Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-03-04, 07:07 PM   #133
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: ~ Official Doom3 Feedback Thread ~

been playing for the past coupla hours...

I have come to the conclusion that doom 3 might be a decent stress relieving tool... simply fire up the game and go through a few similar looking levels... shoot some monsters... stress relieved...

the game does add nice atmosphere.. i spose I'm just not a very jumpy person (or I spose I know when the little buggers are munching @ my soul ) coz I haven 't been surprised by any of the monsters yet...

I do find the shotgun to be quite a pleasant surprise

its a nice weapon and plays better than I expected... I do wish I could remap the USE key to something else though if anyone has links to change it from the primary fire button to something else please hook me up
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 08:06 PM   #134
killahsin

Wow, been playing through it today. All I have to say is

BRAVO id
For years people said after losing certain key developers that id lacked the talent to create a REAL single player experiance. Well I have to say. I have NOT ever jumped this much playign a game, or have been so mentally drained, since my fiorst time playing Half-Life. When that first head crab jumped out at you in the air vent. This game has wowed me.

I thought for a long time, I have just become jaded torwards single player games. But wow........I thought I would never play a game again that made me feel like a 12 year old school kid running home to play a game. This game is intense, and very much story driven. The fact that they don't force the story onto you either. But you can learn and read it and get hints by searching out key items. Little bonus's here and there for the level explorers who want to try and find every, 'secret'. Awesome voice acting.

God i am just impressed. So so very impressed.

Wow

Bravo id for a TRUE single player game experiance.
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 08:07 PM   #135
faraday

I must have some problem in my eyes...I think this is by far the best looking game (overall) ever. Ok I also did notice the low poly models (lol square heads, and those coca-cola cans made me laugh) and some textures that seemed out of half life 1, but overall, the look, it blows anything out there away (yes, even farcry in my opinion), but maybe I'm just blind, and also I dont care much about looking into detail, it's the normal playing experience that I evaluate, not staring at 5 cm from a texture.

still I can understand some people are dissapointed with the game, but consider this, how will games based on this engine look?

I can see Final Fantasy (the movie) graphics quality in a 5 years or less... yep...not that far now

or maybe I'm just day-dreaming :P
faraday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 08:19 PM   #136
Son Goku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar
anyways back to graphics... very under-whelming after all the hype IMO... to me the game is playable through to 1600x1200 though the mins start dipping a lot more
I can't comment, as I don't have the game yet. I do wonder if part of this might have to do with it having taken so long to get out. Dunno though, as I don't know what was developed when. Had it come out last year or so?

Quote:
i have not played with ultra texture settings yet (for obvious reasons) but what i have seen with high and my AA and AF @ 4xAA/16xAF (I forgot to change it in the CP before playing) and I am gonna say Far Cry rules this game wrt visuals any day of the week... and twice on sunday...
This might make a differene, can anyone comment who has seen these? Unfortunately, if Saz's computer can't run them...yes I really need an upgrade
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 08:51 PM   #137
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel17
FarCry supports many more features than Dooms renderer, such as HDR, 3DC, Parallax Mapping, SM3.0 etc.. and FarCry has Real time lighting and shadowing as well, if implimented properly
As I said before, complaints are largely unfounded. Far Cry absolutely does not support the kind of lighting that Doom 3 does, and all the supposed features you mentioned are simply DirectX 9.0 extensions. Doom 3 uses OpenGL so none of the above applies. Many or all of the DirectX/proprietary extensions you listed above (3DC is ATIs proprietary texture compression method and does not work on nVidia cards) are more or less duplicated or surpassed by the Doom 3 engine. Shader Model 3.0 wouldn't make a damn bit of difference in an OpenGL game. Anyone who has actually played Doom 3 as opposed to just looking at screenshots would tell you that it far surpasses Far Cry in both image quality, frame rate, and fun factor.

Again the nay-sayers ignore the gargantuan advantage Doom 3 enjoys over Far Cry...try running Far Cry on a DirectX 8.0 card like the Geforce 4 Ti series or the Radeon 8500. Oh crap, there goes EVERY SINGLE FEATURE the game has other than lightmaps and detail textures. Specular highlights? Nope! SM 3.0? Sorry! Turn on the flashlight and the effect amounts to little more than the room getting a little brighter. Doom 3 looks the same, whether on a Geforce 6800 Ultra or a Geforce 4 MX, which is little more than a Geforce 2 with pixel shader support. The only difference is heat haze support, which is not particularly noticeable anyway. You all seem to forget that though a lot of us have high-end equipment, many more people have mid- to low-end computers and can't even run Far Cry. These people will, however, be able to run Doom 3.

I'm tired of defending the game against ignorance. If you just plain don't like the game, like ultimate17 for example, I couldn't care less. But people who don't have the game yet are reading these posts and may miss out on an extremely fun experience because of the misinformation being posted here.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 08:57 PM   #138
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Doom3 is the best game i played since FarCry . definitly worth the time & the hype IMO .
the graphics are superb .. to me it looks far more better than FarCry's indoors .
the sounds are awesome even in my stereo speakers

the AI is decent & the weapons are cool! .. just my style .

i'm sure the engine has more potential than this .. just wait for the upcoming games thats going to use D3 engine & see .. just like how Q3 engine amazed us in games like CoD & ST:EF2 .

Good work id !

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 09:01 PM   #139
Vapor Trail
the way out,is the way in

I really don't understand what others are seeing here. The visuals in Doom 3 blow away Farcry Painkiller, UT2004 and everything else.

Ok maybe a few textures are more simple than the others, but each room is amazingly detailed. Every room seems real and not like a computer generated box like all these other games. Cabinets, fixtures, lights everything seems real. You actually feel like you are on a base on Mars.

Lets not even begin to discuss the smoke, fire and heat effects or the awesome weapon effects. (The smoke effect on the shotgun is really well done.) How about the weapon damage effects on the bodies or the melting corpse effects???

The quality of the monsters I've seen so far are levels above the monsters in Farcry or Painkiller or any other game. No comparison at all.

The lighting is the most incredible thing and adds a whole dimension to the game and the sound is disturbingly well done. Great sounds for everything in the game. Walk up next to a pop machine and listen to the refrigerator hum.

Its amazing how polished this game is and how much attention was paid to every single item.

(BTW That screenshot posted earlier in the thread is terrible but only because the user is running in a very low setting or has botched the tga to jpg conversion very badly.

Go to Doom screenshot thread and check out some of the shots from people running in Ultra mode on the 6800.
Vapor Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 09:25 PM   #140
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Any idea where i can get the full version of Doom3's theme song ??

i looked into Doom3.com & only found the short version .

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-04, 10:03 PM   #141
nmyeti

The more I play the more I like it. Some of the sounds have me looking over my shoulder in the basement though. This is one seriously creepy game.

My HTPC/HDTV game box
MSI K8N Neo2 Plat, FX55, Thermalright XP-90, 1Gig OCZ PC3200 Plat rev2, PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510w, eVGA 6800 Ultra, eVGA NVTV, Windows Media Center 05
nmyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 10:28 PM   #142
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Just got to the Delta base, and I've got some more to say...

During the monorail ride, you get a good look at Doom 3's outdoor capabilities. Simply breathtaking, and way better than Far Cry. Sorry, but it's true.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 11:03 PM   #143
ClosetFanBoy
Thorazine shuffle

awesome! awesome! awesome! i dont know what else to say... i actually had one nitpick, but it was so trivial, i forgot what it was. heh. everything seems so crisp clean and clear, and the hair on the back of my neck has been standing up the whole time. thank you id! big round of applause.

iPhone junkie...
ClosetFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 11:05 PM   #144
Mr.Clawz950
Hi

I'd have to agree, Doom3 > FarCry. This is by far the best game I have ever played and the graphics are simply mind blowing. Not only that, but this is one creepy game. Certainly a good one to play in the dark with surround sound. After awhile you'll find yourself looking over your own shoulder.
System 1 : AMD X2 6400+ @ 3.4Ghz | ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe | 4GB OCZ PC6400 (2x2048) | Dual BFG GeForce 8800GTXs | Western Digital 74GB Raptor | Western Digital 250GB HDD | Lite-On 52x24x52 CD-RW | Memorex DVD-R | X-Fi Fatal1ty | Antec Plusview 1000AMG w/CoolMax 850Watt PSU | Windows Vista 64-bit | 20Mbps/2Mbps Cable

System 2 : AMD X2 5200+ @ 2.8Ghz | ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe | 4GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 (4x1024) | BFG GeForce 7800GTX | Western Digital 74GB Raptor | Western Digital 160GB HDD | Lite-On 52x24x52 CD-RW | Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS | Antec Plusview 1000AMG w/TruePower 550Watt PSU | Windows XP w/SP2 | 20Mbps/2Mbps Cable
Mr.Clawz950 is offline   Reply With Quote