Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-02-04, 10:05 PM   #1
ZennouRyuu

Default X Lock Up

Ok, I have read countless posts here (as far back as 2002) on the gentoo forums and elsewhere across the net with absolutely no success whatsoever. This is my cry for help.

I just purchased a new laptop with an nVidia GeForce4 440 Go GFX card AMD Athalon XP 3000+ 512MB DDR and an nForce3 mainboard chipset (nForce AGP controller) I have compiled and installed the most recent three releases of the nvidia drivers and am currently using the most recent driver (6106) and without fail whenever I am running X (xorg or XFree86) my system will hardlock withen a random but short amount of time. No matter what I am doing, regardless of the window manager or system load. it will simply lock up when it wants to. (Usually withen five minutes).

I have tried many things, from disabling AGPGART and using nvAGP to changing my stack size in the 2.6.7 kernel that I run (currently set to 8k but 4 was no better) I have played with numerous options in my kernel and with the module loading (enable/disable AGPFW/SBA in all combinations) I have enabled and disable DMA I toyed with countlless options of hdparm and I can honestly say I have no more ideas.

Please if you have any ideas, help me!
ZennouRyuu is offline   Reply With Quote