Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-05-04, 11:39 AM   #181
Barrok

Default Re: Doom 3 feedback thread

^^^^^^^^^ AMEN ^^^^^^^^^^

I agree with Clay. We are quick to dislike the game because of its popularity and hype. I reckon we all do this. I enjoy it and it scares the crap out of me and that is what I payed for, Some good solid entertainment!
Barrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 12:24 PM   #182
aAv7

I dunno man, famous or not-this game sucks. =/ At least imo. Already uninstalled it off my pc until I see some mods worth trying. Just got tired of picking up pda's and shooting 4-6 monsters over and over. ID is stuck on the gameplay mentailty of 1993. Games need more than eye-candy to wow us nowadays. At least me. Even Far Cry-which I feel is a better game than doom 3 still has huge short coming....horrible voice overs-horrible story...it seems HL2 will be the one game to hopefully get it all right.....hopefully. So long as it makes it out this year.
[SIZE="1"][B]CPU:[/B] AMD64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.2 [B]RAM:[/B] 2GB Kingston Dual Channel DDR 400 [B]Motherboard:[/B] Gigabyte K8 Triton nForce4 [B]VideoCard:[/B] eVGA GeForce 7800GTX 512MB [B]Hard Drive:[/B] WD 250GB Sata [B]OS:[/B] Dual boot, Windows XP Home/Windows Professional x64 Edition Retail[B] Audio:[/B] X-Fi Xtreme Music [B]Mouse:[/B] Logitech MX 310 [B]PSU:[/B] 500W Ultra Connect (34A on the 12V+)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][B]Xbox 360:[/B] w/ Intercooler @ 1280x1024 , Dynasty Warriors 5, Fight Night Round 3, Kameo, NBA 2K6, Perfect Dark Zero CE, and PGR 3[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][/SIZE]
aAv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 12:44 PM   #183
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate17
horrible story
The original Half-Life I think spoiled a whole lot of first-person shooter fans by incorporating a very good storyline into the game. That's part of what made HL so innovative at the time.

Save for the really terrible ending, I honestly didn't think Far Cry's story was all that bad. It didn't feel as tacked on as say...Painkiller or even Doom 3. But an engaging story isn't what the vast majority of FPS games are all about simply because there isn't all that much you can do given the genre.

I do agree with you 100% on Far Cry's voice acting, it was awful.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 01:05 PM   #184
Barrok

Well, obviously everyone has there own opinion. There are many out there that will differ with the masses just to differ. I think Doom3 is a wonderfull game, graphically as well as gameplay but that is mostly because I have been drawn into it. I loved Far Cry for the first half of it, then i just used God Mode and went through the rest of the game just to see what happened and to stare at the graphics Far Cry was/is an amazing game, graphically as well as story wise, at least in my view. (granted the ending sucked) The biggest difference to me though, was Far Cry seemed like a chore, while Doom3 just scares the crap out of me. Both I will finish, and both have different reasons for me to quit early but when it comes down to it, both are great games. You cant tell me that far crys monsters are better than doom3's. The way doom3s jump along the wall etc, are ways that farcrys ugly modeled monsters never could even dream of doing. Doom3 will bring about the next generation of awesome fps's but because of its genre, there isnt that much left that can be done to make it revolutionary. I still think COD had the best single player game that I have played lately, and I am looking forward to seeing the sequel with the amazing doom3 engine, and it will bring tears to my eyes. Anyway thats my spam/rant.
Barrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 01:26 PM   #185
Pafet
GeForce 7900GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku
The original Half-Life I think spoiled a whole lot of first-person shooter fans by incorporating a very good storyline into the game. That's part of what made HL so innovative at the time.
GREAT STORYLINE!! Freak accident/scientist open a portal to another dimension/hell/evil alien planet, and it's up to you ALONE to save the world...
And don't forget to add some synthetic plot extenders

- Duke3D had the best story EVER
- 1993 gameplay rules!!
- HalfLife 2 will take the ingame story telling to a new level (seems that way from the... you know...)
- Doom 3 is a good game but the impact is nowehre near the impact of the original
- In COD you only need 2 buttons: forward and fire

* all IMO
Pafet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 01:58 PM   #186
Edge
3d animator for hire!

I think as far as first-person games go (note I don't say shooters), Breakdown on the Xbox probably has by far the best story and presentation I've seen so far. Deus Ex and System Shock 2 are close, but I never really stopped and went "wow" because of the story in them like I did in Breakdown. However it seems almost every major FPS has some kind of alien/mutant/demon invasion that you have to stop and are the only one that can do it, it kinda got cliched after the 10th or so FPS used that plot element. But that certainly doesn't mean the story in those games can't be good, it's just that usually games seem to use that as their main "plot" and don't develop it any further or have other elements to the story.

Oh well, I won't hold it against Doom 3 since it is just supposed to be a retelling of Doom 1, in fact I'm rather impressed at how well they've upgraded the setting (wouldn't really call it a "story" though). At least it isn't as horribly cliched and rediculous as Return to Castle Wolfenstien, it's like they played Wolfenstien, then they played Doom, and then thought "Hey, lets put these two togeather!".
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 02:53 PM   #187
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
At least it isn't as horribly clichéd and ridiculous as Return to Castle Wolfenstien, it's like they played Wolfenstien, then they played Doom, and then thought "Hey, lets put these two together!".
Yea really, those catacomb levels were just weird. I was like, what that got to do w/ WWII?

Newayz as far as Doom3 goes, ID really hit the nail on the head for the goal of this project & to retell the story of a game we played over a decade ago yet still keep it immersive & addicting, is a worthy achievement. It truly gets better & better the more you play & the mod community will more than make up the slack for the multiplayer side
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 02:57 PM   #188
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate17
I dunno man, famous or not-this game sucks. =/ At least imo. Already uninstalled it off my pc until I see some mods worth trying. Just got tired of picking up pda's and shooting 4-6 monsters over and over. ID is stuck on the gameplay mentailty of 1993. Games need more than eye-candy to wow us nowadays. At least me. Even Far Cry-which I feel is a better game than doom 3 still has huge short coming....horrible voice overs-horrible story...it seems HL2 will be the one game to hopefully get it all right.....hopefully. So long as it makes it out this year.
How does it seem HL2 will get all this right? Nothing concrete is known about it. It is vaporware at its finest. Judging by your Avatar and slant against D3 you're a big HL2 fan. ( even though you've never played it ). It's OK to like more than one game man! You don't have to latch onto one game and think the rest suck! You can play HL2 *and* D3 on the same computer! In the same day even!

Old 08-05-04, 02:57 PM   #189
CHEVYMAN_02
Running the Front Desk

Send a message via Yahoo to CHEVYMAN_02

Just got mine today. I love it so far. It is scary as H**L. The graphics are beautiful. I get 30 to 40 fps. It is great.
5GB DDR3
160GB
WIFI MIMO
Nvidia GeForce GT 335
Razer Abyssus Gamer Mouse

My Heatware
CHEVYMAN_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 03:03 PM   #190
jbirney

Quote:
Originally Posted by |JuiceZ|
It truly gets better & better the more you play & the mod community will more than make up the slack for the multiplayer side
Not to beat this down, but I have seen this posted over and over. And I agree it will happen. But, for my money, I don't think I should HAVE to count on the mod comunity to make the MP part work. This is ID, not some back alley 2bit developer. Since they started the craz I would expect them to hit a higher mark, and they just feel really flat on the MP. Usally for other games, the SP reals you in, but its the MP that makes you stay.....
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 03:48 PM   #191
evilchris

The MP works though. The games focus was SP. Everyone who followed the game at all knew that. I couldn't care less about MP D3, since I knew it was basically a SP game with MP support.
Old 08-05-04, 04:09 PM   #192
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEVYMAN_02
Just got mine today. I love it so far. It is scary as H**L. The graphics are beautiful. I get 30 to 40 fps. It is great.
i do think you have the longest sig of anyone i've ever seen, lol[/offtopic]
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote