Windows XP Pro SP3 - ForceWare 190.62
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- PlayStation 3 (EU 60GB) - 250GB -
PSN: Lalander
Lalander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 08:27 AM   #110
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel
Default Re: ~ Official Doom3 Feedback Thread ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvnews-reader
How do you run the time demo? I saw it somewhere but I can't find it now.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33782
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 08:43 AM   #111
jbirney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalander
These guys are working on one http://coop.doom3maps.de/

Not finished though...
TY!
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 09:37 AM   #112
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

well... here's my opinion of the game in a nut-shell (a VERY big nutshell)

got the game last evening courtesy of my gf and the EB in round rock where she works (I am in austin proper and they were sold out here )

i have not played with ultra texture settings yet (for obvious reasons) but what i have seen with high and my AA and AF @ 4xAA/16xAF (I forgot to change it in the CP before playing) and I am gonna say Far Cry rules this game wrt visuals any day of the week... and twice on sunday...

the shadows are excellent... a coupla issues with em but for the most part w/o a doubt the best shadows and atmosphere I have seen.. the audio effects are also VERY good... if anyone does play this game do so with surround sound

anyways back to graphics... very under-whelming after all the hype IMO... to me the game is playable through to 1600x1200 though the mins start dipping a lot more

fyi tip for higher fps... fps with flashlight == about 5 fps less on average than w/o flashlight (note: you can barely see anything w/o the flashlight )

story? I am still looking for an original story... thus far it is basically half-life again with better graphics... annoyingly enough...

I'm not gonna give away any plot details but I am firmly of the opinion this is the most over-hyped game EVER... perhaps until half-life2 comes out and fails to inspire in a similar fashion... doom3 has set the bar in that respect SO high though that HL2 has got to really really stink in order to match this game...

perhaps if carmack had endeavored to put a little more into the game besides pretty shadows (ok ok... the audio rocks) it might have some redeeming value...

as it stands I fail to see how anyone who has downloaded the game will be inclined to purchase this... cept for the shadows (and the kickass audio effects)...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 10:12 AM   #113
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

So far my opinion of the game goes along the same lines as Sazar. This is the main reason why hype sucks. It’s a sad fact that its mostly the reason so many ppl have been interested in this game so much, including myself who once vowed not to play it.

The game itself does an excellent job at what they're trying to achieve, one of the most terrifying game experiences ever experienced but, this should by no means be considered the greatest game ever. Maybe we've gotten so used to high rez textures & high poly counts that we're spoiled but even running @ 16*12 using "high quality" settings there were several textures & models that look a bit dated. Seeing as the main problem is we're limited by today's h/w, I guess there has to be a trade-off someone where: Real-time shadows/low rez textures/low poly counts vs. precalculated shadows/high poly counts/high rez textures. Regardless of all this, Doom3 is still the most "realistic" game ever released, thanks of course to the use of real-time shadows "everywhere" that allow characters to cast shadows on themselves. Just wish we had 512mb or 1gig vid cards that could "afford" to have higher rez textures & higher poly counts thrown into the midst. The U3 engine should remedy that in the coming yrs though.

For anyone who doesn't have the game yet, don't let these comments deter you. Graphics as we all know are only part of the story, it’s the game play + sound that make it a GOTY contender. I think the thing that most exciting is all the mods currently in development and of course the games that will be built using this awesome engine. Can't wait

Btw, can't wait for HL2. Have a feeling this has put Valve on overdrive. Sept 2004 anyone?
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 10:15 AM   #114
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

It think higher resolution textures are perfectly capable on todays hardware.. I get INSANE framerates with everything maxed 4x/8x. I think with a little texture compression, mixed in with some higher resolution textures. We would of had better graphics. The graphics are good, but some of the low resolution textures are getting to me.
Old 08-03-04, 10:20 AM   #115
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
The graphics are good, but some of the low resolution textures are getting to me.
Exactly. The game is awesome but if there's a con it has to be the textures.
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 10:34 AM   #116
Seoulstriker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar
story? I am still looking for an original story... thus far it is basically half-life again with better graphics... annoyingly enough...

