Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-23-04, 11:20 AM   #1
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

Default Is there a way for me to block out a section?

Without labeling myself right or left, I'm just gonna say that a lot of the topics in the Political Section catch my eye and sometimes aggrivate me. But fact I joined Nvnews for tech talk, not political talk. In fact it really aggrivates me to also see people throw politcal comments in their signatures and avatars.

I honestly just wanna shut out the Politcal Section from my sight, is there a way to do this? This includes seeing new threads posted in that section when viewing from the forum root.

Why don't I just participate in Political discussions if I have something to say? Because political talks can bring out the worst in people. I'm here to talk tech not politics.

Gator
Old 07-23-04, 11:28 AM   #2
intercede007
American

Send a message via ICQ to intercede007 Send a message via AIM to intercede007 Send a message via MSN to intercede007 Send a message via Yahoo to intercede007
Default Re: Is there a way for me to block out a section?

Then use your internal computer and ignore the political forum.
intercede007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-04, 11:31 AM   #3
Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator
Without labeling myself right or left, I'm just gonna say that a lot of the topics in the Political Section catch my eye and sometimes aggrivate me. But fact I joined Nvnews for tech talk, not political talk. In fact it really aggrivates me to also see people throw politcal comments in their signatures and avatars.

I honestly just wanna shut out the Politcal Section from my sight, is there a way to do this? This includes seeing new threads posted in that section when viewing from the forum root.

Why don't I just participate in Political discussions if I have something to say? Because political talks can bring out the worst in people. I'm here to talk tech not politics.

Gator
I'll look into this but I don't think you can "hide" forums from yourself. There is likely a vB hack for this if it's not a default option though.

Regarding what people put in their sigs. We're not going to run this site like a bunch of communists so unless there is something that is just way out of line we'll not police it. One recent example was that of people having avatars urinating on something (i.e. the infamous Calvin sticker we've all seen on a truck before). That was deemed to be too vulgar and just all around flamebait (as it was usually urinating on an ATI or NVIDIA corporate logo).

If you don't like the political verbiage that you see in some sigs you can always turn off your ability to view sigs. Hope this helps.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-04, 11:38 AM   #4
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
I'll look into this but I don't think you can "hide" forums from yourself. There is likely a vB hack for this if it's not a default option though.

Regarding what people put in their sigs. We're not going to run this site like a bunch of communists so unless there is something that is just way out of line we'll not police it. One recent example was that of people having avatars urinating on something (i.e. the infamous Calvin sticker we've all seen on a truck before). That was deemed to be too vulgar and just all around flamebait (as it was usually urinating on an ATI or NVIDIA corporate logo).

If you don't like the political verbiage that you see in some sigs you can always turn off your ability to view sigs. Hope this helps.
Ok, lemmy know if those changes are possible. I will say that Rage3d has the capability to click off sections of the forum. For example, since I no longer use or own any Radeon cards, I have the entire Radeon section turned off so I can scroll to the other sections in less time. Could Nvnews possibly do something like this?

And what's deemed offensive in an avatar or signature is purely a personal preference. For example, what a right wing conservative finds offensive a liberal left wing person might find to be funny. I'm not saying you guys should be communists or facists, but in my opinion this is a technology forum so really no avatars or sigs should be of a political nature. Again this is just my opinion, it's not like I'm shedding tears and screaming attrocity just because someone has an annoying avatar or sig. And I'm not gonna turn off those options either, they are crucial when someone posts a question regarding their computer and you use their system specs in the sig as a reference.
Old 07-23-04, 11:44 AM   #5
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

opps, just noticed you guys do have those little arrows

Is there a way to limit it to sub sections of a forum, or does it have to be the ENTIRE section? (OT, Political, Sales, Test, etc)
Old 07-23-04, 11:51 AM   #6
Clay

Quote:
Ok, lemmy know if those changes are possible. I will say that Rage3d has the capability to click off sections of the forum. For example, since I no longer use or own any Radeon cards, I have the entire Radeon section turned off so I can scroll to the other sections in less time. Could Nvnews possibly do something like this?
Right, like I said I have no doubt that it is possible. I'll look into it.

Quote:
And what's deemed offensive in an avatar or signature is purely a personal preference.
Sure, you're exactly right of course. However, this is a privately owned/run forum. I've likened it in the past to a party at someone's house. If you don't like the fact that the host's house has a picture of Ronald Reagan or Bill Clinton in their living room...what would/could you do? What if a fellow party goer wore a "Make love not war" t-shirt? What if they were discusssing their political views to a group of other guests and you simply overheard bits that you didn't agree with? I think you see my point.

Don't get me wrong, you're approaching this topic very well IMO. At the same time though, we all agreed to the same terms when we requested membership here. If MikeC tried to appease everyone with things like this then he'd never get anything done.
Old 07-23-04, 11:53 AM   #7
Clay

Quote:
opps, just noticed you guys do have those little arrows

Is there a way to limit it to sub sections of a forum, or does it have to be the ENTIRE section? (OT, Political, Sales, Test, etc)
Oooh, you mean these?

Yeah those are just the collapsable buttons. Those apply to the entire section. I thought you wanted to actually "hide" a certain forum from yourself. The latter is doable but, again, I think it would take a hack. JuiceZ is our vB master so I'd have to defer it to him.
Old 07-23-04, 12:00 PM   #8
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

Quote:
...Don't get me wrong, you're approaching this topic very well IMO. At the same time though, we all agreed to the same terms when we requested membership here. If MikeC tried to appease everyone with things like this then he'd never get anything done.
You know what, you're right, this is a privately owned forum and as an active member I agreed to accept certain things. I'll just continue to ignore annoying avatars and sigs, even if does get under my skin a little. Sorry for the trouble.

Quote:
Oooh, you mean these?

Yeah those are just the collapsable buttons. Those apply to the entire section. I thought you wanted to actually "hide" a certain forum from yourself. The latter is doable but, again, I think it would take a hack. JuiceZ is our vB master so I'd have to defer it to him.
Ya those collapse buttons are really nice, I love that feature of VB3. Lemmy know if you can get to affect sub sections and not just entire sections.

Old 07-23-04, 12:06 PM   #9
Clay

Quote:
You know what, you're right, this is a privately owned forum and as an active member I agreed to accept certain things. I'll just continue to ignore annoying avatars and sigs, even if does get under my skin a little. Sorry for the trouble.
No problem at all. I'm always more than happy to discuss questions/concerns with members if they are sincere and sensible as you obviously are.

Quote:
Ya those collapse buttons are really nice, I love that feature of VB3. Lemmy know if you can get to affect sub sections and not just entire sections.
Ok, I must admit that it's not going to be at the top of my "todo" list but I'll look into it as I find time. You might want to PM JuiceZ about it too and see if he has any ideas.
Old 08-02-04, 02:29 PM   #10
pat777
NV420

You can disable avatars and signatures. I only disable avatars. The only thing that offends me is p0rn in avatars. Some signatures offend me but not much.
pat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 10:31 PM   #11
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

actually, i agree 100% with gator on this one... i avoid the political debates like a plague. i actually was a super mod on a forum, and the forum owner put it to me best; "wars are started over 3 things, politics, money, and religion" -- guess which of the two weren't permitted on the board? lol
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote