Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-04-04, 10:05 PM   #169
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: Doom 3 feedback thread

Yeah, I'm out $55 - that fact alone is going to get me to finish this.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 10:13 PM   #170
Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku
Everything about the game feels very contrived and the graphics really aren't blowing me away. Again, these are just initial impressions and they are subject to change as I go forward, but so far (not) so good.
I'm always left wondering what people actually mean when they use the word contrived in this context. For one thing, what id game (or any FPS has not been contrived for that matter)? Contrived in the true sense that these games are very well thought out and planned for the most part. They're not meant to be "3D Hemingways" afterall. Also, one usually labels something as contrived only after having witnessed/read its conclusiong/ending.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 10:21 PM   #171
saturnotaku

Contrived was probably a bad choice of words. I think what I really wanted to say was that I wanted more out of this game than what I'm getting so far. As I said before, this is all subject to change as I progress further, but I'm not as "wowed" as I thought I would be. It's all very generic so far.
Old 08-04-04, 10:35 PM   #172
Clay

Quote:
Contrived was probably a bad choice of words. I think what I really wanted to say was that I wanted more out of this game than what I'm getting so far. As I said before, this is all subject to change as I progress further, but I'm not as "wowed" as I thought I would be. It's all very generic so far.
Ah ok gotcha. I've not progressed very far myself yet but from what others are saying it only gets better and better. Did you look at a lot of screenshots, video, etc prior to actually playing? I must admit that in doing so myself...that kinda damped it "slightly" for me from a "wow" factor. I didn't think it would but in hindsight I would rather have not looked at 4,000 screenshots and video files of gameplay.
Old 08-04-04, 10:36 PM   #173
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

games like this have a hard time, the users work up a big hype about them, and it is very hard to live up to at times. this can be a very bad thing at times because they expect everything and get the usual expected increase in graphics etc that makes them "just another game". even being a superior game to other games of the time will disappoint most. this is the only case in which a game lived up to and exceeded its hype IMO, and that's a tall order with such a major release.

never forget when i was waiting on the black thorn expansion pack for rainbow six (rogue spear)... it finally came out and i got it, i was so damn excited. i don't think i played it for a day before i was like this sucks and went back to playing rogue spear. same case scenerios with ghost recon and raven shield (raven shield especially, being the biggest let down of any game i've ever anticipated).

moral of the story: never listen to hype... instead of making the game better from anticipation, it sets your hopes high and messes up your chance to see the game in its full glory. how much differently would you think about doom3 if it were a game that was released with no warning by some new company with the name "put them demons back where dey came frum" lmao.

honestly, what they did is impressive and to be in awe of certainly; doom3 has its own style of eye candy, and one that is oh so sweet. the game style is a bit new and revolutionary as well... sure we've seen the scary games like resident evil, and we've seen the movies that explain similar instances of the game, but this game is fresh; and had it been from some off company with no prior hype and change the name, it would definitely hit the headlines and quickly become the best game out until now. because of all of the hype and the big label coming out with a new engine etc, people are making claims like "farcry is better". you honestly think you'd say that if it wasn't idsoftware? you can lie to me all you like, but i feel i know the majority of people would love it; and those that hated it would just hate it because they don't like change.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 10:42 PM   #174
Barrok

^^^**** CAN I GET AN AMEN!!!!!!! *******^^^
Barrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 10:45 PM   #175
saturnotaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
Did you look at a lot of screenshots, video, etc prior to actually playing? I must admit that in doing so myself...that kinda damped it "slightly" for me from a "wow" factor. I didn't think it would but in hindsight I would rather have not looked at 4,000 screenshots and video files of gameplay.
I didn't to be quite honest. I tried to avoid as much stuff about D3 as possible. Hell, I didn't even look inside this particular forum until the game was in my hot little hands. I only watched a few movies, but I tried not to let the hype get to me.

There is no denying that D3 is truly advanced graphically, and JC and company have done a marvelous job with it. But in terms of overall gameplay I'm just not impressed so far. Far Cry had much more of a wow factor for me when I loaded it up.
Old 08-04-04, 10:59 PM   #176
Clay

Hmm, interesting. Far Cry impressed me graphically (anyone to say otherwise is a liar) no doubt about it. Doom 3 has impressed me graphically as well, it's different, but on the same level IMO. Now from a gameplay perspective I find Doom 3 to be much more intriguing, interesting etc (dare I say "fun") than I did Far Cry. To each his own.

Old 08-05-04, 04:43 AM   #177
Skrot
The 5900XT that could.

Send a message via ICQ to Skrot

Quote:
The environment, although it's not completely interactive, we try to leverage the ability of making parts of it interactive to make it matter from a gameplay standpoint. Not every box will be a physics object, but any box can be. There may a shelf with some boxes on it that [don't] move, but it's not really relevant to a path, then we may not turn those into physics object. Whereas, if we have a shelf with cardboard boxes on it and there's a demon behind it, then you shoot and the boxes move -- you're getting bang for your buck in terms of what you're spending your processor cycles on.
From here, by Todd Hollenshead. I reckon that's a pretty good exemplar of the way id thinks about keeping the performance of the game high, while still having an awesome looking game.

My hat's off to you, id. I am impressed beyond words at the Doom 3 engine, game design, and playability. Brilliant.
Skrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 09:29 AM   #178
gigapower

Send a message via AIM to gigapower

Finished the game last night, wow....just plain wow. I found it to be an awesome experience from beginning to end and I can't wait to play it again. From Delta Labs up until the very end the game is completely balls to the walls throwing everything its got at you to beat you down and make you cry like a little girl, needless to say it is most excellent!
Old 08-05-04, 10:03 AM   #179
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
As far as gameplay, I'm about 30-45 minutes in and my first impression is: I waited four years for this?!?! Everything about the game feels very contrived and the graphics really aren't blowing me away. Again, these are just initial impressions and they are subject to change as I go forward, but so far (not) so good.
yer not alone

once you get over the initial let-down (coz of hype rather than anything else I reckon) it is a decent mindless fragger... and looks fairly nice too...

I'm just having too much of a half-life deja-vu feeling still...

but I no longer detest doom3.. I'm like I paid for it... might as well finish it off

I reckon you'll likely feel a similar way after a few hours
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 11:12 AM   #180
Clay

<Disclaimer>
This is not directed at any one person. I was going to post this yesterday but didn't get to it so the close proximity to the above posts is purely coincidental. I'm not doubting the sincerity of specific individuals' opinions of Doom 3. Having said that, however, I'd like to state the following for some objective balance (especially to many of the newcomers/lurkers).
</Disclaimer>

Some people obviously (and many times discretely) question/doubt/criticize/toss stones about something (be it a game, hardware, etc) because it's en vogue or because it gives them a false sense of importance (ego boost) over the "mindless impressed masses". They do not do so based on any real merit or with much sincerity/integrity. Some people simply go against the grain no matter what the grain is.