Don't you mean Doom again??
Seoulstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-04, 10:41 AM   #117
Torquemada XP
Overlimit

Doom 3

TEH GOOD
- Interior and creature graphics are terrific, as are the lighting and shadows
- Nice ragdoll physics
- Ambience and atmosphere is genuinely creepy and at times outright frightening
- Voiceovers aren't cheesy, sound FX are awesome
- Revamped versions of the classic Doom weapons, even the chainsaw
- Blasting zombified Marines and monsters with the shotgun is very satisfying, but not so much with the other weapons -- lotsa good gore
- Save anywhere
- Good pacing, not a constant slaughter
- Plays very well on lower-end video cards (still playing on my 9800 Pro)
- Good configuration options
- Only 3 CDs, installs very quickly

TEH BAD
- Boring, boring, boring. I am fully aware that it's Doom, the kind of gameplay it would have, but come ON...kill monsters, find card keys, open doors, proceed to next area in which you kill monsters, find card keys, open doors, etc.? Even the "cutscenes" don't do much to break up the boredom
- Plotline is typical "crazed scientist tries to wield immense power but cannot control it, everything runs amok, blah blah"
- Weapon sounds are weak, lacking "punch"
- The humans' skin is a greyish color and looks artificial
- Many times it's easy to anticipate the next surprise encounter, and that detracts from the suspense
- Lack of extensive interactivity and object physics, such as the majority of glass does not breaking, even when hit by rockets or the BFG
- Corpses dissolve after death, as do bullet holes and plasma burn marks
- Weak multiplayer options

OVERALL
Doom 3 is entertaining, albeit boring and repetitive; still, it's a welcome break from the brightly-colored world of Far Cry. It's grittier and achieves its aim of being scary while catering to the sharpened fangs of FPS veterans. But in the end, the main purpose of Doom 3 seems to be to show off the power and ability of a high-end system more than it is to provide solid entertainment.

RATING (out of 5)
Graphics: 4
Sound: 4 (weapon sounds notwithstanding)
Gameplay: 2
Value: 3
Overall Score: 3.25
Torquemada XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 10:48 AM   #118
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Default Re: Disappointed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by msxyz
No trolling, just facts. I'm not talking abut the game per se, rather its engine.
The lighting is great but the number of polygon is way too low for a modern game (look at Unreal2/UT200x for comparsion) and the surfaces quality is really poor. I've seen Quake3-based games with better textures.

It makes me wonder if this is the price to pay to have realistic, real-time shadows. I took this shot yesterday. Detail level was set to "quality", no specular.
I noticed the low res texture on that panel too. Ofcourse you zeroed in the THE lowest res texture in the entire game and posted it as a "typical" example. That texture seems to be an anomaly by the map creator since 99% of the textures in the game are higher res than that.

I wouldn't be suprised if on average the texture maps in Farcry are higher res than Doom 3, but thats not the point. Carmack took a whole different approach with the engine than the "more textures, more polys" mentality of the crytek and unreal teams. In those engines, most surfaces just have one texture map on them (yes I know Farcry has bump mapping in places, but most surfaces aren't). In Doom 3 almost every surface has a texture, specular and bump map. Thats three times as much texture data required per surface as with a normal engine. They COULD have put enough texture data in Doom 3 that the textures looked just as high res as Farcrys, however you would need a 384 meg card to run it in normal detail, 768 meg to run it in high, and a 1.5 gig card to run it ultra-high settings.

There will always be a trade off between flat high res texture surfaces, and lower res, bumpmapped and specular mapped surfaces. Its simply how you choose to spend the texture memory that you have. With Doom 3 the intent was to create a scary atmosphere so it made sense to concentrate more on shadows and lighting.

----

Anyway, for my review:

The game appears to be CPU limited on my PC. The framerate bounces around between 30 and 60 FPS. I tried lowering the res to 800x600 and it did squat to the frame rate. I have it running in high quality in 1024x768, 4Xaa, 4Xaf, on a 6800 GT, 1.5 meg of ram, and a P4 2.4 overclocked to 2.8. I've had no problems with my system being overclocked, I may even try bumping the CPU up a little further.

I personally think the graphics look awesome, but the sound is just as good. The two work together in such a way as they create a very atmospheric and immersive gaming experience, unlike any game i've played. The best graphics are on some of the machinery in the labs, I sometimes forget that i'm really watching a realtime rendering and not some pre-rendered thing. The enemies are nasty and I almost crapped my pants the first time I encountered a pinky demon and its ramming the door trying to get at me. The animation and behavior of the creatures really does a good job of making them seem incredibly aggressive and eager to slash you to pieces.

Its not a perfect game though, and there are a couple of things to mention...

The puzzles mostly consist of retrieving a PDA to get a code for a door. Although it hasn't bothered me yet, I am sure this will seem repetative the second time I play the game through.

The enemies are a little dumb, and not just the zombies. Sometimes you can deal with an imp by putting a pipe, box, edge of a wall between you and it, if you get it in the right spot it will just keep throwing fireballs and never hit you. The creatures are definately smarter than a game like Painkiller, but not quite as smart as those in Farcry.

The fact that you can't hold a weapon and the flashlight at the same time hasn't bothered me yet, though I see how it could. I'm sure the first community created mod will be the "ducttape" mod that allows you to tape your flashlight to the shotgun. Speaking of the flashlight, it looks cool, but its not a real light source (it doesn't cast shadows)... theres probably a console setting for that somewhere.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 10:54 AM   #119
Vash
Angel Arms

Had a little time to think about it...

Played it for about 2.5 hours last night and had fun, once I got the settings right. It's not anything earth-shattering, but I wasn't really expecting that. id invented the FPS, and they don't seem to be interested in moving much beyond run and gun.

That said, they've definitely got run and gun down to an art form. There is something to be said for a simple, run and gun FPS, and there also seems to be a kind of "id touch" - that is, while the gameplay is in the simple vein, it is more compelling (for me) than, say, Painkiller. And the mods for this game are going to rock.

I'm happy with it. Hopefully that will remain the case as I play through, but I don't see it really letting me down. Bring on HL2, Halo 2 and STALKER!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 12:08 PM   #120
Krakn3Dfx

This game scares the living hell out of me. I dunno, maybe I'm just a wuss, I watch alot of gore horror movies and I've seen some pretty decent horror movies where it's what you don't see that scares you, and Doom 3 to me is like being in that kind of movie, where you have no idea what's around the next corner. Sure, it's a cornball plot, contrived to fit loosely around the original Doom, but that's okay, because I remember a few parts of Doom where the lights all went out and you had to fight it out in the dark, and back then it made me a little jumpy too.

I personally think the game is outstanding. I just received my own copy this morning, but I played it over the weekend at a friend's office building here in town with about 9 other guys. I got to spend about 90 minutes total playing it myself, and I thought the coolness factor was definitely up there. Some people are annoyed by the fact that you can't hold the flashlight and the gun at the same time. I gotta say, I think if you could, it would detract from the fear factor of the game. Besides, you can't hold the flashlight with all the weapons obviously, and if Carmack had have made some executive decision about which weapons were flashlight compatible and which weren't that would have pissed some people off too. Could have had a light in his helmet, sure, but I think that would have totally detracted from the atmosphere of the game. A flashlight limited by battery power that you could use with any weapon might have been a good idea, but I tend to think the guys at id are probably 5 steps ahead of all of us, thought of all these things, and probably tried them all out and realized for one reason or another that they would take away from the fun of going mad trying to find out if there's a zombie lurking in the corner in front of you while the wall opens up behind you and one shambles out. Gotta figure that 5 years is a long time to make gameplay decisions, and I'm sure they went over all the stuff we talk about half a dozen times before making a final decision on things like using a flashlight and gun at the same time.

Is it a perfect? No, I thought some of the character models were a little too bland with poly counts that were entirely too low. The mad scientist dude was the worst offender so far, his bald head looks like some sort of 60s robot head. I'm sure there are other issues, some people think run-and-gun is boring, some people think having to be 100% on the defensive is draining and frustrating (I thought Serious Sam was 100 times worse than Doom 3 when it came to this though, and I still loved the Serious Sam games).

Just thought I'd throw in my thoughts. Oh, I thought Gamestop was giving out the Pinky figurine, but I got the Baron of Hell. Still pretty cool looking though .
Krakn3Dfx is offline   Reply With Quote