with everything at default OR just by forcing Aniso 2-8x past 400/1100? BUT setting it to 16x and back to BSOD.

what is happening at core speeds >=390 if forcing Aniso 8x fixes it, but 16x pushes it too far?

what is it about the 6800x/NF3/AGP combination that would cause this?

back to testing, please provide feedback if this works for you.
Old 05-01-05, 11:18 PM   #687
nas82

I have never experienced these problems that are mention in this thread.
I noticed no one that posted on this board has an Asus video card except, i do, but none of the issues.

My system is:
Abit AN7
2400+ Mobile
1 gig of Geil ram
Asus 6800GT(256MB)

My current video drivers are 76.44.
Latest chipset drivers.
Fast writes enabled
Stock Asus cooling.
My idle temp is at 62C and my load temp is 72C.
I've never had the temp bug and i never had any kind of stability problems with my system.

Let me know if you guys need anymore info from me.
nas82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-05, 02:17 AM   #688
Porksmuggler

Abit AN7 is NF2, the problem is mainly with NF3/6800x. i help to organize LAN parties in N.C. and practically everyone in our business has a 6800GT/Ultra.
those with problems have NF3 754 & 939, but glad to hear you aren't affected.
Old 05-03-05, 05:09 PM   #689
Clevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porksmuggler
Abit AN7 is NF2, the problem is mainly with NF3/6800x. i help to organize LAN parties in N.C. and practically everyone in our business has a 6800GT/Ultra.
those with problems have NF3 754 & 939, but glad to hear you aren't affected.
I keep reminding people of this myself, but some people with NF2 claim they also have problems. I've never seen it myself with the 8RDA+ or NF7-S.
300x10 at default VCORE (1.36 volts)
2x512MB GSkill FF at 2.5-3-3-7 (2.8 VDIMM)
X850XT PE at default clock
Corsair HC200

SuperPI 32M=24'14"
SuperPI 1M=27.187"
Clevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-05, 07:53 PM   #690
Clockwork
I was cured all right...

Well, in my previous post I had thought disabling fastwrites solved all my issues (and actually it did....until now). Unfortunately, I just installed Psychonauts and I am getting sound stutters/pauses which are similar to the ones I got before.

| AMD Athlon 64 3500+ | 1GB Corsair XMS Extreme Memory PC3200 DDR | GIGABYTE GA-K8NSNXP-939 nForce3 Ultra | WD 120GB SATA | BFG 6800GT OC w/ Zalman VF700cu | Pioneer DVR-A07XLA 8x DVD+-R/RW | Aopen 1640Pro-A 16x DVD | Cooler Master Cavalier 1 CAV-T01-WWA case | Ultra X-Connect 500watt psu | Windows XP Professional w/ SP2 |Samsung 193p+ 19" LCD
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 05:21 AM   #691
Beano3

Been watching this thread for a while, and some good suggestions. Sadly, nothing has fixed this completely for me. I have the infamous combination of nf3 chipset, Athlon64, and GeForce 6800GT. To people still not having any luck getting rid of these dreaded freezes, you have my sympathies.

One interesting point is that of all the (many) bioses I've tried on my graphics card, one is *far* more stable than all the rest, and this is the nvidia Geforce6800 reference bios rev2. Here is a link to it on mvktech

http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?opt...&filecatid=504

It's standard clock speeds (350/500(1000)), but the core is 1.4volts instead of 1.3.

I've be really interested to hear if anyone else who has tried this bios has found it to be the most stable also. I can actually run everything fine except Far Cry, which still freezes very occasionally. It's also possible to enable fast-writes with this bios flashed, which normally makes the problem much worse with all the other bios files I have tried.

I'm giving this till the end of the week, but if I still haven't stabilised my system, I'm getting a new mobo that *hasn't* got an nforce3 chipset. Pretty sure this will sort it as the GeForce works fine in a mate's PC. I still want to use the 6800GT (I favour it over the ati equiv, especially for Far Cry HDR), but I just can't be bothered to waste any more of my life on sorting this out and doing boring-as-hell tweaks and adjustments. I want to play some games..

Just for the curous, here is what I've tried so far:

New PSU Antec 500W

Arctic Silver 5 on all components (gpu, gpu mem, cpu)

Arctic Cooler unit on 6800GT

(at this point, I realised it wasn't heat/power)

Clock speed adjustments on gpu/mem

Flashing Mobo bios with a beta version.

Flashing GPU bios with many different images, including a couple i edited myself.

Adjusting PCI latency

Adjusting main memory timings

I've read through countless posts of people having this problem on many forums. There are a few unlucky people who just cannot get this resolved no matter what, despite trying everything suggested. Most of them eventually give up and buy different components. I'm gonna give up and spend fifty quid on a mobo, and pray that it'll work.
Beano3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 02:15 PM   #692
Porksmuggler

i feel your pain, especially the wasting any more of my life part. was just about to swap out the psu or the mobo myself. was leaning more towards the mobo, which is a shame because otherwise the DFI 250GB is the best.
at this point the mobo is the least costly route, as selling the card and buying an equivilent ATI is going to be costly.

Which mobo were you thinking about? personally the Abit KV8 Pro looks like a winner (make sure you get v1.1 with the working lock)

What other forums do you check, would like to compare to my list.
anyone else have positive feedback on the mobo swap?

Old 05-09-05, 05:33 PM   #693
Beano3

Not sure which exact mobo yet, I'll be looking at reviews over the next couple of days. Might go for a VIA board. I would of preferred to get the nf3 board working of course, but it's just never gonna happen at this rate. I've had loads of nvidia kit over the years (TNT2u thru GF2GTS, GF4ti4200 to present 6800GT), and everything has worked perfectly. This is the first bad experience I've ever had with nvidia, so I'm bearing with them for the time being instead of defecting to ATI. Doom3 was the reason I last upgraded, and nvidia was the way to go.

Many forums have had threads started about this issue. There is a massive one on anandtech (link to thread) which covers a lot of stuff. There have been plenty of mentions from time to time on the OCuk forums too. The main problem is that it's so intermittant and random that I've seen countless occasions when people announce they've fixed it, only to find it returning shortly afterwards. I've nearly done it myself a couple of times. A lot of people also say things like "if it's only happening occasionally, why can't you live with it?". That's fine until you suddenly freeze at some crucial moment in a difficult single playeer mission on a game, or during a closely matched duel with someone online. That's when it really hits you just how annoying it can be.

Totally moot now anyway as I *am* gonna spend some money on a board rather than fooling about any longer trying to fix it. I dare say many people would continue to try and troubleshoot it to death if they were in my position, but as I'm primarily a console gamer, I don't have the same passion for tweaking and/or overclocking as most PC dudes.

Good luck if you decide to upgrade your PSU, but I had no luck with that particular option myself. Didn't make any difference sadly. Can't recommend you get a mobo either of course as it's the one major thing I haven't tried myself... yet.
Beano3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 05:35 AM   #694
Porksmuggler

found this fix while looking through post on MVKTech, never heard of this particular fix before. looking for feedback, somebody wanna try it?

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=4432
Old 05-18-05, 10:50 AM   #695
loubkt

i've done and try several tweak in order to find issues i do have msi k8n neo plat (s754) and a gainward 6800 nu 256mo ddr....here's my story at www.mvktech.net :
http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?opt...id=13&id=15658

what do i need to say.....f**k!!!!
loubkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-05, 02:20 AM   #696
Porksmuggler

more reported fixes for the NF3/6800x stutter

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=4758

feedback if it works would be appreciated.