Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-03-04, 12:48 PM   #121
svetli_pp

Default Re: ~ Official Doom3 Feedback Thread ~

Well guys I feel obliged jump in this forum although I don't have the game yet. I think you miss something, when complaining about low res textures. Because you've bought 500$ vidcards does not mean you'll be capable to juice everything from Doom3. ID told you that for Ultra you need 512MB on you card, and I don't think they lie about that. Just the game engine is adaptive I suppose and it adjusts settings acording to your hardware. I've read in other forums people claiming they play with MX440 1024 High and complain it looks bad. Even heard there is an option in menu to allow adaptive detail. Maybe the abyss in opinions about graphics stems in my suppositions. I am not sure. Tell what you think.
svetli_pp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 01:06 PM   #122
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

I have a Radeon 9800 pro 256MB, I can run the game 1280x1024, Ultra, 16XAF, smoothly

Now my thoughts on the game now I have it..

Definitely not what I expected it to be. Actually its the exact opposite...

I expected Super graphics, and average gameplay, but Instead I got Really fun/addicting gameplay, OK graphics, And Im very happy about it!!

FarCry can keep its super fancy graphics with all those features, its gameplay is mediocre at best.
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 02:12 PM   #123
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

The flashlight most certainly DOES cast shadows and is a real light source. If you look closely enough you can tell. It's difficult to see the shadows it casts because of your perspective.

I'm still dumbfounded by all the complaining I'm seeing here. I've played Far Cry a ton, and to me it doesn't look any better than UT2K4 or Serious Sam with the exception of some nice pixel shader effects. Outdoors, it sports extremely low res textures with detail maps and tons of foliage, along with really noticeable mipmaps even with high anisotropic filtering. Ambient lighting and the occasional gun or rocket blast is all you get here, along with standard character shadows that are in no way influenced by other light sources. Same story indoors, only higher-res textures with "shiny" effects on EVERYTHING, and which only works on DX9 video cards. All of Doom 3's effects work with GF3 and up with the exception of heat haze. The reason many of the textures are low-res is because they don't need to be high res due to the specular highlights, so disabling specular to judge the textures is simply moronic.

Of course the actual gameplay is up in the air. Personally, I find it to be a great combination of thinking ahead and all-out guns blazing. There is room for tactics and mindless slaughtering.

Saying Far Cry looks better than this is of course a subjective statement since Far Cry is indeed more colorful and some people like that more, but to suggest Far Cry's engine is more advanced is simply ignorant.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 02:15 PM   #124
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
....but to suggest Far Cry's engine is more advanced is simply ignorant.
Actually on paper, yes it is but, in realtime the experience is a whole different story all together
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 02:24 PM   #125
lIqUID
whip yo ass!

Im disappointed by the graphics a little. The lighting and all is great, Im sure many great games will come from this engine. I cant believe people find this game "scary" LOL...... IMO not worth the $50 or whatever it costs, well not to me at least.
lIqUID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 02:25 PM   #126
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by |JuiceZ|
Actually on paper, yes it is but, in realtime the experience is a whole different story all together
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman26
Saying Far Cry looks better than this is of course a subjective statement since Far Cry is indeed more colorful and some people like that more...
Which is why I qualified my statement with that. Doom 3's engine is much more advanced than the CryTek engine, and this is an undebatable fact.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 08-03-04, 02:27 PM   #127
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lIqUID
I cant believe people find this game "scary" LOL......
I can agree here. It's not a complaint, as I wasn't expecting to be scared, but while the atmosphere is creepily palpable, I haven't jumped once while playing the game. The original Doom still freaks me out though, go figure
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 08-03-04, 03:08 PM   #128
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Ninjaman, FarCry indoors look as good, if not better than dooms... However, Doom3's engine is much more elegant, in its design, as Nv40 stated, but in all honesty, FarCry supports many more features than Dooms renderer, such as HDR, 3DC, Parallax Mapping, SM3.0 etc.. and FarCry has Real time lighting and shadowing as well, if implimented properly.
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-04, 04:37 PM   #129
aAv7

Maybe it's because of all the hype....maybe its because i came home with a horrible stomach ache and a fever last night and still have both...maybe it's because i'm too in love with far cry but this game is a huge dissapointment imho. I'm not one for simply graphics. But let me say when I spend $400 on a video card-I do want great graphics....otherwise i'd still be using a ti4200 (nothing wrong with using a ti4200 to u ti owners out there)

Graphically the game is in the top 5 out there. But I remember back when Unreal 2 and doom 3 were supposed to go head to head....well after playing both-unreal 2 def. still holds it's own graphically...story and gameplay are another thing. Sure doom 3 has better shadowing, but textures wise...their identical. Doom 3 monsters have more detail, but enviorments wise...man...what happened here.

I dont like the controls of doom 3..their your basic stuff, but the gun feels too loose. And I feel like Michael Jordan everytime I press jump.

Story-wise...this has the strongest story for a doom game-but that isnt saying much.

It's not a horrible game. But the way I look at it, if every game hyped like this, such as HL2, stalker, vampires-ended up like this...i'd be very dissapointed. Just not enough here to keep me happy. Again, it's a decent game, but I was expecting so much more and alot of different things. Maybe that's my fault for expecting too much out of the game. I dunno.

Hopefully HL2 will ship this year, because if it does, imo it still holds a great chance of being goty. So long as it plays as impressive as it seems to. Dont look @ the avatar and assume im a strictly hl2 fan-if i was, I wouldnt of pre-ordered and bought doom 3 feeling as crappy as I do. All i'm saying is in my eyes, this is one of the first games i've been anticipating that didnt live up to the hype.

I will say though, I like the multiplayer mode. Not as bad as I thought it would be...only 4 players makes things a bit more intense...you really gotta sneak up around corners and what not.

The game is still worth the $$ tho, simply because I know the tons of mods that will be made will make this a very enjoyable purchase. Maybe the modders can make a game similar to doom 3-showing carmack what we thought we were getting.
[SIZE="1"][B]CPU:[/B] AMD64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.2 [B]RAM:[/B] 2GB Kingston Dual Channel DDR 400 [B]Motherboard:[/B] Gigabyte K8 Triton nForce4 [B]VideoCard:[/B] eVGA GeForce 7800GTX 512MB [B]Hard Drive:[/B] WD 250GB Sata [B]OS:[/B] Dual boot, Windows XP Home/Windows Professional x64 Edition Retail[B] Audio:[/B] X-Fi Xtreme Music [B]Mouse:[/B] Logitech MX 310 [B]PSU:[/B] 500W Ultra Connect (34A on the 12V+)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][B]Xbox 360:[/B] w/ Intercooler @ 1280x1024 , Dynasty Warriors 5, Fight Night Round 3, Kameo, NBA 2K6, Perfect Dark Zero CE, and PGR 3[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][/SIZE]
aAv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 04:55 PM   #130
jnd3
Sword Saint

Send a message via AIM to jnd3 Send a message via Yahoo to jnd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by |JuiceZ|
"In realtime the experience is a whole different story."

What? You said "all together"!

Ugh. So now the question is this: do I go out and buy it now, or do I wait the few short days until the b-day arrives (hopefully carrying Doom3 with it)?

Mobile: Apple PowerBook 12" // PowerPC G4 1.33 GHz // 1.25 GB PC2700 // GeForce FX 5200Go 64 MB // 60 GB // OS 10.4.10

Gaming: XBox 360 Premium // Samsung LNS2651D // Wireless Networking Adapter // SwordSaintJND3
jnd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 06:36 PM   #131
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

Wait for ur b'day... Milk it for all it's worth...
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 06:49 PM   #132
ja18

i think the game turned out awesome, although i agree th at the textures could have been better. The sound quality is excellent, i would highly recommend anyone who plays this game uses 5.1 surround it is truly worth it. I didnt think the game would be as scary, but after playing for a few hours i changed my mind, the monsters themselves arent scary but the enviornment doom 3 takes place in is rather chilling. scenes where the monsters launch at you or just pop out of nowhere are the best ones, they get your heart pumping. Graphics i think are excellent, specially the explosion effects and how the bodies desintergrate after you shoot a monster. overall this is on hell of a game, that will improve even more with time, with the addition of mods like the co oop, etc.
ja18 is offline   Reply With Quote