Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-03-04, 07:05 PM   #49
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel
Default Re: Doom 3 pre-rendered "dynamic shadows" ?

get on irc sazar/jakup, we'll get to the bottom of this
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 07:09 PM   #50
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

kinda different... but strange also, shining a light on the shadow cast from the box... theres still a shadow?? I dont have mirc installed Tell me what to look for in multiplayer...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	7309  
Old 08-03-04, 07:13 PM   #51
CaptNKILL
CUBE

hey, i called it in my first post... gimme some credit
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 07:16 PM   #52
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
jAkUp]kinda different... but strange also, shining a light on the shadow cast from the box... theres still a shadow?? I dont have mirc installed Tell me what to look for in multiplayer...

the real angle of the flashlight/camera is not there ,where you see it. the hands and flahlight position that you can see in the camera are merely artistic. not diferent that the players aim. if you look him firing his weapon from thirdperson view (in any game),you will see that players are not pointing exactly to where you are really aiming. heck.. in some games the weapons floats in the air close to the player ,if you look them from thirdperson view.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 07:18 PM   #53
FierceDeityLink

Send a message via AIM to FierceDeityLink Send a message via MSN to FierceDeityLink Send a message via Yahoo to FierceDeityLink

Before (straight-on):

After (with the help of a friend):
Old 08-03-04, 07:55 PM   #54
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nv40
nice pictures..

anyone that says that softshadows are the "future" that hardedge shadows (stencil shadows) have no future.. show them this picture..

it clearly shows that real shadows are not limited to one way or another .they can be soft or hardedge(just like Doom3) or both ways in the same area ,just like the photo. Hardedge in the ground and "soft" behind the hill . notice the pitch black of the shadows. it all depends on the enviroment and how the light behaves there.
here is the problem with that pictures vis a vis doom 3... I am standing with teh light source not 2 feet from the object in question and its casting a shadow on a background several feet away...

the nasa shots concern a light source that is a heck of a lot farther away than a coupla feet therefore it is presumed that any shadows cast will be of this nature (ie with sharp edges)

the shots I have taken have at least 2 other light sources... were this to be the same case with the nasa shot than it would automatically have a slightly more diffused look to the edges...

wrt this topic I don't think its a big controversy or anything... I asked a genuine question from what I had seen in the game in a coupla spots... I assumed it to be more widespread than it really was and subsequent gameplay has proven this...

however it does indeed appear STILL that there are a few situations the shadows don't appear to be rendered correctly/or diffused correctly...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 06:58 AM   #55
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

oke, i am totally convinced that the lighting is properly dynamic after playing with 4 people and flashlights on my server, lol.

^^^ it even dips down into the "cracks" of the tile, which is amazing, because it's a flat surface with bumpmapping... they must have really paid attention to the lighting.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Old 08-04-04, 10:40 AM   #56
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

you sure about that

you know that one scientist guy with the light that guides you across the dark area... he has light shining through his arms

you can also see some NPC's Sam Fisher like 3 dot headset thingers through the edges of walls and stuff...

wrt to lighting there is no doubt they have paid attention to it

the areas where a lot of the NPC's jump out of are pitch black and the shadowing and textures look brilliant when looking @ it

I have not been too impressed with the bump-mapping other than those funkeh creatures in that one room (the worms hanging downall over) and one other bugger that looked like that... reminded me of the pipes and rocks in far cry

however the atmosphere is really good...

btw someone suggested wrt the flashlight that you can have it attached to the shotgun or something?

is this true?

Old 08-04-04, 11:19 AM   #57
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

No, but some people wish for it. Im glad you can't do it, because that would have made the game much less scaryer and too easy
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 11:28 AM   #58
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

there is some problems with the flashlight as far as it sometimes shining through walls etc, but that doesn't mean it's not dynamic; it just means that they have some problems with collision detection in clients. not that this ruins the game any, it only is noticable in multiplayer.

i got to thinking... i think they could have made the game better with the inventive use of fog... imagine going through the thick fog with the flashlight only being able to see like 5ft in front of you (add pitch black and it's necessary).

if there was (or is that i haven't gotten to yet) a part in doom3 like that, i really don't think i would be able to do it, lol.

i also thought it would have been cool to make the flashlight run out of batteries... either recharge while not using it, you you would need to occasionally pick up new batteries -- in order to keep you from using it too much, haha. that's evil.
Old 08-04-04, 11:35 AM   #59
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Sazar, it has been consistently proven to you again and again that you are imagining things. What the hell is wrong with you? Follow a damn sentry bot around and watch the shadows it casts. They're perfect. What makes you think that they would create extra models for EVERYTHING in the game JUST for the player's flashlight? That's completely retarded.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 11:36 AM   #60
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

frame rate woulda crashed and burned with the inclusion of fog...

the game for what it is works well with the elements it has...

flashlight to weapon switch though is getting annoying

BUT it makes it interesting when the bggers jump out