Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-18-04, 06:28 PM   #97
ubersoldat

Default Re: GeForce 6800 and random freezes

So did this help anyone out? I'm not going to void my warranty unless it has helped other people.
ubersoldat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-04, 07:17 PM   #98
N8PIZZUTO

Question Re: GeForce 6800 and random freezes

I believe Alienware you cannot open the case you need to RMA whole machine.
Do you know any A+ certified technichians that can help you? I am a tech but I don't think you should if you do not feel confident. This is a very easy fix but I think maybe Nvidia Vendors should Recall the cards or release a solid guide for the fix I have tried the fix on 5 different brands of the 6800 series cards all with the same result. Nvidia's tork specs are incorrect or just sloppy manufactureing on the Vendors behalf but it is conclusive that these cards are overheating not beyond spec but the cooling solution is to blame.

Last edited by N8PIZZUTO; 08-18-04 at 07:31 PM.
N8PIZZUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 01:17 PM   #99
N8PIZZUTO

The NV silencer rev.5 is on newegg WOOT! I am buying one right now! This is what these cards needed from the get go! WTF was nvidia thinking.
Old 08-20-04, 03:24 AM   #100
ubersoldat

Can you take me through the steps to do that thing with the graphics card N8PIZZUTO? Please don't call me a newb, cuz I know lots of technical ****. And your the one who knows more about the graphics card than me.
Old 08-20-04, 05:22 PM   #101
N8PIZZUTO

Talking Re: GeForce 6800 and random freezes

I understand if I spent all that mny on a alienware in stead of building my own I wouldn't want to viod their warranty. I sry for the newb callin.

What you do is the plate covering the card with the grafix you need to remove then just tighten the screws under that and tighten them good but don't strip them out. Good luck!
Old 08-20-04, 06:23 PM   #102
ubersoldat

Sweet, I can call up the tech support and tell them what I'll do, then I won't void the warranty.
Old 08-20-04, 06:32 PM   #103
Boz

I too have been having this freeze/lock up problem. I only experience it during counterstrike though. And usually when I just entered into smoke from a smoke bomb (it will not happen everytime though). It will freeze and eventually come back, but everything is all broken up, even when I go back to the desk top the screen is still broken up. I have to reboot to clear it up and it may be hours before it happens again. I called PNY tech support and they suggested upgrading my mobo chipset drivers, but that did not cure my problem. All other drivers are up to date. I don't believe this is a heat problem as it has happened min after I have booted up the computer and when I go to the temp controls in the settings, I am running well below what is in the recommended temp. Someone here recommended running ram in the nondual channel mode, I might try it, but the idea of doing this to make a $500 card work seems a bit much. I didn't spend good money on "like" ram so I couldn't take advantage of the dual channel mobo. I didn't buy the "top of the line card" to have to mess with it to get it to work. I will keep scanning this forum to see if anyone comes up w/ a good solution. I am not much into overclocking or messing w/ such things. Any help would be great.

System Specs:
Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
1 gig DDR 3200 RAM in dual channel mode
Intel 875 Mobo w/ 800Mzh FSB
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Direct X 9.0c
NVidia Drivers 61.76
Boz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-04, 06:53 PM   #104
ubersoldat

Yo N8PIZZUTO. I did what you said, and now I'm going to be testing the comp this week for any probs. Lets hope for the best. I never knew the screws where lose. lol!!!

Old 08-21-04, 07:12 PM   #105
ubersoldat

I just ran the game ground control 2. Before I fixed the gfx card, that game froze 5 minutes after the game started. Now I tryed the game, it broke the barrier, but when I turned up the graphics, it froze and made loud snaps noices on the speakers.
Old 08-21-04, 11:47 PM   #106
awshucks101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz
I didn't buy the "top of the line card" to have to mess with it to get it to work. I will keep scanning this forum to see if anyone comes up w/ a good solution. I am not much into overclocking or messing w/ such things. Any help would be great.
We almost have identical pc's, except my mb is the 865 chipset. Your stalls are with CS, mine are with D3. So far, I've tried switching drivers, and disabling fast writes with Riva, and neither worked. Like your card, my temps are well within spec when it happens.
If I can't find a fix for it soon, cards going back. I mean, what the hell is that? Game will just lock up and then start back up again. VERY annoying. This is a new one on me. Gonna go get an Antec 550 tomorrow, see if that helps.

P4 2.8C @3.1
Asus P4P800
1 Gb Geil 3500
Koolance Exos
Evga 6800GT
CDROM
80G Seagate
Zalman 400 psu

OK, found what I needed. Turns out I only had the mb drivers from Asus installed. Didn't have the Intel inf. software download. The AGP and the Bus were on the same IRQ before, the new inf file solved it.

Last edited by awshucks101; 08-22-04 at 02:35 AM.
awshucks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 04:25 AM   #107
TheHelpful1

I've tried disabling FW (first with rivatuner and then with the coolbits tweak which didnt stick), setting my core clock speeds the same 2d/3d and even lowering them both to the same speeds 400/400) yet Far Cry continues to lockup ~1min into each level. If i leave it alone, sometimes it will unfreeze itself and be fine until the next level and other times it just goes into a sceen full of artifacts and BSOD >> Reboots itself.

Geforce 6800 ultra (EVGA)
XP Pro
3.4GHZ EE
2 x 250GB HDD
edit: Also my PSU is 400 watts, which 'should' be enough since nvidia lowered the estimate to 350 watts.
help!
TheHelpful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 05:03 AM   #108
eva2000

hate to break it to you 400W psu won't be enough http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...035#post408035

because 3.4EE uses 103W of power and oc'd can use 180-200W just the cpu itself... that's 2-3 times more than regular cpus..
eva2000 is offline   Reply With Quote