Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Which has better overall graphics?
FarCry 15 15.15%
Doom3 57 57.58%
They are both good in their own ways 27 27.27%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-04, 11:58 PM   #25
UDawg
Retired spammer

Default Re: Now That We've Seen It... FarCry vs. Doom3 Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
Others knew about Far Cry for longer than you or I did I'm sure though. id Software has a proven/glowing track record and so it's only natural for them to be in the spotlight from day one for each game they work on. Crytek was unproven, X-Isle never materialized, etc...again, only natural for them to fly low on radar.

I had been following FC at least a year before it was out.
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 12:10 AM   #26
Edge
3d animator for hire!

I thought X-isle evolved into Farcry?
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 12:23 AM   #27
PaiN
Don't make me MAD!

I played through FC on a 9800XT and was awed by what I saw that engine do.....Now, Doom3 is incredible to look at and play but to be honest...its not giving me the same "shock value" I got from FC. I think it also has a lot to do with the setting, The dark and forboding of D3 can't match the sheer bright beauty of FC
Core i5 2500K @ 4.2ghz | EVGA Superclock M020 | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaws X PC1600 | EVGA GTX570 760/1950 | SB X-Fi Xtremegamer | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610w PSU | (2) WD Black 640gb in RAID"0" | MSI SATA DVD-RW | Saitek Eclipse kb | Logi G5v2 mouse / Steelseries QcK | Antec P182 "Gunmetal" | Logitech 5300a THX 5.1 speakers | ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD
-Windows7 64bit
PaiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 12:26 AM   #28
Skrot
The 5900XT that could.

Send a message via ICQ to Skrot

Hm I wonder what the r_hdr_blah settings do in Doom3? There's stuff like bloomlevel or something like that.

Can someone explain to me how the farcry engine has superior technology? Just cause of some pretty effects? They're pretty cheap... I would call a fully real-time rendered lighting system pretty damn advanced. And the fact that Doom3 runs so superbly for the near CG-quality visuals, the engine itself is very efficent. I would call that technically superior.

But that's just me.
Skrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 01:07 AM   #29
anzak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrot
Hm I wonder what the r_hdr_blah settings do in Doom3? There's stuff like bloomlevel or something like that.

Can someone explain to me how the farcry engine has superior technology? Just cause of some pretty effects? They're pretty cheap... I would call a fully real-time rendered lighting system pretty damn advanced. And the fact that Doom3 runs so superbly for the near CG-quality visuals, the engine itself is very efficent. I would call that technically superior.

But that's just me.
SM3.0 and FP16 blending support come to mind. IMO the graphics is not what made Far Cry great it was the free form gameplay. Im not saying the CRYengine is a slouch though, 1.2km draw distance and the ability to push a lot of polys even on lower end graphics processors is impressive. Far Cry also used many more advanced shaders than Doom 3. Doom 3 looks like a great indoor engine that has sub par terrain support.
anzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 02:22 AM   #30
evilchris

I vote both in their own ways. D3 has some crazy stuff like this shot I took:

http://members.cox.net/steeda/shot00032.jpg

Nice entrails!
Old 08-04-04, 02:23 AM   #31
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar
both are good in their own rights... but crytek out of nowhere produced far cry and made it the best looking game I have ever played...

doom 3 after about 4 odd years of development was EXPECTED to have stellar graphics and I for one have felt let-down by the whole experience... that said doom 3 imo is probably one of the best atmospheric games out there... and certainly (along with the thief and splinter cell games) one of the darkest...
FC had a 4 year+ dev time. I remember the original tech demo called Dino Island in 2000.
Old 08-04-04, 02:26 AM   #32
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel17
I think FarCry has the superior technology (3Dc, HDR, SM3.0, Offset mapping, Bumpmapping) and Doom3 has the better atmosphere, and artists for that matter, but apparently they like low rez textures.
D3 has bumpmapping, check your options. SM30 is DX so thats irrelevant as OGL can do the same things, including effects that will achieve the same result as HDR. 3Dc = who cares.

Old 08-04-04, 05:45 AM   #33
Overkill
KilledByDeath

Huh...This two games are too different.Far Cry is mostly "outdooor" game and D3 is "indoor".Second thing is D3 is too dark.So from that perspective FarCry has better graphic.
Overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 06:04 AM   #34
Skrot
The 5900XT that could.

I don't see how the game being darker means it has worse graphics... Different, yes. But worse? I don't think that's a unit of measurement that works in that sense...
Old 08-04-04, 06:11 AM   #35
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

doom3 looks way better in the way of lighting, but i feel they shot themselves in the foot by texture resolutions.

farcry is a nice looking game... but nothing like doom3 in the way of lighting IMO.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 06:30 AM   #36
Skrot
The 5900XT that could.

Ya know, while playing the game I never thought "man, those textures behind that fscking imp thats throwing fireballs at me are just sub-par!"... I only noticed that some of them were a bit low res when I stopped and looked at the walls, played with the bumpmapping with the torch...

I really don't see the textures as low-res when I'm playing, although... maybe if they were higher res, things would just look better without looking for it. Probably. I'm pretty sure I'd prefer the high frame rates I'm getting now, as opposed to some slightly better textures that most of the time really don't matter to me.

Last edited by Skrot; 08-04-04 at 07:01 AM.