Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-23-04, 05:00 PM   #1
ToastyX

Default Stable Hardware Configurations

I want to know if there are any hardware configurations where the Linux NVIDIA driver is known to work without causing stability problems. Some people claim the driver works flawlessly for them. Frankly, I find it hard to believe them. I've basically had three different computers over the last few years and none of them have ever been 100% stable as long as the NVIDIA driver is loaded.

Some people encounter more obvious problems than others. Some people encounter hard freezes and kernel panics. Those are obvious problems, but some people may not encounter more obscure problems, so they don't take them into account when claiming the driver works flawlessly for them even though it may not. For some people, it may seem stable for several weeks before a problem occurs. Some people reboot often enough not to encounter a problem. Some people never leave X. Restarting X seems to trigger problems for some people. Sometimes X stops responding because something in the NVIDIA driver screws up (the "screen frozen, but mouse pointer moves" problem). For some people, this doesn't happen often enough for them to worry about it, and when it does happen, they can just SSH into their computer and kill X. For other people, this happens often enough to become aggravating, and if you don't have access to another computer, you have no choice but to hit the reset button. Some people don't play graphics-intensive games which may reveal problems that otherwise don't show up.

I've been waiting patiently, hoping that NVIDIA would eventually fix these problems, but it seems each new driver release just causes more problems. I'm getting sick of it.

I want to know if there is a hardware configuration where none of this stuff happens. If you think you have a stable hardware configuration, please post your hardware specifications. Thanks.
ToastyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-04, 05:55 PM   #2
SuLinUX

Default Re: Stable Hardware Configurations

See below,
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-04, 06:02 PM   #3
utanja
Debian All the Way

See below,
- Goethe, Maximen und Reflexionen
Intel 3I-core 2d.gen -3.1GHz;8 gig ram;PureDebian SID[3.2[custom kernel] 8 Debian workstations
plus HP Win7 64bit Wireless Laptop Network/Citrix/NX/VMware
Mozilla/Firebird browsers
my american friends call me tonya
utanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-04, 07:00 PM   #4
ToastyX

That's it? Only two configurations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuLinUX
See below,
AthlonXP 2600+ / Asus A7V8X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram / SB Audigy / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Samsung DVD / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb/ Suse 9.1 Pro / Kernel 2.6.8-rc1/ nVidia 6106 driver / Gnome 2.6 /
How can I be sure your hardware configuration really is stable before going out and wasting all of my money only to find out it's not? I've had people tell me things work fine for them even when they don't; they just don't seem to notice the problems. How can I be sure that's not the case here?
Old 07-28-04, 07:52 PM   #5
andyrock

Do outdated computers count?

P3 800
Via 694T chipset
Geforce4 Ti 4800SE

--
1. Toshiba M30-742 | Centrino/Pentium-M 1700mhz | Geforce FX 5200Go
2. Celeron (Tualatin) 1400mhz | Geforce Ti 4800SE
andyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-04, 08:05 PM   #6
utanja
Debian All the Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastyX
That's it? Only two configurations?

How can I be sure your hardware configuration really is stable before going out and wasting all of my money only to find out it's not? I've had people tell me things work fine for them even when they don't; they just don't seem to notice the problems. How can I be sure that's not the case here?
cynical....lol

i am running 7 of these networked in my home/office business 24/7 without problems for over a year now.....just upgraded to 2.6.7 kernel and still using 1.5335 nvidia driver.....i run a charter flight service and cannot afford to be down or have problems....btw...the computers are Medion...(made in germany)
http://www.medionusa.com/
- Goethe, Maximen und Reflexionen
Intel 3I-core 2d.gen -3.1GHz;8 gig ram;PureDebian SID[3.2[custom kernel] 8 Debian workstations
plus HP Win7 64bit Wireless Laptop Network/Citrix/NX/VMware
Mozilla/Firebird browsers
my american friends call me tonya
utanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-04, 10:00 PM   #7
ToastyX

I have a hard time believing SuLinUX because his hardware configuration resembles that with which other people are having problems, but I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt.

As for the other two hardware configurations, now that I think about it, nearly all of the people complaining about these sorts of problems have AMD systems, and most of them have VIA chipsets. Perhaps NVIDIA's support for many VIA chipsets is buggy. I really don't know. I just know that many people are experiencing the same problems, and they have yet to be fixed after all this time.

Last edited by ToastyX; 10-21-04 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-29-04, 06:59 AM   #8
xbob
WWGFD?

My set up is rock stable, albeit underperforming (submitted bug report, they acknowledge the bug with older cards and 6106). See sig, VIA chipset on the "non-supported" list.

Kind of bad form casting doubt on SuLinUX when he bothered to answer your questions
xbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-04, 07:36 AM   #9
PrakashP
gentoo ~x86_64 user

Abit NF7-S Rev 2 (nforce2), bois 25d, Albatron GF4-Ti4200, Athlon XP @2.2GHz, 1GB Twinmos DDR400 DC, water-cooled

kernel 2.6.7-ck5 (+more patches), NPTL, REGPARM, 4k stacks, xorg-x11...

gentoo Linux, nvidia 1.0.6106

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status
Driver: NVIDIA
AGP Rate: 8x
Fast Writes: Enabled
SBA: Enabled
PrakashP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-04, 08:10 AM   #10
linuxbeak

I had a very stable configuration, before my video card's fan cooked itself.

Here you go:

Intel Desktop Board D845PESV
845PE Chipset
2.4 GHz Intel PIV
512 MB DDR RAM (unsure of clock)
NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX440 64MB Video Card
Slackware 9.1
Kernel 2.6.7
5336 Driver

Worked perfectly for a long time. My TI4200 WOULDN'T work at all. I'm sending it back and getting a different card. If it doesn't work then, then ATI just gained themselves a new customer.
linuxbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-04, 10:53 AM   #11
Reeve
GeForce2 MX400

Send a message via AIM to Reeve

The only time my system has ever had problems with the nVidia drivers was when I had my old PCI TV tuner (VoodooTV 100) in, and that was because the nVidia driver was trying to take the same PCI memory space for the video card and the TV tuner. After switching to an ATI TV Wonder PCI, I had no more problems. My current system setup:

Motherboard:
Intel 845PE
Processor:
Intel Pentium 4 (Northwood) 1.8 GHz
RAM:
One 512 MB stick
Video Card:
Asylum GeForce FX 5200
LAN:
Intel 845PE onboard
Sound:
Sound Blaster Live! Platinum
Intel 845PE onboard
Hard Drive:
Western Digital 250GB Special Edition 8M Cache
Media Drives:
Pacific Digital 4x DVD[-+]RW
IOmega ZIP 100
TV Tuner:
ATI TV Wonder PCI
USB Devices:
Gravis Gamepad
SanDisk Memory Stick Reader
Sony Clie SJ22/U
Aiptek Mini Pencam 1.3M
Operating System:
Debian GNU/Linux Unstable (fully updated)

And on a side note, does anyone know why my GeForce FX 5200 is about half as fast as my friends (supposedly) identical card? (I'm comparing speeds with each of them in my system) I say supposedly because I noticed the nVidia driver seems to say their two different chips even though their the same brand, both GeForce FX 5200, only he bought his when the GeForce FX first came out, while I bought mine last year.
Old 07-29-04, 10:00 PM   #12
ToastyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbob
Kind of bad form casting doubt on SuLinUX when he bothered to answer your questions
I want to believe him. I really do, but how can I be sure his hardware configuration really is stable with the Linux NVIDIA driver without going out and spending the money? I was being serious when I asked that. Like I mentioned before, I've had people tell me things work fine for them even when they don't. Either they are not bothered by the problems to notice or their normal usage doesn't trigger the problems, but usually the same problems are there.

I'm sorry if I sound cynical, but I'm tired of wasting my money. I just want something that works, but that seems to be impossible every time I throw NVIDIA into the mix.

Last edited by ToastyX; 07-29-04 at 10:10 PM.