Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-03-04, 11:49 PM   #13
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Talking Re: why Doom3 its much faster than the pre-alpha?

Was a bit overhyped , but that ok , its remake of Original doom , memorys and fun
Old 08-04-04, 12:01 AM   #14
UDawg
Retired spammer

Default Re: why Doom3 its much faster than the pre-alpha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeReWoLf5900
That's pretty much all Farcry is. A Tech Demo. The gameplay was half interesting, which made it just worthy enough to finish.

Your high. FC had great game play.
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 12:03 AM   #15
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

only when highly enibreated. the most fun i had in the game was the training and the mission after it. After those missions, it became more of a chore than anything else.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 12:06 AM   #16
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=DVS=-
Dejavu ? DeusEx IW anyone ?

Haven't gotten my doom yet , but if its castrated similary to fit in Xbox thats sad
Umm, they've said since the beginning that the Xbox's capabilities have been a prime factor in determining what features they developed for the game, watch the G4 interview. However the main things that they developed with the Xbox in mind were the lighting and surfacing effects, if you consider those effects "castrated" then I think you're expecting far too much out of the game. All the levels and textures in the PC version were built using the Geforce 3 as a model (since that was the most powerful card availible when the game was first being designed), which is also what they based the E3 2002 demo on. If they were using the Xbox as a model for every aspect of the game, the levels and textures would've been far, far smaller and less detailed than they currently are (take a look at the Xbox version, it looks OK, but the textures are probably a quarter the resolution of the PC version). The Xbox version also features models that are made of far less polygons than the PC version.

If anything it's their support for the Geforce 4 MX which has forced them to limit the game. Suprising they didn't just require pixel shaders so that they could focus entirely on taking advantage of them, rather than working on a fallback mode for cards that don't support it. Though I'm still confused as to why they support the GF4mx but not the GF2...it's the same technology just slightly slower.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 12:38 AM   #17
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzak
OMG he is right! id is "cheating" on... err... Doo... or.. id? Wait! Cheating?

You just said that your GT was only playable at 800x600 on the alpha, the fastest cards available can only run the game at 800x600? Not everyone can or wants to spend $400 or $500 just to play the game. So what if they needed to lower the poly count the game still looks amazing. I don't think this has anything to do with the Xbox, only older hardware (ie Radeon 9800 and Geforce 5950 which would be to slow to run the game).

perhaps.. you didnt notice the sarcasm when i told id was "cheating"?

and i have a very slow Cpu.. even though i have a GT.more polys can be handled easier with higher CPus.. i remember when quake3 and Unreal1 were released ,everyone was happy for many years upgrading their hardware just for those games. the goal in quake3 was the first hardware to get 60fps..beack then. but the point of my topic is only to make aware people that while Doom3 still rocks in graphics is not anywhere near the level that IDsoftware original game was originally heading at the begining (it looks like), (neither the level of graphics that MOD makers will be able to do) so they Downgraded the graphics to make them playable or portable in legacy hardware or Xbox. many game developers do that. the odd thing is that it looks like it was made at the last minute ,since last year E3 D3 trailers D3 still looks with more detail. i will trade easily fps for better grapics.. i will take Unreal3 anyday at 640x480 medium settings ,than Doom3 at 1600x1200 with highest AA/AF. still will looks as nice as Doom3 looks in geforce4mx..
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 01:21 AM   #18
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
yes thats the word. Doom3 "PC" was castrated as much as possible to keep the performance up and playable in geforce4mx's and made it more easily portable to the Xbox. DOnt think for a second that what you have seen in Doom3 is the maximun in graphics ,but the absolute minimun. any Quake3 level editor with experience can easily redesign the maps of the original game in a week with more eye candy if they want.

here is comparisons.. ignore the armour shyniness ,but look at the poly counts in the arms and detail in fingers..

2002 development in the alpha..

2003 development..
Last year E3 video screenshots..

Doom3 in game screenshots at Activision..

and this is the retail game.. -> 2004.

am i imagine things ? or something happened in the development of Doom3 later last year ? they were increasing the detail like this 8, 9, 10, even until last year E3 ,and suddenly dropped to 6-7. in the final stage of the game. notice that the performance in the alpha is far more demanding that the final game . How can miracle speed happen? and interseting theory ,that may be just speculation or might have something of truth. . and is that Doom3 was delayed last year because they wanted it to look good and playable in legacy class hardware ,so they spend this year improving its performance ,tweaking the graphics (lowering them) to make it playable with good quality in any video card made 4 years ago. and for better portability to Xbobx consoles.

the Doom3 engine is perfectly capable to do very high quality REnderings like this..

its quite possible This is the quality we will be playing if Idsoftware made the game more scalable with Higher end hardware like the next generation ATI/Nvidia ,which were demostrated in Unreal3 in realtime. with SLi around the corner there should be no problems.
edited...

again remember not saying that Doom3 game graphics looks bad..still think it looks overall better than FArcry in indoors ,but that is not anywhere near the level Idsoftware were pushing it at the begining..and i dont think it was slow performance of highend cards the reason since they can move more superior in graphics and in poly counts games ..eg Unreal3 engine demo. but more a move to get more of the hardware sales in the low end.

Last edited by Nv40; 08-04-04 at 02:34 AM.
Old 08-04-04, 02:05 AM   #19
evilchris

Do you honestly expect them to take 5 years dev time and spend millions and millions of dollars developing it and have it only work on the extreme high end cards? Gimme a break. iD is a business. The game runs a broad range of hardware. Refreshing change. I love the graphics, I can only take so much "island paradise".
Old 08-04-04, 02:09 AM   #20
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=DVS=-
Dejavu ? DeusEx IW anyone ?

Haven't gotten my doom yet , but if its castrated similary to fit in Xbox thats sad
Don't worry, it's nothing like that. It is awesome. No, you can't go swimming in the Caribbean like in FarCry, but it is still awesome. The game makes good use of modern hardware imo.

People:

EVERYTHING DOESN'T HAVE TO LOOK LIKE FARCRY.

Old 08-04-04, 02:09 AM   #21
anzak

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeda
Do you honestly expect them to take 5 years dev time and spend millions and millions of dollars developing it and have it only work on the extreme high end cards? Gimme a break. iD is a business.
Thank you.

BTW: Congratz on your 1k post
anzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 02:12 AM   #22
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Do you honestly expect them to take 5 years dev time and spend millions and millions of dollars developing it and have it only work on the extreme high end cards? Gimme a break. iD is a business. The game runs a broad range of hardware. Refreshing change. I love the graphics, I can only take so much "island paradise".

not what im saying.. just a game to be scalable not only with low end hardware ,but with Very high end. the 512 megs (ultra quality) doesnt justify the purchase of a higher card since there is not noticeable diference in IQ for most people. perhaps im asking to much if i say an ultra SLi Higher quality version will be very welcome for the more hardcore entusiast gamers.
Old 08-04-04, 02:12 AM   #23
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nv40
edited...

again remember not saying that Doom3 game graphics looks bad..still think it looks overall better than FArcry in indoors ,but that is not anywhere near the level Idsoftware were pushing it at the begining..and i dont think it was slow performance of highend cards the reason since they can move more superior in graphics and in poly counts games ..eg Unreal3 engine demo. but more a move to get more of the hardware sales in the low end.
Honestly, how often do you look at your player model while playing? I don't go around looking for mirrors personally...
Old 08-04-04, 02:17 AM   #24
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Honestly, how often do you look at your player model while playing? I don't go around looking for mirrors personally...

in multiplayer you can, and at all times ,you will look at players like you at all the times ,it helps in the realism of the game.