Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-29-04, 01:49 PM   #13
Fatman

Send a message via ICQ to Fatman Send a message via AIM to Fatman
Default Re: Game patch sizes - out of control

I never had a problem with bug downloads. I've been on broadband since mid 2000, but even before that when I was on 56k i would just use GetRight and leave the big downloads over night. If necessary, during the day while I was at work. Having a separate line for the modem also helps. But I could never understand people saying "OMG its 50MB, that takes hours on 56k," just leave it downloading over night, problem solved.
Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-04, 02:24 PM   #14
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Problem is, what happens when you ALREADY have a big queue of things to download on a 56k? Hell, at one point I had 5 50+ megabyte files in Getright's download queue, that took a few days to download. But whenever a new version of Natural Selecction comes out, that gets priority over everything else, which basically renders my internet unusable for 12 hours or so. Not to mention it's annoying as hell getting in the mood to play a game, launching it, and basically getting a message saying "you have to spend 10 hours downloading a patch to keep playing this game", or at least that's what it sounds like to me!

Thank god I'm getting broadband on the 9th of next month, but still, even needing to spend 30 minutes to download a patch isn't a happy prospect. Wasn't there a Silent Hill 2 patch that was about 5k? Now THAT'S how big game patches should be :P
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-04, 03:21 PM   #15
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

I was surprised that a complex, vast game like Morrowind had very small patches (7-8MB). This was mainly because of the smart patcher system that actually patched files rather than substituting them.
XFX 9600GSO 384MB
Little freak wonder
msxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-04, 03:27 PM   #16
ynnek

heh thats true...

Remember the old Doom patchers? Those things would take like 30 mins of crunching to patch the files... and back then, it took about 30 mins to download 500k over a 2400 modem.. blah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msxyz
I was surprised that a complex, vast game like Morrowind had very small patches (7-8MB). This was mainly because of the smart patcher system that, actually patched files rather than substituting them.
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-04, 03:28 PM   #17
Galeo Deus

Uhhh... Who the hell has dial up anymore? I know only 1 person that does personally, and I know a lot of people.

In other words, who cares what the patch sizes are? I like how new content is added and stuff after release, i.e. the Battlefield series, etc.
::: 2x120 GB Western Digital SE (8 MB chache) :::
::: BFG 6800GT (425/1.05) :::
...::: Creative Audigy LS :::...
Galeo Deus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-04, 06:40 PM   #18
Elminster
Sage

Send a message via ICQ to Elminster Send a message via AIM to Elminster

I don't know if it will stay this way but WoW uses Blizzards own BitTorrent client to download patches. From my experience with it it goes extremly fast. I always get a solid 300-400KBps.
| ASUS K8VDeluxe | Athlon 64 3200+ | BFG 6800GT OC | Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer | NEC 8X Dual Layer DVD+/-R Burner | 2x250GB 7200 SATA | 2x250GB 7200 | 2x160GB 7200 | 2x120GB 7200 | 2x512MB DDR 3500 2-2-2-5 | 21" Sony Trinitron IBM P275 | 21" ViewSonic G810 | Creative Labs DTT3500 Dolby Digital 5.1 Sound System | Maxed out Dell XPS Gaming Laptop for easy portability | Medusa 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones |It is the doom of men that they never have enough wisdom until it is too late.
Elminster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-04, 07:38 PM   #19
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeo Deus
Uhhh... Who the hell has dial up anymore?
I do .. since the cable cost very much where i live , i cant use it although i can afford it for small periods like 1-2 months but i dont play MP so the price/use equation for the cable dosent suits me right now .

I completely agree with sat .. it takes me alot of my time just to download one of them huge patchs . actually i'm now in the process of downloading BF:V patch 1.4 & i'm in the second day right now !

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-04, 10:46 PM   #20
nvnews-reader

100 MB isn't much if you have a cable but I agree about publishers being cheepos. They need to provide a download site for their patches that you don't need to signup or pay to use. At least Nvidia has a fast DL site but not for all games :<

And Elminster, I'm not sure what your avatar is but it's disturbing.
nvnews-reader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-04, 10:59 PM   #21
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvnews-reader
100 MB isn't much if you have a cable but I agree about publishers being cheepos. They need to provide a download site for their patches that you don't need to signup or pay to use. At least Nvidia has a fast DL site but not for all games
Or the devs need to pay places like Fileplanet or 3DGamers to host those patches. They buy ads so there's no reason they can't kick in a little extra for some dedicated bandwidth.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-04, 03:01 PM   #22
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom
its been my opinion that programmers have been slacking off a LOT for a while now. it seems like theyve been focusing mostly on the engine and eye candy, and sacrifice stability and playability, all to meet a deadline. i think that if they spend a little more time on fixing bugs instead of trying to reach a deadline, most games would probably run a lot better with fewer bugs (DUH). i think that games like doom3 and halflife, which have been in serious development for a while, will run incredibly well, with very few bugs (or relatively few bugs).
heh, well, with that mentality, Duke Nukem Forever is going to be the most stable, bug free, beautiful game EVER.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-04, 03:15 PM   #23
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
heh, well, with that mentality, Duke Nukem Forever is going to be the most stable, bug free, beautiful game EVER.
It damn well better be, or else it WILL be a disapointment! It also better be the longest, most immersive, greatest story, and best featured game ever made. We need more games that have been in development for 10 years like Battlecruiser...oh wait...
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-04, 03:17 PM   #24
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
It damn well better be, or else it WILL be a disapointment! It also better be the longest, most immersive, greatest story, and best featured game ever made. We need more games that have been in development for 10 years like Battlecruiser...oh wait...
hahahaha
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote