Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Which has better overall graphics?
FarCry 15 15.15%
Doom3 57 57.58%
They are both good in their own ways 27 27.27%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-04, 06:53 AM   #37
majortom
Done

Send a message via AIM to majortom
Default Re: Now That We've Seen It... FarCry vs. Doom3 Graphics

in terms of just eye candy, i thought far cry had more. however, in terms of overall impression, i thought doom 3 was much more successful in utilizing what they had. its not just enough to have eye candy, but how to use it right, and doom 3 did it fantastically.
- cool!
- oh wait, never mind. i just peed on myself

---------------------------------------------------------
Mein Comp!:
MSI 6380 kt266| XP 1700+| 512M PC3200 @ 266mhz | 80 gig | MSI radeon 9800 pro 128m (r360 core)| nec 2500a 8x single layer burn (dl hack)| thermaltake silentpower 420W PSU| POS generic case| Grado SR 60 headphones
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 08:52 AM   #38
I/JG53_Jaguar

I think they are both great FarCry and Doom3. I guess after I have seen and played FarCry I'm not that surprised with Doom3 engine. Both of them are well done and polished. Graphics wise they both have pros and cons. FarCry was the first game where when I came out from the cave (training) and saw the houses on the beach; beatiful blue water (paradise redenring settings) I thought to myself: forget the game get a beer and enjoy the sun - damn it felt so real! The whole game it felt like I was on vacation in Mexico So far I didn't shoot anyone in D3 yet; great engine and I'm sure it will be scary as hell it's just that I'm not that much shocked by the engine as I was when I played FarCry. I like both games though no question about it...
I/JG53_Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 09:16 AM   #39
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

I already ranted about why the Doom 3 engine is more advanced than Far Cry in a different thread. Doom 3 is a better looking game, period. It seems that many people are saying that Far Cry looks better and haven't actually played Doom 3. To base your judgement off screenshots that people took to accentuate the VERY few low-res textures is stupid. There aren't even that many low res textures in the game for ****'s sake.

Anyone been on the Monorail yet and seen what kind of outdoors Doom 3 can do? Or any of the Martian Surface areas? Yeah, sorry, but it blows Far Cry away completely, no contest.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 09:34 AM   #40
kahloq

I definetly dissagree with the above post. I have both games and have played both. Im glad you like Doom3 and I do as well, however, Far Cry DOES look better. Looks arent the be all and end all tho. Doom3 DOES have a much better atmosphere and really draw you into the game. There have been times when my wife would be sitting there watching me play and we'd both jump half outa our seats. Everyone will have their own oppinions based alot in how much of a fan they are with the Doom series since it started back in '95.

Out doors, Farcry takes it easily. In doors, Farcry is kinda bland, BUT the textures are alot cleaner. No walking up to a wall and seeing smeared textures as in Doom3. However, Doom3 did that on purpose to add to the dark and foreboding atmosphere, Farcry is a CLEAN game with not alot of over the top gore. If everything in Doom3 was textured cleanly, the atmosphere would be lost.

And btw.....yes FARCRY does have sm3.0(patch 1.2), but doesnt USE everything available at the moment.
OCZ pc3500 performance 2 gig memory
OCZ 520 watt PSU
Asus p4c800deluxe-e motherboard
2 x 80g Sata HD's / 1 x 60g IDE / 1 x 40 g IDE
1 x DVD / 1 x lite on cdrw
7 case fans plus vantec dual fan pci card
BFG 6800 Ultra OC 456/1.28 Stock air
3.2P4(no OC)3dmark03 score :13570
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3195131
3.2 p4 @3.472 217FSB 6800u@ 425/1.28 3Dmark03: 13738
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3195221
WIFES PC: 3.2P4/BFG 6800GT/1 gig pc 3200
kahloq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 09:53 AM   #41
Clay

You know what guys? Unless we have a very similar scene from each game that is then rendered by the opposite game engine we're all just being grossly subjective. To argue this subjectivity is about as productive as arguing politics or religion.

I've seen plenty textures in Far Cry that are not very clean and plenty that are very clean.

I've seen plenty textures in Doom 3 that are not very clean and plenty that are very clean.

What more can be said that is worthwhile?

I personally believe that us americans are unable to do so because osama.

People out there in our nation don't have that, And I believe that our education like such as south africa and such as the Iraq.

everywhere "such as". And I believe our education should help the US should help the south africa and the iraq and the asian countries so we can build up our future.
-- Miss Teen South Carolina

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 09:55 AM   #42
mrrolf

Doom3 has better graphics.

Yes, FarCry does use some newer technology, but that doesn't mean anything. I can write a program that uses sm3.0, hdr and all that fancy stuff, but it doesn't mean the graphics are good, or it is more advanced.

Doom has unified lighting, which is a big step in computer games. You can do SO much with it. It makes it easier to create levels and makes the artists job much easier, and it shows.

I'm sure if id wanted, they could slap on sm3.0 and all the other fancy stuff with a patch.

I think FarCry does a better job in how they do their outdoor scenes. I don't mean the graphics are better.. I mean they took the time and figured out a nice LOD algorithm that works. It's amazing that they can have as much folage and plants in the game as they do. In that respect, FarCry is better.. but that's not 'graphics'.
mrrolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 10:07 AM   #43
kahloq

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrolf
Doom3 has better graphics.

Yes, FarCry does use some newer technology, but that doesn't mean anything. I can write a program that uses sm3.0, hdr and all that fancy stuff, but it doesn't mean the graphics are good, or it is more advanced.

Doom has unified lighting, which is a big step in computer games. You can do SO much with it. It makes it easier to create levels and makes the artists job much easier, and it shows.

I'm sure if id wanted, they could slap on sm3.0 and all the other fancy stuff with a patch.

I think FarCry does a better job in how they do their outdoor scenes. I don't mean the graphics are better.. I mean they took the time and figured out a nice LOD algorithm that works. It's amazing that they can have as much folage and plants in the game as they do. In that respect, FarCry is better.. but that's not 'graphics'.
1st thing is Doom3 is opengl and SM3.0 is Dx9.0c A patch cannot be made for Doom3 to use SM3.0

LOD algorithms ARE graphics.

Clay is correct, arguing about isnt productive and this is a subjective issue depending on the person.
OCZ pc3500 performance 2 gig memory
OCZ 520 watt PSU
Asus p4c800deluxe-e motherboard
2 x 80g Sata HD's / 1 x 60g IDE / 1 x 40 g IDE
1 x DVD / 1 x lite on cdrw
7 case fans plus vantec dual fan pci card
BFG 6800 Ultra OC 456/1.28 Stock air
3.2P4(no OC)3dmark03 score :13570
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3195131
3.2 p4 @3.472 217FSB 6800u@ 425/1.28 3Dmark03: 13738
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3195221
WIFES PC: 3.2P4/BFG 6800GT/1 gig pc 3200
kahloq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 11:26 AM   #44
thunderhippo
Quadcore Vista Confusion

doom3 hands down.
its an id game for god sakes..
of course it is better
thunderhippo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-04, 11:49 AM   #45
mrrolf

Quote:
1st thing is Doom3 is opengl and SM3.0 is Dx9.0c A patch cannot be made for Doom3 to use SM3.0
True, but openGL has the equivilent. I think they are extensions NV_vertex_program3, NV_fragment_program2.

Quote:
LOD algorithms ARE graphics.
LOD algorithms are used in grahics, but they don't put anything on the screen. They help organize data. FC has a nice terrain LOD.
mrrolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 11:56 AM   #46
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhippo
doom3 hands down.
its an id game for god sakes..
of course it is better
Well, the Quake 2 engine DID get it's ass handed to it by Unreal, which was developed by a bunch of (at the time) no-name developers no less. And while the Quake 2 engine focused more on small environments and lighting, the Unreal engine was able to produce huge environments and impressive effects (gee, that sounds familiar...). ID makes great looking games, but that doesn't mean they can't be outdone.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 12:01 PM   #47
majortom
Done

Send a message via AIM to majortom

have you guys noticed that d3d games look kinda cartoony (fc, ut2004, , while ogl games have that rough gritty look (quake, d3, alice)? it may be just me, but i have yet to see a d3d game that looks realistic.
- cool!
- oh wait, never mind. i just peed on myself

---------------------------------------------------------
Mein Comp!:
MSI 6380 kt266| XP 1700+| 512M PC3200 @ 266mhz | 80 gig | MSI radeon 9800 pro 128m (r360 core)| nec 2500a 8x single layer burn (dl hack)| thermaltake silentpower 420W PSU| POS generic case| Grado SR 60 headphones
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 12:19 PM   #48
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Farcry does have an OpenGL mode, you know. Also I think Chronicals of Riddick would count as a "realistic looking" D3D game (though the PC version isn't out yet). But I think it's just a matter of most games being based under D3D whereas OpenGL games are practically limited to ID engine games at this point (which are usually used for "realistic" looking games).
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote