Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-29-04, 11:52 PM   #13
Compholio

Talking Re: Stable Hardware Configurations

Works fine with:
AMD FX-53, ASUS SK8N, 512 MB Reg ECC, Western Digital WD740GD 10K RPM SATA-150, and Fedora Core 3 Test 1 x86_64 (kernel 2.6.7-1.494), oh yeah: GeForce 6800 and driver 1.0-6106
Compholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-04, 02:50 AM   #14
MadEgg

Default Re: Stable Hardware Configurations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastyX
I want to believe him. I really do, but how can I be sure his hardware configuration really is stable with the Linux NVIDIA driver without going out and spending the money? I was being serious when I asked that. Like I mentioned before, I've had people tell me things work fine for them even when they don't. Either they are not bothered by the problems to notice or their normal usage doesn't trigger the problems, but usually the same problems are there.

I'm sorry if I sound cynical, but I'm tired of wasting my money. I just want something that works, but that seems to be impossible every time I throw NVIDIA into the mix.

You're right. I'm tired of all the problems as well. I decided, following the comments made about chipsets in this thread, to trash my VIA-chipset mobo and get a new Intel chipset mobo. Hopefully that will finally get me out of the trouble. I'll let you know when I got it in next week.
Old 07-30-04, 03:16 AM   #15
ridcully
GeForce4 Ti 4200

You also have to consider that not only the hardware combination but also the configuration can make a big difference .

My system seems to be rockstable as long as I disable the TV-OUT in my XF86Config with Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "DFP,TV"

But this changes immediately when I enable tv-out..
ridcully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-04, 05:14 AM   #16
SuLinUX

Well if you ask the qustion and dont believe me why ask at all?, I've just installed Slaclware 10.0 on my other HD and it's spot on. I really do wonder what the big issue is, and some people have got some kind of messed up config to have the problems they have.

My setup has always been extreemly stable in Linux but if you dont believe me then thats your problem.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-04, 06:03 AM   #17
xbob
WWGFD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastyX
I want to believe him. I really do, but how can I be sure his hardware configuration really is stable with the Linux NVIDIA driver without going out and spending the money? I was being serious when I asked that. Like I mentioned before, I've had people tell me things work fine for them even when they don't. Either they are not bothered by the problems to notice or their normal usage doesn't trigger the problems, but usually the same problems are there.

I'm sorry if I sound cynical, but I'm tired of wasting my money. I just want something that works, but that seems to be impossible every time I throw NVIDIA into the mix.
You better get a new hobby, if you are going to base your purchase descisions on avoiding the bad experiences of others you can never win, every piece of hardware and software has limitations and drawbacks for some users. You say it yourself, some people aren't bothered by (and this is an issue I can relate to, some people do tolerate a lot of bugs but call it stable) but your second point, that some people's normal usage doesn't trigger the issu, you can never win that battle.

Do the research, make a decision, live with the consequences. Don't hold other people accountable for your decisions.
xbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-04, 10:58 AM   #18
jschellhaass

On an Abit KT7A-RAID (AMD Athlon 1.2 Mhz, Via kt133 chipset) I was able to get a stable system by turning off AGP 4x in the bios. By doing this I was able to get up times measured in weeks instead of minutes or hours. The stability vs performance tradeoff was well worth it. I gave up 50 frames/sec under glxgears.

This was with a Geforce 3. I also tested this with a Quadro 750 and had the same results.

Jeff
jschellhaass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-04, 05:03 PM   #19
utanja
Debian All the Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschellhaass
On an Abit KT7A-RAID (AMD Athlon 1.2 Mhz, Via kt133 chipset) I was able to get a stable system by turning off AGP 4x in the bios. By doing this I was able to get up times measured in weeks instead of minutes or hours. The stability vs performance tradeoff was well worth it. I gave up 50 frames/sec under glxgears.

This was with a Geforce 3. I also tested this with a Quadro 750 and had the same results.

Jeff
my up time is months.....never had a crash once i configure everything properly...

if toastyX is so concerned....maybe he is not ready to go Linux and should stay with M$oft....
- Goethe, Maximen und Reflexionen
Intel 3I-core 2d.gen -3.1GHz;8 gig ram;PureDebian SID[3.2[custom kernel] 8 Debian workstations
plus HP Win7 64bit Wireless Laptop Network/Citrix/NX/VMware
Mozilla/Firebird browsers
my american friends call me tonya
utanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-04, 06:38 PM   #20
energyman76b

Hi,
nvidia works flawless for me.

Kernel 2.6.8-rc1 (and earlier) with io-apic, acpi, 4k stacks (only since the 6106 driver release) mregparm (where it was an option), usb1&2 enabled, using onboard lan, no fancy xorg.conf options.

energyman@energy ~ $ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status
Driver: AGPGART
AGP Rate: 8x
Fast Writes: Enabled
SBA: Enabled

Board: K7S8X from ASROCK with SiS 746FX chipset
CPU: Athlon Xp 2000+ Pm core
RAM: 512MB, Samsung 1x, Siemens 1x
Graphic: Leadtek Winfast A340 T (I think ;o) Geforce Fx 5200, with Tv-out
Sound: enniah(?) soundcard with cmedia 8738-mc6 chip
Monitor: IBM P200
SCSI: Adapctec 2944
TV-Card: Terratec TV+

Vesa-fb is enabled and does not have any probs. gcc is 3.4.1. glibc some devel version, distri is gentoo.

EDIT: I am playing some heavy 3d games and restarted X just yesterday more than once.. no problems, no Sir. But, I have to admit that the bios of the card supports less resolutions in text mode (not fb), the the gf4mx440 it replaced. I suspect, that buggy board&card bios are the cause of a lot of problems.

Last edited by energyman76b; 07-30-04 at 06:49 PM.
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-04, 02:55 AM   #21
ToastyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuLinUX
Well if you ask the qustion and dont believe me why ask at all?
I didn't say I don't believe you. What I meant was I have a hard time believing you based on my own experiences, but I want to believe you. All I want to know is how can I be sure, but that seems to be a stupid question so just forget about it. I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
I really do wonder what the big issue is, and some people have got some kind of messed up config to have the problems they have.
You make it seem like you believe the NVIDIA driver is perfect and that anyone who experiences a problem must have a messed up configuration or doesn't know what they're doing. Just because you don't experience a problem doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist.

Quote:
My setup has always been extreemly stable in Linux but if you dont believe me then thats your problem.
That's good then. Your feedback is appreciated. I will keep your configuration in mind, although I'm starting to consider an Intel system based on the replies in this thread.
ToastyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-04, 03:00 AM   #22
ToastyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbob
Do the research, make a decision, live with the consequences. Don't hold other people accountable for your decisions.
That's what I'm doing here, research. I want to know what works for other people because whatever I choose doesn't seem to work properly. I don't plan on holding other people accountable for my decision if it doesn't work out.
Old 07-31-04, 03:30 AM   #23
ToastyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by utanja
my up time is months.....never had a crash once i configure everything properly...

if toastyX is so concerned....maybe he is not ready to go Linux and should stay with M$oft....
...another fine example of "it works for me so you must have a messed up configuration or you don't know what you're doing" syndrome. Just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone. A lot of people have reported similar problems. Are you suggesting they all have messed up configurations?

Also, in order to stay with something, don't I have to be with something in the first place? I don't do Windows. I haven't used Windows as my primary OS in years. It's not Linux that's the problem here. It's the NVIDIA driver. I've been using the NVIDIA driver since the 0.9 days. It seems each new version has become progressively worse in terms of stability on my hardware. Every time I take the NVIDIA driver out of the equation, things are perfectly stable, so either the NVIDIA driver is buggy or support for my hardware in the NVIDIA driver is buggy.
Old 07-31-04, 04:19 AM   #24
utanja
Debian All the Way

no...it is not a case of it works for me so everything is right.....i did have a few problems with the nvidia driver but after tweaking abit....i have had no problems...

i reading the data and install readme files...i noted that there could be problems with the Via boards....so....what does that tell you...

as you notice ....seems to be those with VIA chipset that have problems.....i have intel and SIS chipsets...and my up time is as stated in my earlier post....

finally,,,my comments just indicate that you seem very skeptical and cynical...so it is my personal opinion that you are a hard person to please and therfore perhaps should have remained with M$oft since the driver vase for Windoz is much larger ..

i am happy however to see that you are a Linux user although your postings imply that you have been continuously unhappy with Linux....my mistake perhaps my interpretation of the wording fails ...

- Goethe, Maximen und Reflexionen
Intel 3I-core 2d.gen -3.1GHz;8 gig ram;PureDebian SID[3.2[custom kernel] 8 Debian workstations
plus HP Win7 64bit Wireless Laptop Network/Citrix/NX/VMware
Mozilla/Firebird browsers
my american friends call me tonya
utanja is offline   Reply With Quote