Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-04-04, 11:38 AM   #61
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg
Default Re: Doom 3 pre-rendered "dynamic shadows" ?

ninjaman cut the crap already. Your attitude towards sazar is unwarranted. HE knows how to behave in a forum, and it appears that YOU don't. Chill or go, d00d.

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 11:43 AM   #62
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
Sazar, it has been consistently proven to you again and again that you are imagining things. What the hell is wrong with you? Follow a damn sentry bot around and watch the shadows it casts. They're perfect. What makes you think that they would create extra models for EVERYTHING in the game JUST for the player's flashlight? That's completely retarded.
oi... I have rescinded and corrected the first post in the thread based on the information present here...

the "problem" is with particular objects in particular conditions... it does not appear to be a dynamic lighting problem but rather an issue with the rendering of the shadows (edges too sharp or shadow too dark) which causes an illusion of a floating shadow...

I posted this thread with a valid point based on what I was seeing in-game... and as you will have noticed in this thread I am not the only one "seeing things" and therefore by implication... "retarded"...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 01:03 PM   #63
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

You did continue to insist on your theory after several people decisively disproved it. I feel no need to defend my statements. Your fallacious comments are swaying some people's decisions as to whether or not they will buy the game, which is just plain wrong in my opinion.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 01:35 PM   #64
revbatboy
My cream is fat-free.

Quote:
You did continue to insist on your theory after several people decisively disproved it. I feel no need to defend my statements. Your fallacious comments are swaying some people's decisions as to whether or not they will buy the game, which is just plain wrong in my opinion.
If people are stupid enough not to buy the game because of his comments then they don’t deserve it. My 2 cents.
Old 08-04-04, 01:46 PM   #65
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

That's true. I guess it just makes me mad when I see stuff like this.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 08-04-04, 08:35 PM   #66
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
what have they decisively disproved... ?

pretty much everything else I am seeing does not show the same thing as what I noticed with the railings... I have also acknowledged the things that I had initially thought to be occuring appear not to be the case after further discussion and looking into stuff myself...

I fail to see how my saying that some shadows look like they are not being rendered correctly somehow will cause people to stop buying the game... I frankly don't care either way.. I personally would not have bought the game for other reasons but they sure as hell are not shadow related... if you feel that my comments somehow will cause ID not to make $100 million or so off this game and instead on $99, 999, 950 dollars coz someone was affected by what I said I fail to see the relevance...

I learn stuff as I go along... somethings about the engine I learnt as I have gone along... I read what carmack said and he does in fact in comments to b3d and others talk about his shadow rendering technique.. I see how it works with his engine but by themselves unsupported by other comments from programmers in this thread they did seem to support what I was physically seeing IN GAME...

other people have seen the same thing without me saying anything so I know for a fact that its not just me... as I said its possible that its just an issue with certain shadows off certain objects from certain angles... I made it VERY clear early on where it was that this was being exhibited... it was primarily with a large gap behind the object the light was cast on or certain angles... this effectively rules out most of the screen shots posted in this thread...

naturally I have decided to let the issue rest because it is effectively a non-issue... I wanted to know more and I have learnt more about the subject but @ the end of the day the shadows I pointed out STILL exhibit the same behaivior...

does it affect my game play experience? no it doesn't.. I continue fragging... there are other more pertinent objects on screen...

btw... I am not making crap up... I am reporting on exactly what I have seen IN GAME and therefore that doesn't constitute a fallacious statement/argument/point...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 12:09 AM   #67
Nv40
Agent-Fx

only thing that you need to know is that in Doom3 shadows tricks are possible if you want .Idsoftware use them for performance reasons most of the times. and in others to overcome the limitations of stencil shadow volumes. no shadow technique is perfect for every situation ,UNreal3 will do many diferent techniques for any situation ,it also will use Doom3 shadows. and any level designer can use the shadows they want. its as simple as drag and drop in the editor .to work with lighting/shadows in Doom3 more easier can't be .
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 09:34 AM   #68
pat777
NV420

When I played Doom 3 the shadows looked like they were floating in the air. However, they also looked like they were being affected by the geometry of the thing the shadow casts on so I think it's dynamic.
pat777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-04, 10:26 AM   #69
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Check the dates on the posts before you reply, this thread's been dead for a while. It's been proven that they aren't floating in the air, in this thread even.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 08-24-04, 11:09 AM   #70
pat777
NV420

Quote:
Check the dates on the posts before you reply, this thread's been dead for a while. It's been proven that they aren't floating in the air, in this thread even.
I've seen this thread since 8/05/04. I didn't have the game back then. I'm sorry if you don't like what I did. I just wanted to show how I felt about this even if it's already proven.
Old 08-24-04, 11:57 AM   #71
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

It's not that I didn't like you posting, it's just that it was settled a while ago. Sorry if I came off like a jerk.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 08-25-04, 12:11 AM   #72
pat777
NV420

Quote:
It's not that I didn't like you posting, it's just that it was settled a while ago. Sorry if I came off like a jerk.
Ok then, I guess this argument is over. Thank you for apoligizing to me.