Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-03-04, 10:50 PM   #1
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Default why Doom3 its much faster than the pre-alpha?

so far have been "playing" Doom3 or can i say.. study closely the diferences between the alpha and the Official release. well to my surprise the gains doesnt comes from genuine optimizations. but from "cheating" since they are lowering the detail.

the alpha use Normal maps/speculars everywhere.. in every single texture. and in the retail game have found many places that use plain textures without any eyecandy or light interactivity. another and really surprising and disapointing discovery is that it looks that they lowered the polycounts by a significant ammount in some of the characters ,specially the marine ,probably to make the game compatible with older hardware..

in the beta i only get smooth framerates at 800x600 in my GT + low ATlonXp no AA/AF.. in the final game im playing at 1600x1200 ,4xAA with same framerates than the beta. this is just one example of why legacy hardware is holding back the progress in graphics. the good news is that the MOD community will be able to raise the bar again ,same like it was with quakes games.. which they always push the envolope more in graphics. Doom3 still looks nice ,but its unfortunate that we will depend of the MOd community to really see what this engine is capable to do. its looks to me that Idsoftware have a higher quality version of some Doom3 characters that are merely used for marketing purposes of old E3 trailers of the game.

http://doom3.fragshack.com/media/doomguy.jpg

http://doom3.fragshack.com/media/desktop_3_lg.jpg

it looks like Doom3 of "PC" have been adjusted its quality/performance in favor of the Xbox version to be more easily portable there.

Last edited by Nv40; 08-03-04 at 11:21 PM.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 11:08 PM   #2
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Default Re: why Doom3 its much faster than the pre-alpha?

I agree with you Nv40. Its bull****. I expected better quality in the Final Release.

Thats what FarCry is for I guess. Good Eyecandy!
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 11:08 PM   #3
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

the graphics on the whole for teh game don't feel too bad... if you keep progressing and fragging...

since its a new and hyped game and I always liked moving round looking for caches of ammo behind sliding doors in doom and quake games I take my time and perhaps pay more attention than some to the game details much as you have described...

I never tried the alpha (thought it woulda been wrong to... same goes with the hl2 leak)

I think I've gotten over the hype now and am just "playing" the game for what it is and will reserve further judgement till its finished...

post a few screenies if you have a chance to nv40... coz I dunno what the models in the pre-alpha looked like other than some bad screenies
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 11:10 PM   #4
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

Maybe for once you guys can stop pissin about the quality of the textures and appreciate it for it's gameplay? As far as i'm concerned, it still looks f#cking brilliant and the gameplay is great.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 11:13 PM   #5
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Gameplay is superb in Doom3, but the graphics tech pales to FarCry's features. Hell, from its feature list, FarCry is a super tech demo.

I cant believe me, the biggest doom fan ever, would say FC looks better.

Man, id, your artists f**ked up with those textures... and carmack, well enough playing with your ******* rockets and put in some features for DX9 level cards
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 11:15 PM   #6
WeReWoLf

That's pretty much all Farcry is. A Tech Demo. The gameplay was half interesting, which made it just worthy enough to finish.
Old 08-03-04, 11:30 PM   #7
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeReWoLf5900
Maybe for once you guys can stop pissin about the quality of the textures and appreciate it for it's gameplay? As far as i'm concerned, it still looks f#cking brilliant and the gameplay is great.

who cares about game play? hehe.. just kidding..
but seriously ,the first thing i wanted to do ,in Doom3 was not to play ,but to see how much they improved the quality of the alpha. but it looks that is was the other way. as review have shown idSoftware have made Doom3 playable all the way to geforce4mx hardware with good quality. Doom3 gameplay my be revolutionary .. but the legacy support for very old hardware and maybe the Xbox have made idsoftware to tweak in the lower side the quality of the game. its still looks cinematic ,but it doesnt look to me that its at the level that the originally wanted. ACtivision promo shots shows that they already have more quality stuff ,not shown in the game.

if you look here the marine ave 5 fingers,very detailed.

http://doom3.fragshack.com/media/desktop_3_lg.jpg

ironically just like the alpha ,(albeit the armour have been enhanced in the above shot) DOom3 engine/editor can do this. but in the game they use a much lower poly version of the hands and arms of the marine. its not all bad quality wise.. again the MOd community will be able to do MOds with characters and levels as detailed as they want. its juts that you will not be able to enjoy Doom3 engine full potential out of the box.
Old 08-03-04, 11:35 PM   #8
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Red face Re: why Doom3 its much faster than the pre-alpha?

Dejavu ? DeusEx IW anyone ?

Haven't gotten my doom yet , but if its castrated similary to fit in Xbox thats sad

Old 08-03-04, 11:39 PM   #9
WeReWoLf

Well to prove a point, i've gotten the Beta to run on an Asus GeForce 4 Mx440. With a P4 1.5Ghz. And it was playable at high.
Old 08-03-04, 11:43 PM   #10
Nv40
Agent-Fx

--double post...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beta1.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	7312  Click image for larger version

Name:	retail1.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	7313  Click image for larger version

Name:	promo1.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	7315  Click image for larger version

Name:	Doom3_E3_2003b.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	7318  Click image for larger version

Name:	doomguy2.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	7319  

Last edited by Nv40; 08-04-04 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-03-04, 11:45 PM   #11
anzak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nv40
so far have been "playing" Doom3 or can i say.. study closely the diferences between the alpha and the Official release. well to my surprise the gains doesnt comes from genuine optimizations. but from "cheating" since they are lowering the detail.
OMG he is right! id is cheating on... err... Doo... or.. id? Wait! Cheating?

Quote:
it looks like Doom3 of "PC" have been adjusted its quality/performance in favor of the Xbox version to be more easily portable there.
You just said that your GT was only playable at 800x600 on the alpha, the fastest cards available can only run the game at 800x600? Not everyone can or wants to spend $400 or $500 just to play the game. So what if they needed to lower the poly count the game still looks amazing. I don't think this has anything to do with the Xbox, only older hardware (ie Radeon 9800 and Geforce 5950 which would be to slow to run the game).
anzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 11:48 PM   #12
anzak

Quote:
yes thats the word. Doom3 "PC" was castrated as much as possible to keep the performance up and playable in geforce4mx's
Jesus, you don't get it. Developing a game that requires at least a Geforce 5900 Ultra or Radeon 9800 Pro would bankrupt id. Less than 10% of it's consumers own such end cards. Vlave's survey said that 80% of half life players still owned a Geforce 4 MX card.
anzak is offline   Reply With Quote